IGNORED

Question on the 7800 NES controller mod.

bjk7382

I am having a problem with this mod. It seems that I have a different revision NES controller than the mod uses. It says use a NES-004E, and all I have is NES-004.

On the mod it shows two resistors that arent in my nes controller (R1 and R2) I don't know where to put the two resistors from the 7800 controller that are supposed to go in place of those. I have already gotten my 7800 controller all ripped apart and ready to rewire into the nes, but I am stuck at this point in the mod, and it has been all apart for a day or so now.

Here is the mod for reference

So if anyone that has actually completed this mod wants to help out or even has a NES-004E revision controller to trade for a normal one, that would be great.

Well I attempted it without the resistors and guess what..... it didn't work. All the 4 directions work but as soon as you hit a button it is stuck on.

I emailed some people out of the country (austrailia) selling nes controllers on ebay and they told me that their controllers have the E on the end of the model number. So I am going to buy one of those and see if it has the resistors on it.

Anyone from overseas have any nes-004E controllers I will buy them from you.

Unless someone can tell me how to wire in the resistors on the US controllers.

Yes, you need the resistors.

The wiring diagram for the 7800 controller circuit is in the 7800 FAQ.

Mitch

I have already bought a nes-004E off of ebay from the UK.

I am no good at reading traces and schematics. But that controller FAQ needs to be updated to the US nes controller circuit. It is currently written for overseas nes controllers, so that doesn't make it too handy for the majority of people using it.

I will update this when my nes controller gets here from the UK. (I am almost 100% sure it will have the two resistors like the mod) Too bad I had to pay 7.46US (with shipping an everything) for it :roll:

Hi Brad, Mitch and everyone else! Try this with the US controllers (NES-004):- Using 620Ohm resistors, jumper U to V and U to W. (Therefore requires two resistors. Hole labels per my original text FAQ).

Sorry for the confusion here! Can you let us know if it works properly, it should. Cheers ........ gp :)

Umm, please note that I have had to correct the resistor value I quoted above (was 6.8KOhm). My apology. I have been using the 6.8K resistors as pull-ups alot. ;o)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have my first 7800 NES controller working!! :D

I used the two resistors out of the 7800 joystick and they worked fine. The mod calls for the two resistors out of the joypad and I believe they are interchangeable. (since joypads are less common in the states, than australia)

Works great. Just follow the original mod and then put the two resistors out of the stick that you rob the wire from and put them on holes U, V, and W, as stated in the last post by gpercy.

Thank you so much for helping me with this mod and it is awesome!! I can also use this new 7800 controller with my Redemption 5200 adapter made for 7800 controllers. I am now using these controllers on my 2600, 800, 5200, and 7800. :)

post-3803-1080347298_thumb.jpg

You can also buy the resistors at your local electronics store for less than a buck. That way you don't need to tear up any sticks. For the cable pick up an extension cable and cut one end off.

Mitch

I went to Radio Sack today and they didn't have anything I wanted, and the nearest "big" electronics store is a ways away, I will probly go there or online and get a bunch of them, I had already cut the cord up on this joystick so it wasn't too bad using the resistors also.

• 1 month later...

Hi again guys! I have updated my nes-7800.txt faq and uploaded a copy to my home page. This can be viewed by following the link to "video game downloads" from my home page at http://www.geocities.com/gjp57/index.html. (Look for the link to the text file at the bottom of the diagram of the mod').

I have also emailed a copy to the AtariAge editor, so hopefully the 2600 archive copy can be updated too. Cheers.... :o)