IGNORED

Grand Theftendo NEEDS to be released on cart!!!

Just thought I would clarify that this game is not going to be for sale! It will be available for download for free when it is done. I am not making profit from this game. All of the code, graphics, etc. are done from scratch by me. The dialogue will be original as well when it's released to prevent infringement on that from GTA. I did not reverse engineer anything to create it, trace any graphics, convert any audio, it's all original. Grand Theftendo is simply a spare time, fan project for fun, and to pay tribute to Rockstar Games and Grand Theft Auto.

It looks like you may be out of luck on this one unless you find someone who will do a custom job for you. (Not to say there's no hope.)

While interesting, the NES homebrew scene isn't yet as refined as the Atari homebrew scene; Most of the NES homebrews seem to lack the polish that we've come to expect from Atari homebrewers.

It would be so awesome on cartridge! I like playing my games on the actual hardware, not just an emulator. Who else thinks so / knows what im talking about?

The Grand Theftendo screenshots look nice. Still, if the game were going to be for sale, I would want to playtest it once before I made any definite decision about a purchase.

BTW, thanks for pointing this out. It'll be fun to watch as it progresses. :-)

If I were you, I would set aside one of these games:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance

Base Wars - Cyber Stadium Series

Baseball Stars II

Crystalis

Deja Vu

Gold Medal Challenge '92

Kirby's Adventure

Magician

Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum

Shadowgate

Tecmo NBA Basketball

Tecmo Super Bowl

Uninvited

Wario's Woods

Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds

because those are the games with the correct board configuration to run Grand Theftendo properly.

I agree that the NES homebrew scene is not as mature as the Atari homebrew scene for the following reasons:

1. The NES generation hasn't really come together yet,

2. The NES's hardware is still somewhat undocumented,

3. Good development tools are still lacking,

4. NES games are much bigger and more complicated than Atari games

5. Devcarts are difficult to build, requiring Nintendo MMC and lockout chips

6. Emulators are imperfect as development platforms (none yet at the z26 level.)

The only real homebrew NES game that could conceivably compete (by comparison) with Atari homebrews is Chris Covell's Solar Wars, and even that is fairly simple by NES standards.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'd love to get it in cart form too, but chances of that happening look rather dim. Might be worth getting a flash cart & NES emulator for the GBA though, that is assuming that game turns out to be as neat as it looks like it's going to.

-S

I'd be willing to find one of the listed carts if I could get a copy of this. I don't care if Rockstar gets mad. They paid tribute to the C64 in Vice City, so why not? They've got little to lose from what I see.

But if the guy who made this game brings it to Rockstar and shows them, you never know, they may not have a problems with it being out.

But who would take apart any of those rare/good games to make a Grandtheftendo cart?

Didn't know half of these were MMC5, though. . .

Brian is using his devtendo for testing the agme along with the TKROM SRAM cartridge he made to download his code from his computer to his cart. TKROM boards use an MMC3. If he was using the MMC5 to extend the NES's capabilities, he surely would have said so. Only Koei's later strategy games use MMC5 with battery backed RAM. (Castlevania III and Laser Invasion carts do not have battery backed RAM.)

I visit a forum that makes (and remakes) games with Characters like zelda and mario in them, free for download so there is no profit, but the Admin got a letter from Nintendo telling him and his friends to stop using those characters. That was kind of lame, but I can understand them trying to protect their copyright.