IGNORED

Belling the Cat web log

Jacob Rose

I've just assembled the various parts of my 2600 development experience thus far into a log, which I will ensure I update if and when I make further progress toward my first homebrew game, "Belling the Cat." Herein you may witness, second-hand, the absolute ugliness and inefficiency of my 6507 assembly code, along with bitmap and pen & paper design notes (click "design" in the middle part of the screen), and (so far) one javascript and one video animation of parts of the game in progress:

http://whiteshell.com/~jrose/atari

So far, nothing remotely playable, just my fumbling beginnings at 2600 coder-ness. Site is solely for purposes of boredom; no claims of any entertainment value are made!

Thanks! I hope it's helpful to someone. I'm taking some cues from Kirk Israel's blog, like the daily source code listings and binary images. I think I need to focus on the problems I overcome rather than simply noting what changed. I'm doing this on my occasional free weekend days, so progress is pretty slow. I hope I'll have time to finish it next summer, but I expect to make some progress through the fall and spring semesters, too.

• 1 year later...

It's doesn't do much, really, but here's where I got with the minigame:

http://whiteshell.com/jacob/atari/modulon/

I haven't found my notes yet, but when I do I'll scan them. Meanwhile, the code has some text that explains how the game is supposed to work.

Hmm, I'm really tempted to start working on this again. Maybe I should...