IGNORED

Amiga Lynx Dev. Kit

TailChao

I just picked up an Amiga 1000 recently, and would like to know if there is any way to get a copy of the original lynx dev kit (but only the software portion, since I am quite interested in the HSFX program). ANy help would be appreciated, thanks!

-TailChao

and, no this is not for zonik =P

Edit: Also, the amiga is, erm, quite incomplete right now, there is no HDD to my knowledge, and I need a good monitor (or an adapter so It can share it with my PC, but through the Amiga's RGB port, since it came with the genlock, and I would like to use that) keyboard and mouse. If anyone has any suggestions of places to look for such accesories, please tell! Thanks!

the lynx devkits used amiga 2000 or 3000s.there were some plans of this

being changed at atari to use pc clones and the like.the only things like

this are the bll,handy,ame and metalynx emulators.also,you need a how-

ard board setup for an amiga--a 1000 is not powerful enough to drive a

howard setup(should you find one and the software for it.)you need a

much different amiga.--the lynxer

the lynx devkits used amiga 2000 or 3000s.there were some plans of this

being changed at atari to use pc clones and the like.the only things like

this are the bll,handy,ame and metalynx emulators.also,you need a how-

ard board setup for an amiga--a 1000 is not powerful enough to drive a

howard setup(should you find one and the software for it.)you need a

much different amiga.--the lynxer

I'm not looking for the howard board setup, only HSFX, the sound editor, which, I believe, the A1000 can handle.

The Amiga 1000 wasn't designed to use an internal hard drive. You could use an external, though. There was one available for the A500 that plugged into a slot on the side of the machine. That external could be used on the A1000 (upside down) if I remember right. The A1000 also needs to be started with a Kickstart floppy disk. If you don't have one of those, you are pretty much screwed. I'm not sure where Kickstart floppies can be found. I don't think you could just download one and put it on a standard PC floppy. The Amiga used (If i'm recalling it right) 720kb floppies.

The Amiga 1000 wasn't designed to use an internal hard drive. You could use an external, though. There was one available for the A500 that plugged into a slot on the side of the machine. That external could be used on the A1000 (upside down) if I remember right. The A1000 also needs to be started with a Kickstart floppy disk. If you don't have one of those, you are pretty much screwed. I'm not sure where Kickstart floppies can be found. I don't think you could just download one and put it on a standard PC floppy. The Amiga used (If i'm recalling it right) 720kb floppies.

I think I've got a kickstart lying around somewhere, if I cant find it though it is possible to make one on a PC, there usually is software to allow reading and writing of un-native (non-fat) drive formats on PC, and I have plenty of 720k floppies around... I'll look into the external HDD, don't want to do back to swapping floppies =P

So much disinformation in a thread...

Yes, Amigas use DSDD 3-1/2 inch floppies, but they custom format them to well over 720K (880 KB If memory serves).

Any kind of Amiga can run the Lynx dev tools as well as the UAE emulators. Since you have a PC, you'd have an easier time running WinUAE IMHO.

HSFX is most useful with a Pinky/Mandy (unfortunately not a Howard board :( ). There is no sound from the Amiga to hear what you are creating. HSFX can download a routine to the Pinky/Mandy and interface with it to play the effects you are working on though.

As far as getting a copy of HSFX, just send me an email or PM when you Workbench up and running on something.

Harry

So much disinformation in a thread...

Yes, Amigas use DSDD 3-1/2 inch floppies, but they custom format them to well over 720K (880 KB If memory serves).

Any kind of Amiga can run the Lynx dev tools as well as the UAE emulators.  Since you have a PC, you'd have an easier time running WinUAE IMHO.

HSFX is most useful with a Pinky/Mandy (unfortunately not a Howard board :( ).  There is no sound from the Amiga to hear what you are creating.   HSFX can download a routine to the Pinky/Mandy and interface with it to play the effects you are working on though.

As far as getting a copy of HSFX, just send me an email or PM when you Workbench up and running on something.

Harry

Disinformation is what makes the dev world fun ;) *shot*

Anyways, sorry for my noob-ness to the lynx-amiga world, I've only ever used BLL. Also, is it possible to transfer the routines over to the BLL kit, and execute them in Handy? I'll contact you as soon as I get the Amiga o' doom to live (need $ for keyboard... If anyone knows a good place to get one, please tell!).

Thanks!

ZONIIKKUUUU!!!!!!

Disinformation is what makes the dev world fun ;) *shot*

Anyways, sorry for my noob-ness to the lynx-amiga world, I've only ever used BLL. Also, is it possible to transfer the routines over to the BLL kit, and execute them in Handy? I'll contact you as soon as I get the Amiga o' doom to live (need $ for keyboard... If anyone knows a good place to get one, please tell!).

Thanks!

ZONIIKKUUUU!!!!!!

Now you've come to the next part - to use HSFX data, you need the hsfx libraries which last I knew were not rewritten to be bll compatible. Once you have a way to send data between the PC and the Amiga, I've written routines to make things run in Handy though.

I am also interested in the HSFX. I don't have a problem with the tunes themself. My abcmusic-module works fine. But trying to invent good instrument-sounds by guessing values for shift, backup and flags is a pain. Carls SFX-cart helps a little but if there is some better way I would love to hear about it.

What kind of controls does the HSXF program have for setting up a sound on the Lynx?

--

Cheers,

Karri

PS. I already have a bll-compatible version of abcmusic and soon also a C-library. They will be placed on the Stardreamer website soon.

Thanks Harry.

So basically it splits the sound generation to three phases:

- frequency

- waveform (which affects frequency, I'm afraid)

- amplitude

and then it allows smooth transitions from one setting to the next by using "interpolate".

Unfortunately this won't help me with abcmusic as I already have frequency and amplitude under control. And finding a good waveform by kicking a shift-register requires a lot of patience.

But I admit the HSFX can generate slides in frequency and amplitude that my code can not do. These might be quite useful in games.

--

Cheers,

Karri

Unfortunately this won't help me with abcmusic as I already have frequency and amplitude under control. And finding a good waveform by kicking a shift-register requires a lot of patience.

But I admit the HSFX can generate slides in frequency and amplitude that my code can not do. These might be quite useful in games.

Heck, all this is also possible with the sound code in the BLL kit, but there is no editor for it... until now.

• 4 months later...