IGNORED

Need to make NES controller adapter to 2600 / SMS / Genesis

4ever2600

Were there ever any of these made commercially? Would anyone know the pinouts to make an adapter the take a regualar NES controller and make an adapter to have an end that would work on an Atari 2600 / or Sega Master System or Genesis? I have a NES cable extender that I can lop the end off of so I have the end I need to make 1 end of the cable, and I can lop the end off of an Atari controller / Sega controller to have the other end... I just don't know what the pinout would be like... HELP!

Or if anyone wants to sell theirs, lemme know... I need to make 2! - Thanks

Thanks for the info, gonna try this really soon.. I'm not going to open the controller, all I'm going to do is follow the schematics that you pointed me to, match some stuff up and make my own adapter out of the ends of an nes extender cable and the end of a sega sms controller... Wish me luck!

• 3 months later...

I often find NES controllers for sale at thrift stores. I recently purchased two and opened the insides with the fantasy of building a custom 7800 joypad keeping the NES case and the buttons for use in the new controller. After opening the actual 7800 joypad I purchased on ebay as well as half of my other 7800 "pro" sticks, I thought "wow I could learn do this! "

On the stella mailing list not too long ago, someone talked about how Combat was originally coded to support user feedback in the 2600 joystick. Eventhough no "rumble pack" ever made into the design of those sticks, the code was left in the game. I thought it would be cool to replace the start and pause buttons of the NES with LED's that alternatingly (is that a word?) blink when this code gets activated. So in my mind I pictured a converted NES to 7800 joypad with feedback LED's. That would be a cool thing as a homebrewer to develop for.

But alas, I am not an electronics guy. Don't have the time to teach myself the necessary skills (among other things). The closest I've come so far to building my own joypad is building a controller out of a project box, used N64 parts, copper wire, and tinfoil. It actually worked, but not really a production model.

Anyway, isn't that the story of all of us wanna-be's. However, I just wanted to put my two cents in on this thread and state that I would buy an NES to 7800 conversion kit if someone were to develop one.

I will now crawl back into my I-don't-know-how-to-do-it-myself hole.

Aaron

• 1 month later...

Here is the page where I was having problems getting the nes rewired for use on the 7800.

Unfortunately the new, and updated mod is not online anymore at GPercy's website. :( You can probly figure out how to do it from reading the old mod, and the thread together. (you have to put two resistors in a different place)