IGNORED

How many carts does the 5200 have?

sega saturn x

Counting homebrews, prototypes, and conversions, there are roughly 100 games for the 5200. All but 3 are relatively easy to acquire and almost all of them are great games.

One thing to be wary of are the controllers which you will probably have to have someone fix for you when you get a 5200.

Why do thaey brake easy?  If i was thinking about getting a good deal of the games would buying one of thsoe controler converters be a good idea?  Btw how many wihtout hombrews and stuff?

The controllers are prone to breaking and will often go bad just by not using them. I've had brand new controllers in perfect condition that didn't work. You could either pick up a pair from Mrretrogamer, pick up a competition pro (my personal favorite), or go the redemption adapter route.

Here's a list of the homebrews:

Koffi: Yellow Kopter

Klax

Castle Blast

Castle Crisis

Haunted House II 3D

Combat II

Beef Drop

Bristles

There are a total of 71 released unique games for the 5200 not counting these.

The more i see this system the more i like it im trying to find a good one on ebay for under 80$ but most have broken controlers or other problems.  Please post an auction or good site to get a 5200.  Im still looking but any ones help would be greatly aprechiated. :)

If it doesn't explicitly say it has REBUILT controllers, they're bad. New controllers went bad in the box long ago.

If I recall, the problem is corrosion of the circuit traces. It apparently doesn't take much to reduce things below the console's threshold.

Also if you could tell me the difrence between the 2 port and 4 port system that would help.
4 port has a proprietary auto-switchbox. Power goes into the switchbox, and the antenna wire is all that runs to the 5200.

Makes it easier to use as manufactured, but harder to do an AV mod on, or to replace the switchbox if it dies, or to use the RCA-coax adapters everyone's so fond of(gotta add a connection for the AC adapter if you do any of the above).

That's the big diffrence.

4 port also can play Pitfall, and 2 other games I don't remember. But it CAN'T use the 2600 adapter, as a general rule(as if you can't find a 2600 already).

And, obviously, it has 4 controller ports. Which matters if you have a copy of Castle Crisis, but I think that's really about it.

I just bought my third Atari 5200 today at a thrift (Only two of my 5200s work). The controllers and the console all have the little transparent plastic layer over the metal parts. And both controllers work! I am so freakin' amazed! I've never had the opportunity to play any of my games before, because i've never owned a working 5200 controller!

I also managed to get some good games in this thrift store, too. Star Wars: Arcade, HERO, Gyruss, River Raid....... I'm so happy right now. :D And now that I have a couple working controllers, I have got to order some of those 5200 homebrews! And bring on Quest for the Golden Chalice II!

If you count all the broken, half finished and unplayable stuff, there is quite a lot. This is my current list, anything missing?

Released and Prototypes

-----------------------

A.E.

Asteroids

Astro Chase

Ballblazer

Battlezone

Beamrider

Berzerk

Blue Print

Buck Rogers

Centipede

Choplifter

Congo Bongo

Countermeasure

Decathalon

Defender

Diagnostic Cartridge v2.3 (Various versions, 1.0, etc)

DigDug

Dreadnaught Factor

Final Legacy

Frisky Tom

Frogger 2 - Threedeep!

Frogger

Galaxian

Gorf

Gremlins

Gyruss

H.E.R.O.

James Bond 007

Joust

Jungle Hunt

K-Razy Shoot-Out

Kaboom

Kangaroo

Keystone Kapers

Looney Tunes Hotel

Mario Brothers

Megamania

Meteorites

Millipede

Miner 2049er

Mini-Golf

Missile Command

Montezumas Revenge

Moon Patrol

Mountain King

Mr Do's Castle

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man Jr

Pac-Man

Pengo

Pete's Diagnostic Cartridge

Pitfall II# Lost Caverns

Pitfall

Pole Position

Popeye

Q@Bert

Qix

Quest For Quintana Roo

RealSports Football

RealSports Tennis

Realsports Baseball

Realsports Basketball

Realsports Soccer

Rescue On Fractulus

Return of the Jedi

River Raid

Roadrunner

Robotron# 2084

Space Dungeon

Space Invaders

Space Shuttle

Spy Hunter (XL Conversion)

Star Raiders

Star Trek# SOS

Star Wars# Death Star Battle

Star Wars# The Arcade Game

Stargate

Super Breakout

Super Cobra

Super Pac-Man

Tempest

The Last Starfighter

Track & Field

Vanguard

Wizard Of Wor

Xari Arena

Xevious

Zaxxon

Zenji

Zone Ranger

New 5200 Conversions

--------------------

ANALOG Multicart (XL Conversion)

Archon (XL Conversion)

Atlantis (XL Conversion)

Attack of the Mutant Camels (XL)

Batty Builders (XL Conversion)

Buried Bucks (XL Conversion)

Captain Beeble (XL Conversion)

Caverns of Mars (XL Conversion)

Chess (XL Conversion)

Chicken (XL Conversion)

Claim Jumper (XL Conversion)

Clowns & Balloons (XL Conversion)

Cosmi 2-in-1 (XL Conversion) (broken?)

Crossfire (XL Conversion)

Crystal Castles (XL Conversion)

Demon Attack (XL Conversion)

Desmonds Dungeon (XL Conversion)

Diamond Mine (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong (XL Conversion)

Donkey Kong Jr (XL Conversion)

Fast Eddie (XL Conversion)

Ixion (XL Conversion)

Jawbreaker (XL Conversion)

Jumpman Jr (XL Conversion)

K-Star Patrol (XL Conversion)

Mr Cool (XL Conversion)

O'Riley's Mine (XL Conversion)

Pacific Coast Hwy (XL Conversion)

Pastfinder (XL Conversion)

Preppie (XL Conversion)

Raster Music Tracker (XL)

Satans Hollow (XL Conversion)

Shamus (XL Conversion)

Spy Hunter (XL Conversion)

Tapper (XL Conversion)

Turmoil (XL Conversion)

Up'n Down (XL Conversion)

Worm War I (XL Conversion)

Others

--------------

Boogie (Demo)

Barroom Baseball

Black Belt (Unfinished prototype, not much fun)

Crystal Castles Demo

Various 5200-Basic Demo Carts (Debug 52, Doom, etc)

Jum's Pong (Doesnt work on a real 5200 with modification)

Meebzork (unfinished prototype)

Microgammon (ick)

Pastfinder (HIP Graphics Demo)

Spitfire (prototype)

Sport Goofy (prototype)

Yellow Submarine Demo

New Commercial Titles

---------------------

Beef Drop

Haunted House II (out of production)

Combat II (out of production)

Klax

Bristles

Koffi

Quest for the Golden Chalice (are we there yet? :))

I'll be able to play my 5200 again as soon as my replacement switch box arrives. My other one was fried a long time ago. Not only that but I won an auction on eBay about a week ago for two 5200 controllers with the holder, so that should arrive here shortly (then I can finally play Space Dungeon in all it's glory).

Even though it's just an 'Atari 400-in-a-box' it has enough going for it to make it different and fun to play.

I didn't realize that there were so many conversions available. Can any of these be purchased in cart form from anywhere?

If you count all the broken, half finished and unplayable stuff, there is quite a lot.  This is my current list, anything missing?

That's a very comprehensive list. Besides what Albert already mentioned, you're also missing the following:

RS Basketball has 2 unique versions:

Prototype version 1

Prototype version 2

These are unique and very different from one another.

Blaster (I didn't see this prototype listed)

Menu Cart (A menu screen probably meant for use with the hotel unit ot perpahs the POP kiosk)

Ticker Tape Demo (a demonstration of what you can do with logos, Not much to see really)

For anyone interested, these are the versions of the Diagnostic Cart that are available:

Pete's Test Cartridge

Man now that i know gyruss is on it i got to look even harder know i always loved my nes version even though it never worker right. (a big white dot grid covered the screen i have no idea why after many cleanings i still never got rid of them). Very off topic i know have any of you purchased one of the redeamers? Are they worth the 50$ Since the controlers apear to brake so damn easy.

Great finds, SteveW. Gyruss is great on the 5200 and even works with digital sticks, much to my surprise, though watch out for the bugs...

A few weeks ago at work, I finally met someone who had a 5200 back when they were new, I couldn't believe it! Of course, the reason she and her older sister stopped using it was that the joysticks broke. She was amazed to learn I still had one. (She was chatting with someone else about the Jakks joysticks and how she used to like Galaga...)

I've got a rather dirty 2-port 5200 in my closet that I'm not sure works or not, been using a shiny 4-port for the past year or so when the 2-port stopped (though this may just have been my old switchbox breaking down!)