IGNORED

Vertical Scrolling example

Wrathchild

OK, this code, for the Atari 8-bit, demonstrates one technique

of scrolling a Graphics 12 area without using HW scroll registers.

It predefines 7 fonts with the same pattern for each character.

The screen is arranged as 24 lines of 32 characters wide.

This means that 6 fonts are visible initially, 4 lines each giving

the 4*32 = 128 characters of the font. As this scrolls, the 7th

font becomes visible and then when the 1st font disappears

off the top, it re-appears from the bottom.

Hence the technique can be expanded upon by using a tile

expanding routine to place graphics in the font memory.

To demonstrate that I setup a small piece of mainly code

to animate the 1st character of fonts 1 and 2 by rotating

them down and up respectively.

There in lies a mystery. Earlier this worked OK, but in this

last incarnation the pattern is not rotating constantly.

Therefore I must be overextending an interrupt somewhere?

With the alternative method I suggested of copying the first

line of data from font to font, I'm a little worried that it would

steel too many cycles, therefore indicating that it could only

be used when using a smaller window in the vertical.

I haven't got time to try that at the moment though :wink:

Hope that helps.

Mark

scroll_test.zip

That's a great help, thanks a lot.

It's a very good example of the method I wanted to achieve.

In the routine I want to develop from this method, I must ensure that when the screen data scrolls from the bottom to the top, (i.e. when font one reaches the top rather than wrapping round it stops) the 5 fonts defined in the orginal static screen layout are still defined correctly. What I mean is, as the bytes are rotated through the font areas to give the illusion of scrolling, fonts 1-5 end up still defined as they were before running through the "scroll" routine.

I don't see any great problem with that, Even for me to do! The code for such a routine is already there wrtten for me.

Cheers for that, Really appreciate it.

Regards,

Tezz. ;)

Hi Heaven,

OK to reiterate, the routine trying to acheve here was to vertically scroll a screen layout which had several fonts making it up via DLIs so, there would already be say 5-6 fonts in memory anyway. Therefore the methods used by this routine are fine I think. Unless you have another approach to this?

It's seems strange that vertical scrolling with the inclusion of syncronised DLIs dosen't seem to be documented anywhere?

Heaven/TQAtezz... when finished with bb...you could post the source code esp. the sprite engine...
Yeah no problem. I am intending to release all of the sourcecode for my projects when they are complete.

btw. played cybernoid2...very very hard compared to nowadays games...
Yeah, but not for a long time though !. A lot of the old titles are difficult. Many of the new generation of 3D gamers assume that they are simple and easier because they don't look as flash to their new eyes but we all know better. There's more to gameplay than the inclusion of 3d rotating camera angles and endless FMV footage. There are a lot of new titles which are very well done though in gameplay as well as graphical so not to totally do the new stuff down.

The so-called "Retro" gaming is becoming more popular with the next generation though and of course many of the "classic" 2d games are played on mobile phones etc today.

There are so many nice C64 titles that a screaming to be converted. I suppose when many of us all here have provided the sources for the various routines like scrolling, music/soundFX, PM overlays, screen mapping utilities etc. etc. the process of developing these conversions will be easier than ever to get into.

OK, :sad: I'm struggling to get the code which was originally posted into XSAM format. After several frustrated attempts I thought it'd be easier to disassemble the binary but without success. I've spent most of the day with this now :(

Can anyone look at the attached listing. I've cleaned up the listing mostly and also even put some of the comments back in place but, it's not totally sorted out from the original disassembly if you are wondering what the mess in the code is. I'm stuck getting this formatted for XASM correctly.

I've attached the Dis6502 workspace file also because there is some data I don't recognise starting at label "L320E". I've simply made this into data bytes. I don't know what this is in the disassember.

HELP!!

xasm_version.zip

2 things which came into my mind browsing through the code:

isn't it dta a(adress) instead of dta a adress?`

isn't it

org $2e0

run _main

? sorry haven't assembled it on my own... or do you get any error mesage?

how do you test your code via 800win + load the obx file? or the ATR made by xboot?

if xboot then make sure that xboot will not generate the "professional loader" ("/P" parameter) as this will disable the OS and f.e. your "setvbv" will not work...

Hi Heaven,

isn't it dta a(adress) instead of dta a adress?`
I think both of these are acceptable in XASM, I've seen both used? or maybe I am wrong about that. It is the dta a on the dlist table that XASM complains about.

DLIST_TABLE dta a DLIST1, DLIST2, DLIST3, DLIST4

I did also try to bracket this but it still complained.

how do you test your code via 800win + load the obx file? or the ATR made by xboot?
I test first the generated OBX file in 800Win. I will normally only use Xboot when I've made a significantly large program.

org $2e0  

run _main

Oops, yes I did miss that.

if xboot then make sure that xboot will not generate the "professional loader" ("/P" parameter) as this will disable the OS and f.e. your "setvbv" will not work...
ah, that's certainly an error I have made if my setvbv will not work. I will make sure I use the /p

One of the difficuties I find when disassembling the object file is that there is some unrecognised code at the beginning of the routine. Is some of this generated by Xboot?

;
; Start of code
;

org $2E00

RTS

LDX #$19

L2E03    LDA VNTP,X

STA L320E,X

DEX

BPL L2E03

JSR L3132

TSX

STX L3271

LDA APPMHI

STA L3272

LDA APPMHI+1

STA L3273

LDA MEMTOP

STA APPMHI

LDX MEMTOP+1

STX APPMHI+1

JSR L316C

LDA LMARGN

STA L3274

LDA #$00

STA LMARGN

LDX SHFLOC

STX L3273

STA SHFLOC

LDA #$FF

STA CH

LDA #$00

JSR L3120

STA L3254

LDA #$00

JSR L3120

STA L3256

LDA #$00

JSR L3120

STA L3258

JSR L3155

JSR L3175

LDX L3271

TXS

LDA L3274

STA LMARGN

LDA L3273

STA SHFLOC

LDA L3272

STA APPMHI

LDA L3273

STA APPMHI+1

LDX #$19

L2E79    LDA L320E,X

STA VNTP,X

DEX

BPL L2E79

INX

STX CRSINH

RTS

LDA APPMHI

STA VNTP

LDA APPMHI+1

STA VNTP+1

RTS

RTS

Should I just strip all this out? and start my code at the "_main" label with org $2e0 run _main specified at the end, then use Xboot with /p

The original sourcecode kindly supplied by Wrathchild should really point me in the right direction to clean up the code correctly but I keep getting assember error messages?

Perhaps you could assemble it in XASM, I have probably missed something very obvious

Regards, Tezz.

tezz... you should NOT use /p parameter in xboot as this is the switch to actually generate the Pro-loader... instead of the normal one...

sorry for not being clear enough about that... ;)

the beginning could be xboot-loader but i am not 100% sure how it works because i never touched the loader...

you should NOT use /p parameter in xboot as this is the switch to actually generate the Pro-loader... instead of the normal one...  

sorry for not being clear enough about that...  

No worries, your answer was clear, it was me not reading what you have written properly :roll:

OK, I'm really baffled by this now? I've removed all the unessasary code at the beginning of the source and I've looked at the original source posted. When I compile my source the "DLIST_TABLE" label returns an error "undefined label" ???? I can't see anything wrong.

I guess it's a lot to ask for someone to help to debug this routine so would anyone be able to convert the original source into XASM instead? I can't get my head around the format used in it with all the special assember specific stuff.

Tezz would anyone be able to convert the original source into XASM
I guess my request fell on deaf ears. Can anyone tell me which assembler format Wrathchilds code is in?

I don't recognise the use of commands such as..

.code

.export "abc"

.rodata

.res 4

:?

Tezz would anyone be able to convert the original source into XASM
I guess my request fell on deaf ears. Can anyone tell me which assembler format Wrathchilds code is in?

I don't recognise the use of commands such as..

.code

.export "abc"

.rodata

.res 4

:?

It's using ca65 from http://www.cc65.org/ which is the assembler portion of the 8-bit cross compiler/assembler.

.code, and .rodata define what segment of memory the following code/data goes into, as defined by the linker config script (usually a .cfg file.)

.export "abc" defines the label "abc" for use outside that module.

.res 4, I believe reserves 4 bytes of storage space in a segment. CODE is the default segment, so there will probably be a segment directive before this somewhere.