IGNORED

Coke Wins/Pepsi Invaders details

Can anyone confirm some details about this game? Pitfall Harry mentions that this game is officially called "Pepsi Invaders". Can anyone confirm this? Is it on the label? For that matter, does anyone have a scan?

How was it packaged? I remember reading that it came in a flimsy styrofoam case with no manual. Can anyone confirm this?

How many were made? One person mentions 150 copies. Can anyone confirm this?

This info will be added to the Game Notes for our Coke Wins! entry (which may be changed to Pepsi Invaders). Pepsi Invaders certainly makes more sense to me as a title.

Well, I can tell you about the one I had. It camein a generic Atari case with no labels, but it had an actual chip inside (not an EPROM). The screen says Coke Wins at the top, but I've been told by others that it's offical name was Pepsi Invaders and only 150 were made. When I owned mine we thought it was more like 2,000 or so.

Most of these new details came from Joe of the Digital Press, I can't see him lying about it so I'd take it as the truth.

Tempest

Hmmm, hard to tell from that picture what the box is made of. Incidentally, I think that picture came from John Earney's site originally.

So, where does the number 150 come from? Why do they think the official name is Pepsi Invaders? Anyone get their's with a box/case?

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Alex,

My guess is that Joe at Digital Press has the whole story.

According to
your questions will be answered in DP #46

Ben

Interesting, thanks for the link.

You've probably been to many of them, but here is every good link I can find so far anyway:

AtariAge: Coke Wins

You know all about this one.

AtariGuide: Coke Wins

Atari HQ: Holy Grail Games

Scroll down the page until you see:

"Coke Wins! (Atari) is a parody of Space Invaders where shoot at the letters "PEPSI" instead of aliens that are found in the original. It was allegedly given out to employees of the Coca-Cola company and nobody else."

Atari 2600 Collector's Homepage: Image Archive

I think you've been here too. Scroll down until you see:

"atari31.jpg (19K)

When Coke contracted Atari to make a videogame for it's employees, Atari didn't put much effort into it. All they did is alter the graphics and gameplay of Space Invaders and put the the game into a cartridge with no label and a generic box. Pictured: the front of the box for Coke Wins!."

Review of "Coke Wins"

You'll need to scroll down to the "Coke Wins" review.

And there's also that DP #46 that was mentioned which is probably going to be the only useful thing mentioned here.

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: F of i ]

• 4 years later...
You've probably been to many of them, but here is every good link I can find so far anyway:

AtariAge: Coke Wins

You know all about this one.

AtariGuide: Coke Wins

Atari HQ: Holy Grail Games

Scroll down the page until you see:

"Coke Wins! (Atari) is a parody of Space Invaders where shoot at the letters "PEPSI" instead of aliens that are found in the original. It was allegedly given out to employees of the Coca-Cola company and nobody else."

Atari 2600 Collector's Homepage: Image Archive

I think you've been here too. Scroll down until you see:

"atari31.jpg (19K)

When Coke contracted Atari to make a videogame for it's employees, Atari didn't put much effort into it. All they did is alter the graphics and gameplay of Space Invaders and put the the game into a cartridge with no label and a generic box. Pictured: the front of the box for Coke Wins!."

Review of "Coke Wins"

You'll need to scroll down to the "Coke Wins" review.

And there's also that DP #46 that was mentioned which is probably going to be the only useful thing mentioned here.

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: F of i ]

39920[/snapback]

I have a copy of this game (which I had no idea was anything special), but I'm fairly sure that my copy doesnt have a label at all. Are any of them labeled? I'll pull out the box of games next time I visit my parents, but I am pretty sure its label-less. Also, does anyone have any idea how much this thing sells for? Thanks!

I have a copy of this game (which I had no idea was anything special), but I'm fairly sure that my copy doesnt have a label at all. Are any of them labeled? I'll pull out the box of games next time I visit my parents, but I am pretty sure its label-less. Also, does anyone have any idea how much this thing sells for? Thanks!

939580[/snapback]

No label...it sells for alot! :P ;)

939580[/snapback]

No label...it sells for alot! :P ;)

939581[/snapback]

Hmmm...I'm pretty new to the whole Atari collecting thing. What is considered alot? Ballpark figure, of course. :)

Hello! From the current World Record holder on this great game.

I like it much better than Space Invaders. I think the Coke Wins nickname comes from the quote that is displayed when you survive the 3 minute time limit and the game ends. Pepsi Invaders makes alot more sense to me; especially if it was a gift for Coke employees. Certainly blasting the invaders from their main competitor could help to raise morale. :)

Hmmm...I'm pretty new to the whole Atari collecting thing. What is considered alot? Ballpark figure, of course. :)

It's a kind of game you can play - once you're able to prove it's authentic, you can stick it up on eBay and watch as the little numbers go up and up! It's great fun, but only if you're selling. It tends to drag a little if you're buying....

Seriously, it's worth nothing unless you can prove it's genuine - get an expert to look at it (*cough* CPUWIZ). Also don't be afraid to open it up and take photos of the inside as this'll help prove it's kosher.

Was "Coke Wins!" a Mask ROM? I believe it was....

939784[/snapback]

Yep, although I have seen lab loaners with and without labels, that were Coke Wins carts. Equally rare, I would presume.

On a side note, some of the extremely rare ROM rarity 10's+, I have not seen up close (ROM view that is), are Atlantis II and Qubicolor. :(

Although, I have not seen Air Raid [blue T-Handle Pirate Cart] (from the inside), I am willing to bet big on the fact that it is an EPROM version. :P

It's a kind of game you can play - once you're able to prove it's authentic, you can stick it up on eBay and watch as the little numbers go up and up! It's great fun, but only if you're selling. It tends to drag a little if you're buying....

Seriously, it's worth nothing unless you can prove it's genuine - get an expert to look at it (*cough* CPUWIZ). Also don't be afraid to open it up and take photos of the inside as this'll help prove it's kosher.

939784[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully, its a real copy. Considering I've had it for around 15 years, I would assume that its real, but also I got it in a bag of games at a flea market, so who knows? What would I be looking for once I get it open? Are there nots of fakes out there?

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully, its a real copy. Considering I've had it for around 15 years, I would assume that its real, but also I got it in a bag of games at a flea market, so who knows? What would I be looking for once I get it open? Are there nots of fakes out there?

Not really fakes, as such.... but it's very easy to put an EPROM onto a board with the Coke Wins! binary on, and have a Coke Wins! cart. One of these went for $100 or so recently because the bidders obviously didn't know that it costs about 50 cents to make one of these. A fake would imply intent to deceive, whereas most of the copies just exist because someone wanted to play the game on real hardware.

If Coke Wins! does have a mask ROM which I think it does, then you should be looking for one chip, NOT two. If you have two - one large, one small - then you have an EPROM and it's a reproduction.

Of course, if Coke Wins! doesn't use a mask ROM then it could still be genuine. At that point you'll need to compare it with someone else's which is known good...

Not really fakes, as such.... but it's very easy to put an EPROM onto a board with the Coke Wins! binary on, and have a Coke Wins! cart. One of these went for $100 or so recently because the bidders obviously didn't know that it costs about 50 cents to make one of these. A fake would imply intent to deceive, whereas most of the copies just exist because someone wanted to play the game on real hardware.

If Coke Wins! does have a mask ROM which I think it does, then you should be looking for one chip, NOT two. If you have two - one large, one small - then you have an EPROM and it's a reproduction.

Of course, if Coke Wins! doesn't use a mask ROM then it could still be genuine. At that point you'll need to compare it with someone else's which is known good...

939799[/snapback]

Thats actually very helpful. Thank you very much. :) I am probably gonna try to take it apart as soon as I get my hands on it, hopefully its not too hard. I may experiment with a potentially less valuable game, to get my feet wet though. :P