IGNORED

A little project I started

DEBRO

Hi there,

Here is video of a little project I started. I don't have a name for it yet so feel free to create one.

I'm not really a hacker. I disassemble 2600 games as a way to pass the time. Some people do jig-saw puzzles or crossword puzzles. I like putting together 2048 or 4096 bytes of 2600 code :D Anyway, I was looking at this and it seemed like a pretty simple hack. I'm polishing it up as there are some minor problems.

What do you think?

berzerk_video.zip

So what should I call it?

Berzerk: DD (Diagonal Death)

:)

I like the DD...it has a nice touch ;)

I talked to Mike and I may combine this with his voice hack to make it a Berzerk: Arcade.

Finally!!! :D

You might also want to make the default game (game 1) play with Evil Otto making an appearance. Like in Berzerk Neo.

I like the DD...it has a nice touch ;)

I talked to Mike and I may combine this with his voice hack to make it a Berzerk: Arcade.

That would indeed be very cool. I know Mike was thinking about adding diagonal support and said it wasn't trivial, and didn't have time to do it before releasing Berzerk VE. Hope you're able to get it working reliably! :)

..Al

Good luck with getting the AI right! :)

As you know that was my main concern.

The algorithm that chooses which robot will shoot is not very smart. It's done randomly. I think it could be better but I figured we lived with this one for so long why change it :) I'm not really a hacker and not looking to get too involved with this.

I did have to change the box in which the robot "looks" for the player. The range was originally -8 <= x <= 8 and -6 <= y <= 6. I've changed it to be -32 <= x <= 32 and -24 <= y <= 24. I'm still experimenting with these values but these seem to work fine.

As I write this I think I might can make it better by using the changed values only for the diagonal box. Hmmm....I might be e-mailing you about this.

The algorithm that chooses which robot will shoot is not very smart. It's done randomly. I think it could be better but I figured we lived with this one for so long why change it :) I'm not really a hacker and not looking to get too involved with this.

It would be interesting to look at the original arcade algorithm to see how the robots decide when to fire. :)

..Al

That would indeed be very cool.  I know Mike was thinking about adding diagonal support and said it wasn't trivial, and didn't have time to do it before releasing Berzerk VE.  Hope you're able to get it working reliably!  :)

I just got an e-mail from Mike with the sound data and all :thumbsup:

With the resent post to [stella] I think the voice would be more suited for the new AtariVox.

The diagonal firing seems to be reliable and accurate but I'm still experimenting. This is why I sent the video vs. an actual ROM.

I just got an e-mail from Mike with the sound data and all :thumbsup:

Excellent!

With the resent post to [stella] I think the voice would be more suited for the new AtariVox.

Hmmm, given this is an Atari title, it may not be possible to produce this game in cartridge form, but I can talk to them about it. Otherwise AtariVox support would only be useful for those who have another means of playing the game on a real system (Cuttle Cart, Krokodile Cart, etc.)

Also, I wonder if the AtariVox voice can be made to sound like the robots in Berzerk? If so, it would be nice as all the speech from the game could be added (as opposed to a few select phrases), and it wouldn't cause the screen to blank out as it does now. Perhaps two different versions could be made. Berzerk DD:AV and Berzerk DD:VE. ;)

The diagonal firing seems to be reliable and accurate but I'm still experimenting. This is why I sent the video vs. an actual ROM.

Cool, can't wait to try it out. I was wondering why you sent a video, that was kind of odd. :)

..Al

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...