IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

I received this a few days ago from a friend in the mail. Does anyone have any idea what company/person may have created it? It was in a normal but unlabled 5200 housing that was a little broken. I will try to get it ripped into a file soon when I get my Eprom progammer hooked up.

post-4263-1080800078_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I received this a few days ago from a friend in the mail.  Does anyone have any idea what company/person may have created it?  It was in a normal but unlabled 5200 housing that was a little broken.   I will try to get it ripped into a file soon when I get my Eprom progammer hooked up.

Well, Dump it and we'll see what it really is. :D Not that I think you converted one of the 8-bit burgertime clones or nothing. :D

Allan

yeah but then again someone may decide to reveal one on the day  

make people THINK it's fake and then go and surprise everybody!  

Ok couple problems with this "prototype"

1. M-Network (Mattel) owned the rights to it. They never hinted at or made ANY 8-bit games

2. If Mattel was going to make BT for the 8-bits it most likely would have been for the 400/800 not the 5200.

3. If it was a real 5200 prototype it would consist of at least two EPROMS (LO and HI). Some had more (Atari used up to 4: LO, Mid-LO, Mid-HI, HI).

4. EPROM label text doesn't follow Mattel's naming conventions

5. Even if you're willing to overlook 1-4, it's April Fools day!

Tempest

yeah but then again someone may decide to reveal one on the day

make people THINK it's fake and then go and surprise everybody! :)  

Let's hope! 8)

That's what Tempest should have done with Blaster! That would have been funny.

Allan

Hmm im sure that some one else had the rights to it before mattel

Nope. Mattel signed an exclusive deal with Data East for their games. Mattel couldn't get the large companies, so they had to settle for DE. They just got lucky with Burgertime.

Tempest

Shaddap.

It works BTW.  And I can't find any mention of April Fool's in the memory. :)

It works mostly. The players sre screwed up. The hotdogs are black and part of the chef moves back and forth on the top. This is in Atari800 emulator for Macintosh. I'll have to try it later with the Maxicart.

Allan

Well it works, but I don't think this is the official version. I think what this is is a clone that was made for the Atari 8-bit computers and was ported to the 5200 by Ken. The game just looks too "homebrew" to be an official product.

Also not there is no Mattel copyright on the titlescreen.

Interesting nonetheless.

Tempest

Thats what i was trying to tell ya! before the game was released they were testing it on several different platforms

this is unfinished and is a fore runner of the licenced game!

i knew it rung a bell as for the glitchy graphics that could be cuz the second EPROM is missing! :)

Well it works, but I don't think this is the official version.  I think what this is is a clone that was made for the Atari 8-bit computers and was ported to the 5200 by Ken.  The game just looks too "homebrew" to be an official product.  

Also not there is no Mattel copyright on the titlescreen.

Interesting nonetheless.  

Tempest

NO WAY! Say it ain't so! He he he! Kenfused would never do that! Not on April 1st! :D

Allan