IGNORED

Game Idea: Bomberman 2600

Retrofan

Hi there!

I've done a new (animated) mockup screen of Bomberman2600 which is more doable (what do you think?):

Amazing work as usual!

I think it is doable when shrinking the game horizontally a little. Make the border left and right 4 PF pixels wide and use only the remaining 32 PF pixels in the middle for the game.

Other than that, it'd probably have the ususal maze game flicker, depending on the # of objects.

Greetings,

Manuel

• 2 years later...
OMFG!! Bomberman on the 2600!! This looks VERY doable and I must say your sprites look marvelous!!

EDIT: Didn't notice this was a 3 year old thread :(

Retrofan is really good at this, isn't he... :)

Well, with a few differences it might be doable... here's where I smell trouble:

1. Top of the screen: The 6-char score is certainly doable, however the display of remaining lives isn't, since the 6-char display already uses both players. The lives display would have to be changed to blocks (as it's done in Centipede, for instance) or use different scanlines (as done in Ms. Pac-Man).

2. Playfield: In the places where there's blocks that can be removed by explosions, the playfield is asymmetrical, that is, taking up a lot of CPU time per line. I doubt if this is possible with a full-width playfield while at the same time displaying a color-striped player and enemies in a single-line kernal. Logically, the playfield would be divided into blocks of scanlines which essentially look the same or are repeating over 2-4 scanlines (4 only for the explosions). Between those blocks of asymmetric playfield, there always would have to be some scanlines showing a symmetric one (e.g. only the steady blocks without the removable ones). A good candidate for those would be where the front side of the blocks gets shown. This, however, requires the removable blocks to have no front side (while there is one in the screenshot), otherwise the playfield wouldn't be symmetrical in those lines. Those lines would get used for things like repositioning the enemy / bomb player, changing the foreground color and setting up some variables for the next block of scanlines. I wonder if 2 scanlines are enough for this, though, since you still have to display the color-striped player sprite (if the other one gets repositioned) or both the player and enemy sprite (if no repositioning takes place).

Oh, and the enemy sprites also are a bit too wide (10 instead of 8 pixels).

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Got bored tonight, so I thought I'd see how do-able something in this vein would be. Here's the demo:

- NO SOUND

- WONKY A.I.

- NO SCORE

- UNLIMITED LIVES

- BUGS

Still.... ~ 6 hrs work. Better than I was expecting.

Anyway, move around with the joystick. Fire drops a bomb. It will explode in a few seconds. You can't drop another until the one on the screen explodes. If you touch the explosion or a monster you die. Clear the screen by blowing up both monsters.

bomb.bin

Got bored tonight, so I thought I'd see how do-able something in this vein would be. Here's the demo:

- NO SOUND

- WONKY A.I.

- NO SCORE

- UNLIMITED LIVES

- BUGS

Anyway, move around with the joystick. Fire drops a bomb. It will explode in a few seconds. You can't drop another until the one on the screen explodes. If you touch the explosion or a monster you die. Clear the screen by blowing up both monsters.

nice... :)

Well... for 6 hours work it's pretty good. And it's a start. I just extensibly played the arcade version (or one of them) and then the 1986 MSX version to have something to compare it to.

I think the game could be improved in the following order and ways:

1. Scoring... as far as I know, you get 100 points for every enemy killed. If you kill multiple enemies with one explosion, each subsequent enemy is worth 100 points more.

2. Blockers... these are the walls between the playfield grid which can be taken down. I know this is difficult, because it introduces an asymmetric playfield... and you need some way to know which walls are still there and which have been taken down

3. Make the explosions bigger

4. Improve the enemy AI so that they won't go over blockers and bombs (Oh, and you yourself also can't go over them)

I know this is rather much to ask for after what you've done already... I'm a programmer myself and know how hard it is to code... especially in assembler. Just for the record, I spent 33 hours so far on programming a version of Tetrinet for the Magnavox Odyssey^3 (or Philips G7400), and what I've produced so far roughly consists of 1 K of code and 1 K of data. So each point I mentioned may well mean 4 more hours of work...

- NO SOUND

- WONKY A.I.

- NO SCORE

- UNLIMITED LIVES

- BUGS

Thanks guys. This was just basically me goofing around and it presented different challenges from some of the things I've done in the past. Like I said, this is just a demo, but I may try to expand it out into something a little more polished and closer to the real thing. But it would probably only ever be Bomberman-esque and not a actual port.