IGNORED

what ever happened to Hozer?

ANTHONY ATARI

His name is Randy Crihfield and he is still in business, just not on the web. If you search for his name on these forums you will find his PO box address. All you have to do is snail mail him and he will send you a catalog on cd.

Your better off just ordering stuff from the AtariAge store or Packrat videogames. :)

Yes Randy is still in business and is selling several copyrighted games and homebrews against the authors wishes. I don't know why someone doesn't just shut his ass down for good. He's nothing more than a sleazy oppertunist in my book.

Tempest

Yes Randy is still in business and is selling several copyrighted games and homebrews against the authors wishes. I don't know why someone doesn't just shut his ass down for good. He's nothing more than a oppertunist in my book.

I don't want to get involved in the 'controversy', but I wouldn't call Randy an 'opportunist'. After all he was the first person to publish brand new games for the 2600 (SoundX and Edtris 2600 in 1995) and started the whole recent homebrew phenomenon.

Yes Randy is still in business and is selling several copyrighted games and homebrews against the authors wishes. I don't know why someone doesn't just shut his ass down for good. He's nothing more than a oppertunist in my book.

I don't want to get involved in the 'controversy'' date=' but I wouldn't call Randy an 'opportunist'. After all he was the first person to publish brand new games for the 2600 (SoundX and Edtris 2600 in 1995) and started the whole recent homebrew phenomenon.[/quote']

This doesn't change the fact that Randy is still adding homebrew games to his catalog and selling them without the authors' permission. I have seen his most recent catalog and he has added several titles (such as Star Fire) that were released well after he took his website down, and lists them as available for purchase. I have confirmed with these authors that they have never spoken to Randy about these games and that they most certainly did not give him permission to sell them. This is not controversy, this is FACT.

I know you like to play Neutral, but please, this guy is ripping off homebrew authors and I have seen several emails from him to others where he viciously attacks AtariAge and others (such as Thomas Jentzsch), spewing many outright lies in order to make himself look better.

..Al

I don't want to get involved in the 'controversy'' date=' but I wouldn't call Randy an 'opportunist'. After all he was the first person to publish brand new games for the 2600 (SoundX and Edtris 2600 in 1995) and started the whole recent homebrew phenomenon.[/quote']

So because he was the first person to start selling homebrew games, we should ignore all his other transgressions? :roll:

The fact he won't stop selling repros with homebrewn's game and other licensed games is hurting him a lot. If he was to stop selling the games he was told to and continue with the other games he's allowed, maybe we'd start looking at him the kind way.

The fact he won't stop selling repros with homebrewn's game and other licensed games is hurting him a lot. If he was to stop selling the games he was told to and continue with the other games he's allowed, maybe we'd start looking at him the kind way.

I know my opinion of him would change dramatically. I don't know why he wants to alienate the community the way he has. There is pleanty of money to be made in selling cheap repros of hacks and rare games with dead copyrights. Why he has to sell homebrews and commercial games with active copyrights is beyond me.

Tempest

Why he has to sell homebrews and commercial games with active copyrights is beyond me.

Tempest

One word: greed.

The fact he won't stop selling repros with homebrewn's game and other licensed games is hurting him a lot. If he was to stop selling the games he was told to and continue with the other games he's allowed' date=' maybe we'd start looking at him the kind way.[/quote']

Well he has stopped selling all of the games Thomas made. He has a full text list that still includes them, and says that he won't make them. But I have been in contact with him thru email for a while and he told me he would make me an original thrust, no problem.

So he says he can't sell stuff in his catalog, but he does it anyway. :roll:

There is pleanty of money to be made in selling cheap repros of hacks and rare games with dead copyrights.

Oh he will still make you ANY game you want. He does every game in the 2600 library except for the adult titles because he is very christian. He also doesn't do any of the hard bankswitching games.

I think he believes in his mind that he isn't doing anything wrong with the homebrews, when in fact, he is.

Oh he will still make you ANY game you want. He does every game in the 2600 library except for the adult titles because he is very christian.

Wow. He must be following some messed up version of Christianity that I'm not aware of then. What he's doing certainly wouldn't be considered "Christian" in my church.

Tempest

Oh he will still make you ANY game you want. He does every game in the 2600 library except for the adult titles because he is very christian.

Wow. He must be following some messed up version of Christianity that I'm not aware of then. What he's doing certainly wouldn't be considered "Christian" in my church.

Tempest

You can find him on the list of Deacons Here

And from what his emails sound like, it doesn't sound like he thinks he is doing anything wrong.

He does still pay roalties to some authors. He has two sections in his catalog. One is "Homebrews wth Roalties" and one is "Homebrews Without Roalties"

I suppose Thrust and Jammed are in the later category. :ponder:

Nope thrust and jammed don't show up in the regular catalog. It only shows up in the full text list. And he also says on that text list that he won't make them. (but I have asked him to make a thrust and he said he would :roll: )

From the full text list in the catalog:

Column:       Means:

1               Index/Sort/Key value

2               Cart Name 

3               Manufacturer

4               (P)al, Ntsc (default) or (D)ual, both formats

5               Have Docs?

6               Size of ROM

7               Can you get it from HozerVideo on a cart?

(YX means it can be made but I won't)

8               Serial Number according to manufacturer

HB  Jammed       HV/Thomas Jentzsch     ---     4K    YX -----

HB  Thrust       HV/Thomas Jentzsch     Yes    16K    YX -----

Hi there!

I have seen his most recent catalog and he has added several titles (such as Star Fire) that were released well after he took his website down' date=' and lists them as available for purchase.[/quote']

:mad:

Do I need to say that anyone buying homebrews from there is not supporting the homebrew scene?

Homebrewing is too much a hobby for me to start any legal action regarding this, but it really makes me angry to see someone else shamelessly making money from my hard work!

If stuff like this is going on, I really have to consider wether I still can make any ROMs of future games freely available and distributable for everyone...

Greetings,

Manuel

If stuff like this is going on' date=' I really have to consider wether I still can make any ROMs of future games freely available and distributable for everyone...[/quote']

Unfortunately that won't help (Ebivision!) too.

We depend on the customer. As long as he plays fair, Hozers have no chance.

For Thomas and others,

Do you actually have legal copyrights on the games you've made, or do you just claim copyright because you wrote it?

Not trying to stir things up...just trying to understand. And here I thought I had at least one hobby that didn't have some kind of swine in it. :)

If you do own legal copyright, why not prosecute (even if it is a hobby as Cyberoth said). If a bunch of you went in together, you'd probably get a settlement and have him pay for the court and legal fees all at the same time.

Cap