IGNORED

Octopussy controversy

Classic Pac

It may not of been one, but it has been one too me.

This all began some years ago when I was going through my old magazines and I found this ad for Octopussy by Parker Bros. for the 2600

It seemed no matter who I contacted they told me in effect. That no such game was ever released. Then why did the ad which is posted below appear on the back cover of Starlog magazine in there Sept 1983 issue?

Also if it isn't Octopussy them which game is it?

post-4096-1085412048_thumb.jpg

Usually you have to reserve ad space in a magazine some months in advance. Maybe the game got canned at the last moment and they couldn't change/cancel the ad anymore. I also have a Parker catalogue in which the game is featured. See this thread http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...talog+catalogue for a picture

Leonard Herman for one says that Octopussy was definitely shown at a CES. The ads were in ALL the comics and magazines at the time. Even the gaming mags seemed mystified as to why the game vanished.

Vaporware was just as common back then, but it is really strange to see a game advertized as heavily as Octopussy was to be pulled from release. Parket had to have spent a small fortune promting the game, retailers had been witing for it. What the hell was so wrong with this game that it couldn't be released? I wonder if retailers had a problem with the name "Octopussy," which caused a minor controversy when the film was released. But then why scrap the whole game?

File this one with Turbo. Everyone is pretty sure it existed but no one has any proof.

Well, it was 1983, the year that started the crash, so there's every possibility that it was simply another of the many victims of the era. It's possible that this and the 007 that got released were being developed in tandem, and that Octopussy wasn't coming along as smoothly as the released game, so they went and released the one we're familiar with and, once the crash hit, shelved the other.

I remember seeing that ad back in the day (although I probably didn't know the quotes were all fake), and was disappointed it never came out (even thought the movie was terrible). I thought the 007 "Moon Patrol rip-off" they ended up releasing wasn't very good. (In fact, I returned mine, and bought Gyruss instead).

I was at the eletronic fun expo in new york as a kid around 83, and I seem to remember seeing octopussy myself. They had donald ducks speedboat there and tons of other stuff. I still have a poster from the event, where they made the new york skyline out of joysticks.

Usually you have to reserve ad space in a magazine some months in advance. Maybe the game got canned at the last moment and they couldn't change/cancel the ad anymore. I also have a Parker catalogue in which the game is featured. See this thread http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...talog+catalogue for a picture

I like the Revenge of the Jedi one. Looks like a first person speeder chase on endor. The Tandy coco computer had a very similar game (can't remember the name where you speed through the forest on your speeder bike blasting stormtroopers and rescuing ewoks (which I usually shot :D )

So some of you actually saw this game at a gaming expo, Parker brothers heavly promoted this game, and it is no where to be seen. That seems a bit odd to me. Obviously they dumped it for some reason but why? and when did they do this? Some body out there must have a proto of this game. I know this seems like a rant but i would love to know any info about it, I owuld even pay good money for the proto of this game. Along with being an atari collecter I am even a bigger James Bond collector.

RD

Could it simply have been a ruckus due to the title? I mean, this WAS 1983, video games were very much a "kids' toy," and perhaps the idea of marketing a game called "Octopussy" to kids went over like a lead balloon. A name change may have been in order but never carried out when the market collapse.

They could have just dropped the Octopussy subtitle. The rumor is that the game was judged to be too weak for release after all and yanked from the market. This may be why Lord of the Rings was pulled as well. Parker pulled the well-advertized Ewok Adventure because the marketers didn't like the gameplay.

The shock isn't that the game was cancelled, but that no sign of it has ever surfaced since.

(actually it's sitting on my shelf bewween my Turbo and Airwrold protos. Shhhh . . .)

I have an EProm/Rom of a game labeled Octopussy. My Rom reader no longer functions so I can't check what is actually on the chip now. The last time I played it was probably 1985 or so. I don't remember it looking like those pics but I can't really say. I lent the chip to Alex from AtariAge a while back but he couldn't find a reader for it either.

I lent the chip to Alex from AtariAge a while back but he couldn't find a reader for it either.

I have an eprom reader and a rom reader. I could take a look at it, but I'm sure CPU could dump the chip so you could have a rom image to use on an emulator.

I lent the chip to Alex from AtariAge a while back but he couldn't find a reader for it either.

I have an eprom reader and a rom reader. I could take a look at it, but I'm sure CPU could dump the chip so you could have a rom image to use on an emulator.

I probably could, depends on what kind of chip it is. :)

If it's a ROM, I could probably dump it with my modded 7800, given I can figure out what company made it.