IGNORED

So.. tell me about Mr. Driller...

Jasoco

Yes. I said it.

I have never ever played Mr. Driller. Yet everyone raves about it. I think it's partly because it came out when I was playing the N64 and it only came out on the DC and PSX (?). (As well as GBC, but like I play Game Boy games.)

What is it? How do you play? What's the big attraction? What systems is it on? Where can I get it? Will I like it? Is it a clone of another game?

I remember on the old Nuon forums that Jeff Minter (Yak) said that it was one of his essential games. He always had a copy in his GBA.

I personally didn't care for it too much. I just couldn't get into it. They say it's like a combination between Tetris and Dig Dug.

It's an awesome puzzle game. Or survival horror, depending on your point of view ;p

You gotta get the little dude down to the bottom of this large pillar of colored blocks without running out of air or getting squished. It's surprisingly addictive (my friend spent 15 bucks in an 25 cent arcade machine of it before) and very very goofy. Kinda game that'd work well in an 80s arcade.

1. Combine blocks into groups (even unbreakable ones) for power chains and to clear space.

2. You drill faster than blocks fall. If an avalanches is coming, tear ass down or across.

3. Oxygen is more precious than diamonds, and racks up big bonus points, so DIG IT.

4. Achieve zen. The best runs will come when you're so in the zone it's almost a trance.

True of any good puzzle game really. Tetris, Street Fighter II Turbo, Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League, Mr. Driller, et cetera the list goes on and on.

Oh, and I just bought a Mr. Driller Ace for GBA on eBay. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEBWN:IT

MegaManFan said...

Oh, and I just bought a Mr. Driller Ace for GBA on eBay.

- - - -- - - -

You have chosen wisely. Let me know if you manage to beat the south pole. That's _HARD_. Oh well, that's what the GB-player is for. :D

Hex.

[ Can't find his DC version of Mr. Driller... and is breaking into a mild sweat... ]

the blocks are random, but not completely. each level has a different quirk about the arrangement of blocks, the most obvious is the two color level, which seems easy, but those players that like to go super fast, that level is a death trap. some levels have are higher concentration of large blocks, which if they fall at all, they will break, and make a mess if there is too much stuff sitting on top of them.

once you get pretty good with the game to where you can beat 5000ft mode, get some practice on the survival game. i still cant get 10,000 but ive come awfully close. the key is to go straight down as much as possible. you dont have to pay attention to the entire board, just whats directly above you. if you know a certain color block is falling toward you, look for another block of that same color on either side of your pit, and that block will stick to it, and it will clear your path until the next oxygen tank.

random thoughts on a modern classic :)

True of any good puzzle game really.  Tetris, Street Fighter II Turbo, Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League, Mr. Driller, et cetera the list goes on and on.

Oh, and I just bought a Mr. Driller Ace for GBA on eBay. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18808&item=3073456828&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWN:IT

You mean Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, right? ;)

Magical Drop is another fantastic puzzler.