IGNORED

Chess for Atari 5200

classics

I believe its parker brothers chess, I could be wrong though. I dont actually have the cart itself, I was working from a cart dump.

I was going to do Atari's Computer Chess cart but it is just awful.

BTW you can change the difficulty level on this game by pressing the 0 key.

The 5200 is really just a 16k Atari computer with the hardware registers moved around and analog controllers. So you would need to disassemble the game, reverse-engineer it so that the ram locations used will fit within the confines of the 5200's memory, change the input routines, and use the 5200's hardware equate table when it is compiled.

The process is basically dis-assemble, change to the 5200 equates, rewrite controller, keyboard and console key input routines. Then change anything that depends on XL/XE os services, shadow registers, interrupt vectors, etc. Create any missing services or change the code to work without them.

If your unreleased game can run on a XL/XE in 16k mode I could convert it, possibly. No way to tell until I see it really.

Some games are easy some are a PITA, depends on how they were written.

I just did K-Star Patrol and it took about 4-5 hours, Chess and Crystal Castles probably took about the same amount of time. Pastfinder took a lot longer.

I would like to see Jawbreaker II on the 5200.  

I know that there have been some 8 bit games converted to play on the 5200.  I would like to see a 5200 multicart with a large number of the old 8 bit computer games on it.

There would be a lot of interest in an XL/XE port multicart. I know I'd get one.