IGNORED

Good 3DO games?

Bruce Tomlin

I finally found my stash of 3DO controllers (six of 'em, half of which have Y connectors). But I still have no games, and I still haven't found the demo disc I have somewhere. In the spirit of the current Sega CD thread, does anyone have any games they can suggest I look for?

And how hard is it to burn games for the system? Does it require a lot of XA or multisession-fu to the point that images usually only exist for a specific Windows-only burner program? I don't expect I'll be burning anything unless it's more trouble to find a real copy than it is to burn, but it'd be good to know ahead of time if burning is more trouble than it's worth.

One thing about my FZ-10... the S-video output looks like crap. It's not only fuzzy, it looks like it's got actual ringing in the signal.

(google, google, google...) Wow, this thing runs an ARM CPU? (Twelve and a half whole megahertz, too!)

I really like the 3DO version of Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger, which unlike the computer and PSOne versions, has NO LOADING times! Amazing!

Star Control II, Wolfenstein 3D, and the original Need for Speed also hold up very nicely today in my opinion.

Be sure to check out the "Secrets of the 3DO Games," which you can get for a few pennies plus shipping from Amazon. There are two volumes, which are full of reviews and hints. Lots of fun there.

Burning games for the system is dead easy, you can find iso's or bin/cue on the 3do or emulators.misc newsgroups and burn them onto a cd-r and they will play fine on the system. And if you have an original CD all you do is a plain CD to CD copy and the copy willl work, gotta love the days when CD burners cost thousands :)

Of course, most of the good games are only like $5-10 so it's worth picking them up along the way.

Gex

Road Rash

Need for Speed

Icebreaker

Star Control II

Twisted is a cool trivia party game.

It's got a RISC processor too, if I'm not mistaken. Ramma lamma ding dong, take a RISC!

(Whoever can tell me where that quote comes from gets a cookie)

Annnnyway, the list of recommendations for the 3DO is short, but there are a few games you really ought to have if you've got the system. On the top of that list is Super Street Fighter II Turbo... if it weren't for the system's heinous controllers, it would be every bit as good as the Playstation and Saturn versions. Total Eclipse was fun for its time, although I'm not sure how well it's held up over ten years after its release. Then there's Wing Commander III (there's nothing like watching Luke Skywalker get his heart ripped out by an angry lion man!), The Horde (after you see Kirk Cameron in this, you won't feel so sorry for Dana Plato), Bust-A-Move (who could resist this classic on ANY system?), and possibly Samurai Shodown as well. I wasn't impressed with what I saw of the game on the Crystal Dynamics demo disc, but I've heard that the final release was very well done.

Finally, there's Way of the Warrior. It's not a good game by any stretch of the imagination, but it's so ridiculous that you can't help but play it anyway for a few laughs. Plus, the visuals are surprisingly crisp, even in comparison to fighting games on systems released years later.

JR

D&D Death Keep and D&D Slayer are both very good and fun (IMO). I have been wanting to get more games but I too don't know of any that are good. I read about the game Hell and looks pretty cool. Twisted is kinda fun with some friends but the actors are well, you feel bad for them. Wing Commander 3 I thought was pretty fun as well but I bet it would be better with a joystick.

I finally found my stash of 3DO controllers (six of 'em, half of which have Y connectors).  But I still have no games, and I still haven't found the demo disc I have somewhere.  In the spirit of the current Sega CD thread, does anyone have any games they can suggest I look for?

question, what does a 3do Y connector look like?

all the controllers i have either have a port on the controller for the other to plug into or it might have a hard wired connector comming out of the controller to plug another into

games that i played to death were

Captain Quazar

Crime Patrol

Daedalus Encounter

Dragon Lore

Gex

the Horde

Need for Speed

Off World Interceptor

PO'ed

Psychic Detective

Return Fire + Return Fire: Map's O' Death

Road Rash

Shockwave + Shockwave 2 + Shockwave: Operation Jumpgate

Twisted - good for parties and stuff like that there

oh and i have every US released 3DO game :)

question, what does a 3do Y connector look like?

all the controllers i have either  have a port on the controller for the other to plug into or it might have a hard wired connector comming out of the controller to plug another into

These were all NIB controllers that I bought at a Best Buy many years ago because they were closeout priced. I didn't actually open up any except the one that was already open (which did not have a pass-through), but noticed while flipping through them the words "Y connector" on (I think) a Goldstar controller box. So maybe the other two are done the "normal" way. I'll have to see what that was all about.

As to the games... lovely. Do I like FMV games? Nope. Shooters? Nope. Fighters? Nope. The D&D games sound moderately interesting, but I'll bet they're hard to find originals of.

Either way, I really don't think I want to play much on this, because of that horrible S-video quality. (You know the vertical white lines on the sides of the 3DO logo? They're doubled from the ringing.) If I don't go blind from it, I'll go insane.

i have never used the S-video option in my life :)

and i use my FZ10 to play my 3do games

i use the A/V cables, and its just as clear as the modern systems

when i click through the TV/Video options on my TV the first one is standard (regular TV) the 2nd is Video which i have everything A/V hooked into, now when i get to the 3rd one S-Video, my computer screen gets all wavy with lines running up and down, and only on S-video this happens with nothing hooked up to it

and the Y connector thing im totally clueless, i just looked at my boxed goldstar controller and i couldnt find any mention of Y connector, Daisy Chain but no Y :D

the D&D games are not hard to find at all even boxed and probably many sealed ones still out there too, i would say between $5 to $15 or so, the Slayer one is the easiest to get those are common

AHHHHHHH i just figured out the controller, its the Gamepad6 by performance, included a pic of mine, on the left side bottom 2 lines say

Y connector for expansion, whew now i can stop thinking about it :D

post-541-1102715849_thumb.jpg