IGNORED

Activision Anthology for GBA (My first impressions)

cryptik76

I wasn't expecting the cartridge to be out yet since EBgames has it listed as shipping December 14th, but I was at Gamestop (aka Babbages or Software Etc.) tonight and I found it. I was ecstatic!

[Edit #2: Changed a few things, to clarify:]

Graphics: Just like they should be, even with the little black bars on either side (in order to keep the correct dimensions on the GBA's wider screen). The games look great on my GBA SP (because of the backlight), but you can increase the brightness in the options menu in case you're using a regular GBA.

Sound: The sound effects are spot-on, which they should be considering that it uses emulation technology. In the two or three games where I noticed any slowdown, the sound effects are affected slightly. The menu music is pretty good, too; digitized, with voices and stuff sometimes. How did they manage to fit this whole thing on a tiny GBA cartridge?

Controls: Controls are tight, considering that you're using a gamepad rather than a joystick. As such, it will take some adjustment. I found the controls to be responsive enough for me to kick butt in Spider Fighter, even in the Banana levels where everything's really fast. And in Kaboom!, I found out you can use the triggers to move back and forth, rather than the d-pad, if you prefer. I thought that was cool.

Extras: Like I said above, when you select a game you can easily view the manual (well, a text version), look at the label, and look at the box art. Very, very cool. Also there's a prototype game or two that is interesting, and some that will certainly only appeal to the likes of Atariage forum members (like the venetian blinds). With 50-odd games, how can we expect extras? Well, Aspyr gave them to us. Kudos!

Game speed: In two or three games (Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, possibly River Raid), I noticed a difference in game speed (they played a bit slower). It took a little getting used to, but it didn't bother me after a few minutes. The speed was consistent, though. The framerate didn't change noticeably. The rest of the games seem to play just as well as the originals, and at the correct speed (there might be slight differences here and there, I don't know. Others here would know much better than I would.). So it's possible that there are others that run slightly slower than normal, but there was nothing else that I noticed.

The box art: The box art makes the game stand out on the shelf because it looks like an Atari 2600 cartridge (though, strangely, it looks like an "Atari brand" cartridge rather than an Activision cartridge). This is cool and retro and will perhaps shoot some nostalgia into potential buyers who see it on the shelf.

Multi-player: I didn't play any multi-player, but this game makes me wish I had kept my old GBA simply for that. If you have two GBA's (or if you and a friend each have one) and a link cable you can play two-player games, apparently with only one cartridge. Though this is certainly not the same as playing on a TV (with two joysticks), it's a cool feature nonetheless.

So, overall, Aspyr definitely shows that they (or someone at the company) has a deep affection for the Atari 2600 and also the Atariage community, since they included some homebrews and protos. It's a great collection that will probably not leave my cartridge slot for weeks. If you have a GBA, get this collection. If you don't, buy it anyway because Aspyr deserves the sales due to their making this available in the first place. :D

Hope this is informative!

Now I kind of wish I hadn't ordered through Aspyr - it might have been quicker just to go to the store. :|

I think the two player mode requires both players to look at one screen, so it may not work all that well for two player action (peering over someone's shoulder doesn't seem like much fun).

How did Kaboom! do with the transition from paddle to gamepad?

Good review - thanks!

I guess I won't be buying this one then. I can't stand a game in a different "speed" or with a noticeably different frame rate or that has totally screwed up colors or sound. Oh well, that's more money to spend on something else.

How is it possible for my Namco Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Dig Dug, and Pole Position to seem to play exactly the way they are supposed to on the GBA SP, but it can't manage to display some 2600 games properly? Weird.

Nathan, playing two-player games on the GBA doesn't require that both look at the same screen. Each player looks at their own GBA screen.

And, while Gamestop/Software Etc./Babbages has apparently put the game on store shelves, EBgames still has it listed to ship 12/14. I don't know if Gamestop broke the street date (meaning they released it before they were supposed to) or what. That's the only place I've seen it, though.

[Edit: Oh, and I added this above, but when you play Kaboom! you can either use the d-pad to move back and forth, or you can use the triggers (similar to Super Breakout on Atari Anniversary Advance, if you're familiar with that). I did pretty bad when I played Kaboom! tonight, but I've always sucked at that game anyway.]

Cavelevel, I think I might have made too big a deal out of the framerate difference (which I only noticed in a few games, like two or three, out of the 45 or so I've played tonight). It's really not a big deal, anyway, and I'd hate for you to reject the game based on my post. And the colors and sound are not screwed up. If you're going to get hung up on such details, I don't know what to say. Whatever.

Oh, and the reason why the Namco Museum plays smoothly on the GBA is because those games are remakes, not emulated. I'm guessing that the fact that the Activision Anthology uses emulation technology is the sole reason why they could fit 55 games on one cartridge, while Namco Museum has 5.

Nathan, playing two-player games on the GBA doesn't require that both look at the same screen.  Each player looks at their own GBA screen.

This is actually not true with the GBA Anthology, a second GBA connected to the GBA with the cartridge simply acts as a controller for two player games. There isn't enough memory in the GBA to host a 2600 game with the emulator, nor is there enough bandwidth to transmit the screen display and audio. This was added as a nice extra, as opposed to having no two-player support at all.

I have thoroughly played all the games in the GBA Anthology and while some of them may not run full-speed, it's only the die-hards like us who would even notice the difference. :) It is extremely difficult to get proper 2600 emulation running at full speed on the GBA. The GBA is not a very powerful piece of hardware (especially compared to computers and other devices that properly emulate the 2600), and the 2600 is not a very easy system to emulate accurately at all. The fact that no public 2600 emulators have been released yet, despite the GBA's age, should say something right there.

While I am certainly a bit biased (having been involved with the project), the GBA Anthology is a must have if you're a 2600 fan and have own a GBA. :)

..Al

Nathan, playing two-player games on the GBA doesn't require that both look at the same screen.  Each player looks at their own GBA screen.

This is actually not true with the GBA Anthology, a second GBA connected to the GBA with the cartridge simply acts as a controller for two player games. There isn't enough memory in the GBA to host a 2600 game with the emulator, nor is there enough bandwidth to transmit the screen display and audio. This was added as a nice extra, as opposed to having no two-player support at all.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know. I shouldn't have corrected him without knowing for sure.

I have thoroughly played all the games in the GBA Anthology and while some of them may not run full-speed, it's only the die-hards like us who would even notice the difference.  :)

...While I am certainly a bit biased (having been involved with the project), the GBA Anthology is a must have if you're a 2600 fan and have own a GBA.  :)

That's the way I look at it, and I was hoping that that came through with my first impressions (though I didn't want to ignore the slowdown either).

One thing this collection has done for me already is I've learned that Dragster is a really awesome game (I could never figure out how to avoid blowing my engine before), and Robot Tank kicks Battlezone's butt. Oh, and that Enduro is still one of my favorite racing games ever.

I'm really thrilled (and amazed) to be playing these games on my little GBA SP. I hope they sell a million copies, and that maybe we'll even see more 2600 games on the GBA (an Atari or Imagic collection, anyone?).

Well, that tears it.  I've put off buying a new game unit for a long time...now I have an excuse to get a game boy advance!  I guess now all I have to decide is standard or SP!

SP. I just bought mine a few weeks back, and have been very happy with it. (Although I seem to be the only one on the planet who wishes d-pads were on the right side, but I'm adapting to being a lefty. ;) )

The fact that it folds is extremely cool, making it very compact, and it protects the screen which is a big plus. Also, I don't think I could ever play it without the backlight, which is exclusive to the SP.

My only gripe - headphone adapter not included. :(

I picked this up today. I checked the games that are usually problamatic on emus and they seem fine.. albeit a little slow, but I don't think it affects game play at all sans Kaboom! which needs a paddle. Pitfall II plays very well and it even sounds good. My biggests complaint is that it seems too dark/washed out. The 2600 colors don't seem to transfer really well. Overall I am greatful to have this collection as a portable compilation. Interestingly, I tried Dragster and after a couple of plays, I already broke 6 secs. My old joystick trick works with the SP gamepad :)

-Lee

My biggests complaint is that it seems too dark/washed out. The 2600 colors don't seem to transfer really well. Overall  I am greatful to have this collection as a portable compilation.

I think this has more to do with the lousy screen on the SP more than anything else. While it's certainly an improvement over the original GBA screen, it's still not that great compared to what is possible with LCD technology these days.

..Al

My biggests complaint is that it seems too dark/washed out. The 2600 colors don't seem to transfer really well. Overall  I am greatful to have this collection as a portable compilation.

I think this has more to do with the lousy screen on the SP more than anything else. While it's certainly an improvement over the original GBA screen, it's still not that great compared to what is possible with LCD technology these days.

..Al

I have not seen Activision GBA Anthology, beaucse I dont have Gamecube console. But I do have Activision Anthology for PS2. I wondering which is better screen to play on Gamecube or PS2 (Activision Anthology)?

Thanks for sharing your impressions, cryptik76. It looks like I need to get this. :)

I was thinking that you could have great fun with this if you've got a GameCube with a Game Boy Player. Load up Activision Anthology in the GBP, then link a GBA to it and it effectively becomes player 2's controller.

With linking two actual GBA systems, it's a little harder, since one player will be holding the system that's displaying the screen image, and the other player has to look over at the tiny screen, which might be difficult if the first player keeps moving and shaking the unit. Still, it's a welcome feature.

I have not seen Activision GBA Anthology, beaucse I dont have Gamecube console. But I do have Activision Anthology for PS2. I wondering which is better screen to play on Gamecube or PS2 (Activision Anthology)?

I'm just guessing here, as I haven't seen the GBA version, but I'd say the PS2. The reason for this is because it is able to reproduce the 2600 games at their full resolution, whereas the resolution in the GBA version (which is what you would be playing on the GameCube) is reduced.

The GBA version does have some games that aren't on the PS2 version, so that's one incentive to get the GBA version even if you've already got it for PS2. Also, the GBA doesn't need to load from a disc like the PS2 (although the load times on the PS2 are negligible apart from the initial load). Finally, when you're done playing the GBA version on the GC, you can take out the cartridge, slip it into a GBA, and play those great games on the go. :)

I got mine at GameStop last night -- they didn't have them on the shelf yet -- I had to ask.

I rushed home & played for hours & hours & hours... eventaully, my hands & eyes hurt so badly that I dragged my tired ass to bed. It was just like being 12 again!

EVERYONE on this forum needs to own this. If you don't have a GBA -- go get 1 just for this release. I'm serious. Yes, it's that good! :!:

-PongHit

It has come to my attention that there is some concern over my use of a flashcart in the above picture, which has since been removed (and reposted below)

Just to clear the air, I did purchase the game (just like the ps2 Anthology, right on the day of release even). Now having said that I don't apologize for using any devices within my disposal, but the last thing I want to do is condone the use of devices simply for free games and piracy. :P Long time board member should know however, that I always have and always will be a supporter of the classic gaming scene. ;)

By the way my comments still stand that it KICKS ASS.. albeit some games move a little slower and some colors are somewhat washed.. but those are small quibbles. It's great playing these games on the go for sure. I played Enduro while waiting for the wife shopped for 6 hours yesterday :lol:

post-31-1070840518_thumb.jpg

post-31-1070840519_thumb.jpg

Guess what I'm getting for x-mas? A Onyx GBA:SP

Guess what types of games I'm getting?

SMB Advance series, and the collections just like this one. w00t.

Do yourself a favor and get Wario Ware as well. Over 200 minigames (some of them based on old NES games, some of them very strange), hurled at you one after another, faster and faster.

Pure awesome gaming.

Hmmm, hadn't planned on getting this, but I did anyway. I've bought 4 friggin' variations of this for the PC, the Playstation One, the Playstation 2, and now the GBA. This might just be the best version yet!

I didn't realize this was out already, so upon seeing this announcement here, I snagged the ROM from usenet :ponder: and loaded it into Visual Boy Advance. Crikey, they got the sound right on Pitfall II! That's something that the PS2 version didn't even have. Homebrew games, including Okie Dokie and Oystron? Holy crap! I prepared to get my flash cart stuff ready (haven't put anything new on it in weeks, as Pocket NES and Elite have sufficed). After all, this was going to be tough to find in shops, just like the XBOX version of Midway Treasures was, I figured.

Saw it in GameStop while popping in a nearby shop for something else, grabbed it, in awe of how good this turned out. This more than makes up for the horrendous Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon I also had the misfortune of buying recently.

I miss the Imagic games, particularly Demon Attack. Anyone know why they aren't on here? I thought Activision owned the rights to all things Imagic. Technical problems?

Legal, portable Starmaster, Enduro, Dragster, and so many more. If you don't already have a GBA SP, I can't think of a better reason to get one right now.

I have two hopes for this title:

1. That it sells as well as it deserves to, given its quality, and that Aspyr is rewarded for taking this goofy chance for what seems to be love of the past.

2. That it's modular enough that other ROMs can be put into it, if not for another commercial collection, than for Sega Smash-Pack style swapping ... or the way the original Action Pack could be hacked with other ROMs. I don't wish Aspyr or the copyright holders any harm, I just adore the emulator and the look of VCS games on the GBA screen. :love: :love:

The menu music is pretty good, too; digitized, with voices and stuff sometimes.  How did they manage to fit this whole thing on a tiny GBA cartridge?
I'm pretty sure that this was a rhetorical question, but I can't resist being a smartypants. The whole cartridge size is 8MB. Since all of the Atari VCS ROMs in existence could fit on a single 1.44MB diskette, this selection of 50 ROMs, most under 4K, leaves well over 6.5MB for MusX-compressed sound, the little cartridge bitmaps, and the coporate logos. MIDI versions of the 80s tracks on the PS2 Anthology would have fit well, too. Maybe for Volume 2? :twisted: