IGNORED

How many 2600 games are worth 1k+

Buyatari

I'm working on a list of top 10 most expensive console based games.

To give Atari is fair due I was curious as to what you guys thought were the ones which are worth one thousand bucks or more.

The list I have so far.

Air Raid complete $4,000

Video Life complete $3,000

Ultravision Karate complete $2,000

Gauntlet (labeled version) complete $2,000

Eli's Ladder complete $1,500

Coke vs Pepsi complete $1,400

Malagai complete $1,300

Lockjaw complete $1,200

Quadrun complete $1,000

River Patrol complete $800

Magicard complete $750

Released Atari 2600 games

- Video Life (especially boxed)

- Malagai (boxed)

- Gauntlet (boxed)

- Air Raid (loose, let alone boxed)

I think these are guaranteed to sell for $1k+. There are other candidates like boxed River Patrol, Lochjaw, a complete Magicard, but those really depend on the number of bidders that are interested in the item at a given time. Besides these, there are many protos that fetch more than $1k. That Snow White that was on eBay recently is an example.

Cheers,

Marco

are you thinking of $1000 for just the game by itself? because the packaging makes the price skyrocket. a never opened shrinkwrapped NTSC asterix is currently selling for over $1000, but a loose one...i doubt it. in the past couple years, the only loose non-prototype game i have seen sell on ebay for over $1000 is magicard. private transactions are a different story. anyone have specific details of a loose game being sold for over $1000? cough ** air raid ** cough ** gauntlet **

some of the boxed titles on ebay for over $1000:

malagai $1350

almost, but not quite:

quadrun $935 (and that included the game master patch)

lochjaw $960

why not give your opinion adam. there are only a couple collectors that are willing to pay over 1K for an atari game. which loose games would you pay over 1K for...NTSC mangia, eli's ladder, air raid, gauntlet?

there are only a couple collectors that are willing to pay over 1K for an atari game

A couple? I know of 25 or so off the top of my head. If I was going to sell my rare stuff, I would never even need ebay :) A Grand is doable, its those 2600-3K ones I struggle to justify...

Vegas, Philly and Austin are full of crazys (of course I know I am there too). If you think carts are bad, wait until you see rare arcade prices.

Cassidy

Wow! I don't think ANY game is worth that much, unless it comes in a pristine condition cabinet with working controls. LOL! I've got college to pay for!!! I'm already pushing it when I go on a binge - buying 2 or 3 games at 8-10 bucks!

But that's only my opinion. Guess I'm not so much a hardcore collector as I am a hardcore gamer. :-)

kthx

There isn't a single Atari game worth over $100 let alone $1000.  These games are obsolete and very few people care about them outside of a handful of people making the idea of paying $1000 bordering on ludicrous.

An item is worth what people are willing to pay. A complete, boxed, mint Malagai such as was sold on eBay recently for $1500+ had a number of bidders on it, so obviously there's demand and people want it. Obsolescence is irrelevant; every console and computer but the most current is obsolete by definition. This has no bearing on its worth. Its worth is what people think it is worth. An old Pentium 1 computer might get $50 because that's all anyone is willing to pay. An even older Heavy Sixer might get over $100 because, to any collector, that's what they are willing to pay. If a game regularily fetches in excess of $1,000, then that's what it's worth. If DaVinci's original Mona Lisa barely topped $100 at any given art auction, then that's all it's worth.

It's all relative. What it's worth to you bears no resemblance to what it may be worth to others.

My question is this: After our generation gets done with all this rabid collecting and nostalgia, and we save our collections until old age, will it sell for as much or more than we paid? Will there be anyone in generations to come who will want our collections at any price? I hope mine never ends up at a yard sale or thrift store and gets rifeled through by those who do not care about or understand its value. :sad:

I think the reason why collectors will pay 1k for a cart is that they hope they will eventually resell that cart 2k, thus making 1k in profit. It`s not really about "collecting", it`s more about making profit. It is some kind of "gambling" really...

That's a good way to put it. Most people out there would invest 1K in the stock market or perhaps a high yield mutual fund if they want a 100% profit. :D

I think the reason why collectors will pay 1k for a cart is that they hope they will eventually resell that cart 2k, thus making 1k in profit. It`s not really about "collecting", it`s more about making profit. It is some kind of "gambling" really...

For All those collectors, i wish them a lot of luck!! belive it or not, there are a few hardcore collectors who collect for their love of atari and never even once thought of reselling their collection!

these would be mine (in order) top choices (released):

air raid-loose

Video life-loose

gauntlet-loose

karate-loose (ultravision of course)

lochjaw-boxed

Eli's ladder-boxed

malagia-boxed

Quadrun-boxed

river patrol-boxed

magicard-complete (maybe someday this will worth 1K again)

even thou quadrun is not a "10" loose, Boxed it's a solid 10! and

a bit under rated because of it's loose rating. IMO :wink:

NTSC Asterix: being that there was a large stash of these found, i don't think it's not even close to what any one on the above list is worth!

Happy holidays,

Rick

NTSC Asterix:  being that there was a large stash of these found, i don't think it's not even close to what any one on the above list is worth!

Happy holidays,

Rick

That large stash is 12 copies AFAIK. ;) :ponder:

When Steve brought my copy over to my house he told me that he always requested 2 cases of his games from Atari and got them (6 in a case). He just forgot about these because they were stashed away in a closet at his moms house. :D

NTSC Asterix:  being that there was a large stash of these found, i don't think it's not even close to what any one on the above list is worth!

Happy holidays,

Rick

When Steve brought my copy over to my house he told me that he always requested 2 cases of his games from Atari and got them (6 in a case). He just forgot about these because they were stashed away in a closet at his moms house. :D

that 6 more then boxed quadruns that i know of.. :ponder:

Happy holidays,

Rick

that 6 more then boxed quadruns that i know of.. :ponder:

marco (B)

rick weis (B)

cpuwiz (B)

bfstats (B)

esylvia (B)

buyatari (B)

nathan strum (B)

MayhemUK (B)

:ponder: :? :P

That may be true of some collectors, but I think for many it is the desire to have as complete a collection of released Atari 2600 titles as possible. I've rarely given much thought to, "Man, I can make a killing on this!" when buying (or trading for) rare games. I would, perhaps, if I happened to stumble upon a boxed Quadrun for $2 at the thrift store. :)

I have not paid over $1K for any released 2600 games. I have paid more than that for protos, though.

..Al

My question is this:  After our generation gets done with all this rabid collecting and nostalgia,  and we save our collections until old age,  will it sell for as much or more than we paid?  Will there be anyone in generations to come who will want our collections at any price?  I hope mine never ends up at a yard sale or thrift store and gets rifeled through by those who do not care about or understand its value.   :sad:

Well its possible that the current collecting fad might 'crash' ;) which

is not unusual with collectables especially pop culture ones (comics,

cards, pogs, beanies, etc.) That'll wipe out the speculators and decrease

prices but the dedicated people will still be there to enjoy the new price

scale.

I think that in the future moldy old Atari games will continue to be

collected. Coin and stamp collectors don't just collect whats current. The

big spenders are out after that obscure stamp from a country that disappeared a 100 years ago. Atari is a land mark brand in video games

especially in the early pioneer days.

What I expect is that a lot of the ultra common stuff might become next

to worthless and be thrown out. Atari collecting will become more exclusive as time goes on and the number of people interested in having

5 copies of Combat, Pacman, ET, etc. will dwindle. The problem with

game collecting is that it takes up a lot of space and dealers will only

want to keep the valuable stuff around.

I can understand why someone would consider forking over quite a bit of dough on a prototype - especially if it is of a game that was never released, or if they have quite a bit of interest in the different stages of development in the game. 1000 bucks still seems a bit steep, but not nearly as outrageous as paying 1000 smackers for a Quadrun. (Time for some Atari blasphemy) I don't even care for Quadrun.

... runs away to hide, giggling all the way.