IGNORED

Seen my 'ol Donkey Kong & Major Havoc 2600 mockups?

Godzilla

The DK mockups are great, but... Mario is such an active property l don't think that Nintendo would allow a remake of DK for 2600. :sad: It would be a bitch to put in the work and then receive a cease and desist nasty gram in the mail.

Cheers!

Just called it DK Arcade or something. Something tells me "Honkey Ding" has some rather unsavoury connotations to it. :-)

The mockups look great, tho... it'd be awesome if that could be cobbled together into a real game.

Major Havoc would rock, too. :-)

Just call it Honkey Ding or something. Doesn't have to be called Donkey Kong..  just make the game the same pretty much :P

Or do what Nukey does and call your hack Hangly Man.

"Hangly Man" was a real, albeit pirate, arcade game back in the 80s.

Just call it Honkey Ding or something. Doesn't have to be called Donkey Kong..  just make the game the same pretty much :P

Or do what Nukey does and call your hack Hangly Man.

"Hangly Man" was a real, albeit pirate, arcade game back in the 80s.

Sorry man. I didn't even know that.

:D

Oh MAN!  Those Major Havoc mock-ups are making me drool! :D One could only think of how much memory it'd take up...

Very cool.  Food for thought!

Yea, I know it'd be tricky but I have to believe that one could possibly hack those 3 roms together into a 2600 major havock... (thrust, mountain king, & solaris,) Especially since Mountain King uses cbs'es 'Ram Plus" tech, and solaris I'm sure is pretty complicated... Even though you'd only need the outer space part of solaris....

A reminder, folks. The reason Godzilla's mockups look so k-rad aws0me d00d is because he basically ignored the technical limitations of the 2600's display hardware. Such displays would be impossible to recreate in any sort of playable form on a real 2600. An actual best-case 2600 Donkey Kong remake would probably look more like this (and even this is pushing it):

2600dkfakebig.png

• 1 year later...
I was wondering where you were :-) You're just mad that you aren't a good enough 2600 coder to make something close to my mockups, like lost monkey or adavie did  :P

623743[/snapback]

Why are you bumping this thread? Do you have any idea how the 2600 works?

1007728[/snapback]

If we can't see how to program Godzilla's mockups, we should just give up programming now. Godzilla is a visionary - Who would have ever thought of taking arcade screenshots and changing a few pixels?

We've got this all wrong. Until now, I thought the rules were "anything not prohibited is possible" but every day we learn more about the 2600, right? So what was prohibited yesterday is possible today? So this means that "anything is possible!"

Why didn't I see this before? Godzilla is more than a visionary, I'm forgetting his namesake... Godzilla is... dare I say... a God? Or shall I call him Jesuszilla, or Vishnuzilla, or Ultimate-Reality-zilla depending on what deity-zilla I follow next week?

Godzilla is... dare I say... a God?  Or shall I call him Jesuszilla, or Vishnuzilla, or Ultimate-Reality-zilla depending on what deity-zilla I follow next week?

1007754[/snapback]

I have only speculation about how the name "Godzilla" originally came about, but I think it has very little to do with the Christian God or any other worshipped deity. The original Japanese name of the monster is "Gojira", which was derived from gorira (gorilla) + kujira (whale). The English-language version "Godzilla" is apparently just a similar-sounding but more easily pronounceable by Americans, less Japanese-sounding derivation of Gojira. Perhaps there was some intention by the translators of the name meaning something godlike, as in Godzilla is the "god" of all monsters (or perhaps the "god of destruction", according to one webpage.)

Going with the "god of destruction" angle, perhaps our Godzilla intends to destroy us by sowing the seeds of dissension with his troll-posts. As a means of defense, I am now ignoring him. :twisted:

Edited by A.J. Franzman