IGNORED

Activision's Decathlon without Pole Vault Glitch

bobafett07728

About a year ago, I posted a thread concerning this game. One of my questions was referring to the infamous "pole vault" glitch. I was initially discouraged because I couldn't perform the "trick", and therefore couldn't get the top pole vault scores. Due to the fact that I could perform the cheat on emulators, I had assumed that I had a cartridge that did not contain this glitch. Needless to say, I don't think anyone bought it, and most claimed that an "error-free" Decathlon cartridge didn't exist.

Since then I have been trying to pick up an inexpensive Decathlon cartiridge, so that I can confirm my assumptions. My first attempt was unsuccessful, as the cartridge I purchased didn't work. :( However, I recently purchased a Decathlon game, that came with the original instructions (My game came with a b&w instruction book, nothing like the original.) I immediately placed the newly purchased game in the system, and viola, it has the pole vault glitch! Yeah!

All this time I had been playing with a later version of this game, that obviously had this sneaky Pole Vault technique fixed. The later release would also explain the cheaply done instruction manual (the manual doesn't even mention the patches, and has no pictures!!!!!)

I'm sure there were a few skeptics, and maybe even a few people who may have believed that I had such a cartridge. I'm not sure of its rarity, and I'm really not concerned, either. I just needed to make sure that I wasn't crazy, and I could indeed perform a simple PV cheat, and it was the cartridge.

Congrats on performing the cheat. I always enjoyed watching my score say crazy things like "ptsptspts!". :D

Maybe you could get someone to compare the rom on your fixed cart with the regular Decathalon rom to confirm that yours is different. I could certainly believe they fixed it.

yeah if your gonna be at PC5, then just ask the Als at the AA area. I am sure that if given advanced notice, I am sure Al will make sure to bring along the 7800 dev system to dump carts with. He usually does for the bigger shows. I know that if I were to attend the Philly Classic or any of the larger scale shows, I would bring mine in hopes that when Matt came by with all of his Protos...I could snag me some roms!!!

hehe... ;)

most of the time, i attribute color variation in activision labels to fading. sometimes, it is obvious, when the end label is sun faded to pink while the main label is purple (how long did that cart sit in the sun at a flea market waiting to be bought?). are there really two different (and consistent) colors for decathlon labels? could you post a side-by-side pic of these two?

I think he means these blue labels:

http://www.atariage.com/label_page.html?La...8&SystemID=2600

Decathlon isn't listed, but I bet it exists. But the blue labels came out later, so I'd think those would be the ones with the bug fixed. Unless when they started that production run they used the wrong ROM image.

There are also white ones:

-paul

Both of my carts, with and without glitch, come with the same generic Decathlon label, so fading may be involved in the purple ones you've mentioned. Also, when I purchased my Decathlon (Back in the day) I also purchased Enduro, Space Shuttle, and River Raid. All three of these came with the blue label, and cheap b&w instructions manuals (Space Shutttle came with the right instructions but no overlay.) This sort-of backs up my theory that it was one of the later released carts. Of course I have no proof as to when I bought it, so that's about it. As far as dumping the rom, if I could do it, I would. As I stated earlier, I'll be at PhillyClassic, and I would be glad to let someone dump it that weekend.

As a side note, I actually like playing my glitch free version more. There isn't the temptation to clear 7.2m in the pole vault, although my brothers could use the extra points. ;)

I think he means these blue labels:

Decathlon isn't listed, but I bet it exists.  But the blue labels came out later, so I'd think those would be the ones with the bug fixed.  Unless when they started that production run they used the wrong ROM image.

There are also white ones:

-paul

No,

I'm talking about 2 different color picture labels, not the generic blue label Activision cart. One is Dark Blue (glitch), the other is a Purple (glitch fixed)and doesn't look like it's that color due to fading.

I will post a side by side picture of these. Just need to get a hold of my friend's dig. camera. (Man do I need to just get a scanner! :( )

As far as dumping the non-glitch version, I would have to send it to somebody to do it because I don't have the equipment. Please PM me if you know who I should send it to.

Take care,

Doug