IGNORED

Wolfenstein

neotokeo2001

Just an update on Wolfenstein. If you went to the Midwest Gaming Classic then you had a chance to play the latest version. It was set-up at the Packrat

table.

Midwest Gamic Classic pics by YoshiM of Digital Press:

vcswolfenstein50.jpg

Wolfenstein VCS and the Packrat Gang.

MWGC1250.JPG

Screen Shots:

Title Screen

title.gif

Floor 1&2 Maps:

Floor1.gif

Floor2.gif

The Gun Room:

GunRoom.gif

If you look at the top left hand corner of the above screenshot you will see the Knife Icon. You start the game with the Knife which only allows short distance attacks. Once you pick up the gun you will be able to use it. The below screenshot shows the Gun Icon at the top left. The bar next to the gun is your ammo supply. It will run out as you shoot. When the ammo is gone you go back to the Knife. You can find more Ammo in a room on Floor 2.

GunRoomComplete.gif

The Masher Room:

MasherRoom.gif

There are a lot of changes that I did'nt mention. Robert M has done an amazing job with the re-coding. More details will be posted in the near future.

[/img]

Hi,

I was at the MWC and it was fun to watch people try out the hack. There was a lot of great feedback from the people playing it. I plan to have the coding changes done within 3 weeks, then it goes to neo for any remaining graphics changes.

Here is some of the feedback from MWC:

- Make the ammo bar easier to see.

- Make the player able to pass through corpses. Currently, they kill the player. It was generally agreed to be an annoying feature of the original game, so I plan to remove it.

- Add some way to earn extra lives either through points or completing levels.

- The score color is kind of dark and needs to be lighter. It looks fine on an emulator, but its hard to see on a TV. You can see that in the images above when you compare the MWC shots to the emulator shots.

- Recommendation: Enemies move randomly until the player picks up the item or shoots his gun, then they aggressively attack the player.

Here are some things left to add from before the show:

- One of the items on the second level is a key, so it will be neeed to unlock something. Namely rooms.

- End of game bonuses for extra lives.

- Tweak the difficulty levels.

- Possible level map changes.

- Random item scrambling in rooms to make it harder to find the gun, bullets and keys.

- Fix the bug where big room badies can partially wrap from right to left on the screen.

- Change the sound effects for player attacks to sound more like a knife and gun.

Cheers!

Very cool! Looks like Globetrotter was taking a break after trying out the game. :)

@Robert M:

- Random item scrambling in rooms to make it harder to find the gun, bullets and keys.

I'm confused. So are you saying that you have to pick up the gun before you can shoot any of the enemies? This would be a cool dificulty feature, if it isn't too hard to include. I can't remember if the original Wolfenstein games did this or not.

Whether or not that can be added, this is turning into a really exciting hack! 8)

Very cool! Looks like Globetrotter was taking a break after trying out the game.  :)  

@Robert M:

I'm confused. So are you saying that you have to pick up the gun before you can shoot any of the enemies? This would be a cool dificulty feature, if it isn't too hard to include. I can't remember if the original Wolfenstein games did this or not.

Whether or not that can be added, this is turning into a really exciting hack! 8)

You start the game with only a knife, which has a very short range of about 8 pixels. On the first level you can find a gun which gives you more range for a limited number of shots (i.e. bullets) You can find more bullets and guns on later levels to get more long range shots. Whenever you run out of ammo, your weapon automatically reverts to the knife until you find more ammo.

I would like to add some random item placement so that the items are not always in the same locations. I feel it would make the game more interesting and less repetative. As of right now, I have about 60 bytes of free ROM and 2 bytes of free RAM to play with, so we will see.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

I finnaly got some serious free time to devote to completing this hack. I am attaching a current rom. The big changes you will notice are:

- You must press the button each time you wish to fire. Holding down the button no longer gives you a machine gun ;)

- The monsters/items are scrambled between rooms for levels 3 through 8.

- you start levels in the middle of the screen, not at the bottom.

Changes remaining:

- Bonus lives

- Bonus points for completing the game, there are 8 levels. Yes, It can be beaten because I have done it. ;)

- Tweaking colors

- Tweaking maps

- Tweaking difficulty

- Back to Scott for final tweaking prior to release.

I plan to finish before the end of October, 2004. If you see any bugs, let me know. I zipped the file with gnuzip, but you should be able to unzip it with Winzip if you are a Windows user.

Cheers!

wolf.bin.zip

slightly modified title font? (new w o l f and i)

wolfenstein_title2.gif

The problem is I am limited to 32 pixels in width, and your proposed title is 34 pixels wide. Sorry. If you want to tinker with 32 pixels I welcome your ideas. I really can't go the full 40 pixels because I am using the game's main display kernel which only updates the middle 32 playfield pixels.

Cheers!

Is it better?

wolfenstein_title3.gif

That is a possibility. The new problem now is that by changing to 2 lines of text the title needs at least 32 bytes of space in ROM. I only have 10 bytes free right now, but I am working to get more. I will ask neotokeo if he wants your title design in the game when he gets a new computer and I know I have the ROM to hold it.

Thanks for the ideas,

Rob

Just an update. I was getting treed of the old maps because it looked to much like venture. So I am on a rampage to rebuild the maps and almost all the rooms. In the end there will be 29 different rooms. The big rooms will now look more like the interior of a castle or at least a dungeon under one. I plan to make the monsters in the new level maps patrol the hallways in predictable patterns.

The title screen and level 2 are damaged visually, but they still work until I get around to fixing them. I am attaching a screen shot of the new first level and the binary zipped with gnuzip. Windows users can open the file in Winzip.

Cheers!

wolfnew1.bin.gz

post-2784-1098341272_thumb.jpg

Is this game going to be released on a cartridge or will just the rom be released?

There is a plan to release it on cartridge. I am not sure of all the details. Board member neotokeo2001 is handling that part of the hack (Among other things). I believe he is planning a limited release in a special box, kinda like was done for Venture II. Then unlimited non-special edition copies through Packrat VG. That is my understanding.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
is this a final?

No, sorry not yet. Rebuilding the maps freed up about 20 bytes of space, and I plan to use it. I should have the final code changes within a week. Then, it goes back to neo to tweak before it is officially final.

Planned changes remaining:

- Picking up the medical bag will give you a bonus life instead of the current "complete 2 levels" and earn a bonus.

- All the new zoomed rooms can be displayed as either asymetrical or symetrical which I plan to make a randomized feature. That means there will be 15 different zoomed rooms. The moving wall room can not be made assymetrical.

- The guards in the big rooms will patrol the hallways and not bounce off the walls so much.

Cheers!

Here is another update. The guards in the big rooms now patrol the hallways in more predictable patterns. There is one guard who gets stuck and I am working on fixing that problem soon. Picking up the medical bag gives you an extra life. Plus, after the 2nd level, the walls in some of the rooms are rearranged in a semi-random manner.

Cheers!

wolf3.bin.gz

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I am nearly done. I will finish my work on this Hack this weekend. Here is an update that can be unzipped in Winzip or gzip.

Here are the changes from the last update:

- No monsters getting stuck. If you see a monster get stuck, please let me know.

- A new and improved title screen.

- Each level has a different wall color.

- Wall tweaks in the moving walls room and the K-9 room.

Left to do:

- Fix the end screen.

- Play with the audio (maybe, we'll see..._

Please try it out and let me know if you see and glitches besides the end screen for beating the game which I know is messed up.

Cheers!

wolf3.bin.gz

post-2784-1100941270_thumb.jpg

Oh forgot to mention one important change in the last image I posted. In the big rooms you can use the doorways to completed rooms to hide from the patroling guards. I know on some of them it doesn't look like it, but if you are pressed up agains the door the guard will not catch you.

Cheers!