IGNORED

dreamcast games? recommendations...

I just got a dreamcast a little while back and have been playing phantasy star online...

i have few other games, mortal kombat gold and I bought shenmue.

Just wanting some recommendations of good games...

I heard blue stinger was good, what do you all think?

I look foward to you responses..

Brad

Another recommendation though not a game..

Get only official sega memory cards and controllers. Some third party controllers burn out the controller ports (and then the ports don't work anymore)...and some memory cards just cause trouble. For example, when I got a third party mem card, Sonic Adventure would not save to it. And it would erase every once in awhile.

Get only official sega memory cards and controllers. Some third party controllers burn out the controller ports (and then the ports don't work anymore)

What can I do if this has happened to me? I bought a used DC at a thrift store, and the controller ports don't work. I can't even change it's language settings (it's stuck in Spanish, which isn't a suprise considering the neighborhood I bought it in).

I just looked through my Dreamcast collection for my favorites. Here are the highlights, in no particular order:

Gauntlel Legends

Demolition Racer: No Exit - I love this one, it's highly recommended!

San Francisco Rush: 2049

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Speed Devils (or Speed Devils Online)

Hydro Thunder

Unreal Tournament - Once you're able to grasp it's controls, it's pure gold.

South Park Rally - I'm sure that I am the only one who appreciates this game.

Star Wars: Demolition - Yet another game that takes time, but is loads of fun once you figure out the gameplay.

Phantasy Star Online (you said you've already got one, but I had to list it anyway, just 'cause it's so good!)

Blue Stinger is a rather cheesy Resident Evil knock-off. Unless you've found a really good price for it, I wouldn't bother.

As for good games, man, there are soooo many! Here's some of the ones I would recommend: Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Virtua Tennis, Bomberman Online, Capcom vs. SNK, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket, Vanishing Point, Looney Tunes Space Race, Wild Metal, Red Dog: Superior Firepower, Rayman 2, Tony Hawk 2, Super Magnetic Neo, MDK 2, Jet Grind Radio, NHL 2K2, Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade 2, Starlancer, San Francisco Rush 2049, Grandia 2, Ikaruga, Rez, Pro Pinball Trilogy, Power Stone 2, and Typing of the Dead.

You might also want to check out some of the emulators and homebrew games over at DCEmulation.

See if you can find ISO's of Half-Life and Propellor Arena as well. They're both very good, but weren't actually released, so pirating them is pretty much the only way you'll get to enjoy them on your Dreamcast.

--Zero

There was a previous post of the 20 best dreamcast games which I include here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...9568&highlight=

The games mentioned are considered the cream of the crop. In the end, you have to ask yourself which genres of games you like. I will name five must haves regardless of genre:

Soul Calibur

Tony Hawk 2

NFL2K1 (or 2K2)

Resident Evil: Code Name Veronica

Rayman 2

You can't go wrong with Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Marvel v. Capcom2.

Sleeper games are Mars Matrix though you will scream bloody murder because it is hard and Starlancer. I really got into the Wing Commander type action.

again, thanks all for the help, you all rock...

i was also looking at the agetec joystick....

how are they, i know they are expensive, but Id love to have a nicer controller...

the ones that come with hurt my hands after a while..

I just had some steroid injections for my carpal tunnel and dont want to agitate it anymore... ;)

Brad

Basically any game under 10 dollars is worth purchasing, no matter if its Jermey McGrath Supercross, Chef's Love Shack or some other monstrosity.

I'll post the best Dreamcast games list in the last issue of ODCM tommorw if i feel like walking upstairs and grabbing the issue.

The Dreamcast games I'm most likely to still play:

Crazy Taxi (1 and 2, equally good)

Dead or Alive 2

Dynamite Cop

House of the Dead 2

Hydro Thunder

Jet Grind Radio

Looney Tunes Space Race

Mr. Driller

NFL 2K1/2K2

PenPen Tricelon

Sega Bass Fishing

Sega Marine Fishing

Soul Calibur

Speed Devils

Tennis 2K2/Virtua Tennis (equally good)

Wetrix+

Other games I really enjoyed, but don't often go back to, usually because I finished them and although I know I'd enjoy playing again, I just don't get around to it:

Seaman

Shenmue

Shenmue II (worth every penny for the Euro version, and a must if you play the first, so don't start if you won't continue!)

Soldier of Fortune (game is just good enough to make it worth the incredibly long load times. I know it's a PC game, but I've only played it on DC, and loved it.)

P.S. You might want to check out Toys R Us stores in your area for new DC games. While other retailers slashed prices a long time ago to get rid of their DC inventory, TRU didn't, so as a result their stores may still have them. I've seen DC games at every TRU store I've visited in my area.

The number of games available, and the variety of titles, can vary greatly from store to store. Also, if you see them out, you may notice rather high prices for DC games at this point. I've found if you ask, you can often get them for $4.99-$9.99 - they'll give you an immediate discount off whatever the shelf price is.

It pays to ask - especially if you're at a store that has more sitting in boxes in the back room, like I found at one store.

I'm fond of really weird games, so I'd have to chime in with Seaman. It's pretty easy to find for around $10. I find tha the people who don't like it are the ones who don't play it correctly, and advance the clock to rush through the game. You miss out on the mystery and bewilderment of the crazy game that way.

I also really like Samba De Amigo, but the maracas controllers were always pretty hard to find. Ebay's full of them though. THey'll be on the expensive side, but I find them totally worth it as they create an instant party wherever you go - even among non gamers.

Let's also not forget the new homebrew that came out last year Feet Of Fury, a Dance Dance revolution type game. It's a great game - especialyl for a homebrew and you can find it at www.goatstore.com.

I'm glad someone mentioned Rez, as that game is really unique on any platform. Even though I'm not a big sports guy, I really like Virtua Tennis as well for its startling realism.

Welcome to the world of Dreamcast! There are a lot of great games out there. :)

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2! ;)

Capcom Vs. SNK

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

Power Stone 1 & 2

Quake III Arena

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 1 & 2

Virtua Tennis

Virtua Tennis 2 (Sega Tennis 2k2 in the states FYI ;))

Sega Bass Fishing

The House Of The Dead 2

Street Fighter III Third Strike

Snow Surfers

MSR

Sega Rally 2

And some games to avoid

Plasma Sword: The Nightmare of Bilstein (Star Gladiator 2)

Psychic Force 2012

Jimmy Whites 2: Cueball

Grandia 2

And maybe Unreal Tournament as the PC version is miles better! :)

Unreal Tournament - Once you're able to grasp it's controls, it's pure gold.

Ugh...I thought it had a super choppy framerate, at least in multiplayer....

QUAKE III -- the best frantic FPS deathmatch I've played on a console

Worms World Party

PowerStone 1 + 2: 2 is 4 player smash em up, great

Marvel vs Capcom - the only pureish 2D fighter I like

Loony Tunes Space Race -- often overlooked but THE most stylish game I've played, one level is a 90s game capturing the 50s look of a 24 1/2th century version of the 1800s wild west...totally looks like the cartoons come to life

finally....

BANGAI-O!!!

Great old 2D school action, fills the screen with so many bad guys...like I said in my FAQ: "The level exploration and enemy generators

of Gauntlet combined with the action of Smash TV, all in a veneer of

Metroid with a touch of the control of Joust..."

Harder to find, alas.