IGNORED

Burned out my Jag!

Gunstar

:sad: I was moving some things around one of which was my Developer Jag, to access something underneath. When I plugged the Jag back in, I accidentally used the wrong plug :roll: (as I also moved my PC speaker which has a plug of the same type, but the wrong current!) I fried out at least one chip that stank up the whole room hopefully it's the only one (thehole in the chip is quite visible!-I shoud say crater). I REALLY needed this Jag right now too, so I'm on the search for another dead Jag that I can hopefully salvage the parts from it that I need. :sad:

Just another fair warning to others who dare think of using a powerpack for the Jag/Jagcd that is not an original; you must know what currents and voltages and amps are...even then, accidents happen! It only takes the instant of turning the Jag on with the wrong powersupply to fry it.

It's the chip at the U38 spot in the front right corner when looking at the Jag head on. about half an inch right of the 68000 chip in front of a couple capacitors. It's pretty messed up, but I think it reads: MC34163D4..XXA or something is a parcial sub number.

Thats unfortunate, if you (or anyone else) continue to have several power units that use the same connector in the house and espically in the same room perhaps you should now consider using some form of coloured sleeving or tape on the connectors to identify them.

Hopefully that will prevent you from making the same mistake again.

A google search for MC34163 would appear to show that its probably a MC34163DW DC-DC converter although you should confirm this before replacing it, if it will be a surface mount device (not easy things to change), any other information on the package will usually be batch data.

Most DC-DC converters will have some associated components usually a capacitor, Zenner diode and an inductor so look for damage to these parts as well, they should be close by.

:sad:  I was moving some things around one of which was my Developer Jag, to access something underneath. When I plugged the Jag back in, I accidentally used the wrong plug :roll: (as I also moved my PC speaker which has a plug of the same type, but the wrong current!) I fried out at least one chip that stank up the whole room hopefully it's the only one (thehole in the chip is quite visible!-I shoud say crater). I REALLY needed this Jag right now too, so I'm on the search for another dead Jag that I can hopefully salvage the parts from it that I need. :sad:  

Just another fair warning to others who dare think of using a powerpack for the Jag/Jagcd that is not an original; you must know what currents and voltages and amps are...even then, accidents happen! It only takes the instant of turning the Jag on with the wrong powersupply to fry it.

i got 2 dead jaguars for you if you want it. :)