IGNORED

5200 mystery game of the week #3

kenfused

Has anybody gotten this to work in any of the emulators? I tried Rainbow and Atari800 emulators on the Mac with no success. The other two games work fine, just not this one.

Allan

I got it to run on my first try using Mark's Atari800MacOSX or whatever it's called :)

Need to look up the name everytime!

edit: ah, Atari800MacX.

http://members.cox.net/atarimac/

Updated version attached.  Reprogrammed the DLI's to use a few less cycles since the 5200 wastes a couple more cycles in it's NMI hander which seemed to cause minor screen problems on Atari800 Win and caused it not to run on a real 5200 properly at all.

I ran into this as well when converting A8 stuff to the 5200. The A8 OS gives top priority to DLI's leaving the maximum time available:

_nmi

BIT NMIST

BPL _pnmi1

JMP (VDSLST) ;DLI vector

_pnmi1

The 5200 does it this way:

_nmi

BIT NMIST

STA NMIRES

BMI _dli

BVC _notvbi

JMP (VVBI)

_dli

JMP (VDLI) ;DLI vector

This can make quite a difference if you've got something to do before a WSYNC.

-Bry

I ran into this as well when converting A8 stuff to the 5200.  The A8 OS gives top priority to DLI's leaving the maximum time available:

_nmi

BIT NMIST

BPL _pnmi1

JMP (VDSLST)     ;DLI vector

_pnmi1

The 5200 does it this way:

_nmi

BIT NMIST

STA NMIRES

BMI _dli

BVC _notvbi

JMP (VVBI)

_dli

JMP (VDLI)     ;DLI vector

This can make quite a difference if you've got something to do before a WSYNC.

-Bry

The additional DLI overhead seems to be pusing Preppie over the limit. The Preppie DLI's are doing a lot, and there are several of them handled by one routine with a jmp instruction updated by self modifying code. They each need to update a few colors and HSCROL and maybe the character base? I broke the jmp table into two separate tables so I could get rid of an ASL and some releated register moves, and also eliminate the self modifying code so I could just put the new DLI routine in the cartridge ROM so it could just compile with my support routines. The game also even uses Pokey timer interrupts. Hmmm maybe this goes in the programming group.

grrr..  Preppie crashes (or at least behaves strangely) when left on the title screen for a long while -- many minutes.   Looks like another thing to look at.

Odd, how long ? I had it sitting on the title screen for quite a while. :?

grrr..  Preppie crashes (or at least behaves strangely) when left on the title screen for a long while -- many minutes.   Looks like another thing to look at.

14 to 15 minutes. The game kinda usually acts like it starts playing but it looks weird. This in on Atari800Win Plus at least.

14 to 15 minutes. The game kinda usually acts like it starts playing but it looks weird. This in on Atari800Win Plus at least.

I let the game sit for almost 1/2 hour tonight and nothing happened. The game plays well on my 2 port. Maybe it was just a bad upload?

I let the game sit for almost 1/2 hour tonight and nothing happened.  The game plays well on my 2 port.  Maybe it was just a bad upload?

I did the uploading though. That's good to hear it works on the real thing without any problems (CPUWIZ indicated the same I believe). I would doubt it, but maybe a bug in the emulator. I have hung Atari800Win PLus more than once (where I have to kill it) in working on these game ports.