IGNORED

Death Race for Colecovision

Dav

I cut the attract mode and second player out of my previous version. There's no sound yet since my sound card is not working at the moment.

It's not completely accurate to the Exidy original, I've added a hi score display and I don't remember the peds having any sort of ai but it felt like they needed it. Also the original was all B&W I colorized the car and IIRC it the playfield wrapped on all sides, not sure though.

I've tested it in mess only , haven't gotten around to trying it on the real thing.

Dave

dr.zip

This is good news!  As best as I know, Exidy's Death Race has NEVER been ported to the home consoles!

Are you going to make it work with the Driving Controller and Foot Pedal contoller?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Possibly. The problem is it's best with 2 players. Maybe I should look at the atari driving controllers. I don't know if it works w/ the CV or not.

BTW, I don't mind posting the source if someone else wants to mess with it. I'm not so good at documentation though.

This is good news!  As best as I know, Exidy's Death Race has NEVER been ported to the home consoles!

Well, there WAS that cheesy sequel on the NES, Death Race 2000. It was by some unlicensed game designer... I can't recall its name but it also released NES ports of several other old Exidy games.

JR

Hi there!

Well, there WAS that cheesy sequel on the NES, Death Race 2000.  It was by some unlicensed game designer... I can't recall its name but it also released NES ports of several other old Exidy games.

There you go, here's a very good article about those NES Exidy ports:

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thewarpzone/agci.html

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, there WAS that cheesy sequel on the NES, Death Race 2000. It was by some unlicensed game designer... I can't recall its name but it also released NES ports of several other old Exidy games.

JR

Ditto, been wanting a DeathRace game for years (ever since my mom wouldn't let me play it in the arcade actually... 20 or so years ago.)

Can't wait to get this loaded up. :D

Regarding the NES DR2k game. I've aquired the rom image from no less then a dozen different places and ALL of them seem to be bad. Crashing every emu I've tried it on. I KNOW I've seen screen shots of it, so whats the deal. Just don't work on EMU's, all are bad dumps, fake screen shot???? :x ..... I just wanna run over and kill people, is that so much to ask. :ponder: :P

..... I just wanna run over and kill people, is that so much to ask.  :ponder:  :P

I know what you mean. My personal favorite is carmageddon 3 for the PC, although 2 is good as well. I loved the way the dogs yipped when you hit them. The strange thing is people(Mrs. Dav especially) get more upset about the dog than the people.

By the way, just save the page of jibberish, and drag & drop onto your emulator. It'll work fine. It's jibberish because it's spelling out the code. If you save it as "All Files" in Mac OS X, it'll be okay.

I am still stuck in the nineties w/ my Mac G3 OS 8.6. How's that for obsolete? What you suggested does not work with OS 8.6.. I think. :?

..... I just wanna run over and kill people, is that so much to ask.  :ponder:  :P

I know what you mean. My personal favorite is carmageddon 3 for the PC, although 2 is good as well. I loved the way the dogs yipped when you hit them.

:)

Road Rage (Xbox) is good too. People get hung up on your bumper and grill & junk. Dragging people around, trying to shake them off the car by swerving all over. Watch them go tumbling off in the road or over your car. I think there is game or some plot, not that I've bothered to get that far. :)

Possibly.  The problem is it's best with 2 players.  Maybe I should look at the atari driving controllers.  I don't know if it works w/ the CV or not.

Aren't the Colecovision driving controllers equivalent to the Atari driving controllers? The footpedal controller allows for the driving controller functions to pass through .. thus only tieing up one controller port. So you could have two players using two driving controllers and two pedals!

Well, I tried it out on the Xbox version of Koleco, and it looks pretty nice. Can never seem to hit more then 7 people in a game tho. Guys start moving too erratic to hit. :P

Any who, :thumbsup:

BTW, any chance of seeing the original version (mostly I'd like to see it for the attract mode)?

I didn't realize you could use 2 driving controllers. I'll have to look into that. That would definately be worthwhile.

----

I haven't played death race since august of 1981 so I'm a little hazy on some of the details like attract mode. My memory may improve in the near future though. :) I would guess the original attract mode the cars just drove around randomly, I can't imagine them using one of the prom chips to store input data for attract mode. I have a DR out in the garage but it's completely fried and I haven't had time to work on it yet. I have a spare monitor and some extra boards but I have no reason to assume they work either.

• 1 year later...
Possibly.  The problem is it's best with 2 players.  Maybe I should look at the atari driving controllers.  I don't know if it works w/ the CV or not.

Aren't the Colecovision driving controllers equivalent to the Atari driving controllers? The footpedal controller allows for the driving controller functions to pass through .. thus only tieing up one controller port. So you could have two players using two driving controllers and two pedals!

686732[/snapback]

Wouldn't you want to use this???

ExpMod2-Colecovision-Pic1.jpg

I tried playing this on Virtual Colecovision. It doesn't appear to have any sound. This might be the emlulator.

OK, details from seeing the real thing on a VHS recording:

Also, the car is supposed to be able to wrap vertically as well as horizontally.

The gremlins are supposed to start from the edge of the screen, not the center.

Gremlins can only move up/down/left/right. They move diagonally by doing a zig-zag maneuver. That is a key part of the coinop's style. I think the reason for this is the width of the zig zag is the same width as a tombstone. This must have simplified the process of having them navigate around tomestones. So they basically are traversing a grid. This has the effect of limiting their reaction time in the sense that when they decide to move they are committed to moving that fixed distance before they can change direction. They can not necessarily react immediately to danger.

You should center the score. It looks like it's shifted to the left. Might be the emulator. There is only supposed to be a 2-digit score per player. Only one point should be awarded per kill.

When the game ends, the cars are supposed to stop and the sounds end but the gremlins will keep moving around.

• 4 years later...

I just checked CollectorVision's WWW site and they do not have this listed for sale <?>.

I think it would be great for someone to deliver this in cart form.

My only recommendation would be to change the color of the car. ColecoVision is about "bringing the arcade experience into the home" and I think a subtlety such as car color makes a big difference as far as nostalgia is concerned.

I would recommend changing the car color to white as was used in the arcade, or experimenting with grey or the shade of green used for the shields in Space Invaders Arcade (2600) (I don't recall if the overlay for the Space Invaders arcade game colored the shields green or not but I have a hunch they were)...

Also, when will sound be added?

I think this is a fantastic game and I would give my left *** to add this to my ColecoVision collection. This was one of the first arcade games I played - someone, please finish and burn to cart!!! : ]