IGNORED

MyDos and Ramboot

kojacksback

I have a 130xe with 320k ram and i'm connected to a hard drive using MyIde with the hard OS and i use it as drive 1. I would like to have a ramdisk automaticaly when i turn the system on. I've tried renaming the ramboot3 prog to autorun.sys but to no avail. is there someone that could help me out on this?

Well,

if you use MyDOS 4.50 or 4.51 then the Ramdisk driver must be named Autorun.Sys. With version 4.53 or newer one can use any filename and the extender .AR0 for the first Autorun, .AR1 for the second, etc. up to .AR9 for the 10th autorun file. By the way, the original Ramboot3 program is very buggy, there are several patches available as well as a completely new Ramdisk driver for MyDOS by Lee Barnes (MyRAMD1.COM and MyRAMD2.COM). Want to know more about the Ramboot bugs ?!? Ok, the Ramdisk driver is *relatively* slow, a faster version has been done by the author of XL2 (John Picken?). Next, in some cases the ramdisk driver (or MyDOS) may format your disk in drive 1, rather than formatting drive 8 / the ramdisk. Since this could not be corrected with only a new ramdisk driver, Lee Barnes made an update of MyDOS (version 4.54 and 4.55) as well as a complete new ramdisk driver.

Hmmm, I do not know where these programs are available today. Lee was so kind and sent them to me via e-mail. For some time the programs were also available at Mathy van Nisselroy`s homepage (but I am not sure if they still are)... So, if you are interested in the update of MyDOs and the new Ramdisk driver, simply e-mail me: amp#abbuc*de (where # = @ and * = .) greetings, Andreas.

P.S.: For a little bug test, do the following: Take a new/unused disk (or disk image), format it with MyDOS, write MyDOS on disk (configured for no Ramdisk!), copy the Ramdisk driver as an Autorun file or *.ARx on this disk or image. Now boot the new created disk or image and watch MyDOS formatting this disk automatically... Nice Bug, isn`t it ?!? Do the same with DOS 2.5 - and it will not format your disk...