IGNORED

Yie Ar Kung-Fu A8

Heaven/TQA

Yea, I found this a while back some place or other. It looks very good. Nice to see the use of a high res font with PM overlays. I like to see attention to detail. Maybe it should be a multiload though to be XL/XE rather than requiring 256Kb. :) great stuff. more more.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas,

YAKF does not work on a real Atari !! tested it on a 320k and a 576k Atari and it always crashed while loading... looks like this version merely works on an emulator... oh well...

IK+ is dead. The authors are no longer coding that game (ripping the gfx was easy, but implementing the AI was not, so they gave up)... -Andreas.

Change the memory settings, select a lot of memory....

I have it set to XL/XE and 1088KB RAM. The intro screen comes up and starts playing some sounds then crashes. :?

Did you try running in PAL mode?

Stupid me. :dunce:

Thanks, now it works.

• 1 year later...

Ok, here's the last (almost) working beta. All opponents, game over and happy end is on the place.

The game can occasionaly lock up after the players' presentation, so running it on emulator (and saving the state) is strongly recommended. ATR format, 320 kB needed...

Unfortunately this is the last version of this game. :( I wish someone will check it out...

Well - have fun! :)

yie.zip

Ok, here's the last (almost) working beta. All opponents, game over and happy end is on the place.

The game can occasionaly lock up after the players' presentation, so running it on emulator (and saving the state) is strongly recommended. ATR format, 320 kB needed...

Unfortunately this is the last version of this game. :( I wish someone will check it out...

Well - have fun! :)

Cool, thanks for the release!

I'm really missing the original Jarre music, even though yours is nice too :-)

...spoiler....

post-6191-1156293290_thumb.png

After the first impression, i didnt liked the new intro music. But, thinking , the new musics are more oriental style. Maybe its better then.

Great porting for the 8bit !!!... the only thing, its a pity only works in 320Kb, maybe in the future will have a solution.

Good job!

Looks great - though it requires 256meg RAM :?

What up with dat?

You meant 256K of ram of course...There are several XE "super cartridges" that when converted to files require 128/256/320K of memory becuase that's what they were on cart, but I don't know about this one...

:( How simple to rework it as a bank-switched cart?

That's what is needed. But I sure wish someone could get it to work on a REAL atari, 320k or not (I have a 320K machine), I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE!!!! Emulators and refuse to EVER use one...even if it means missing out on a game like this. :sad:

EDIT: KICK ASS!!! IT WORKS!!! Just to be sure, I decided to try this on my REAL 320XE with the PAL conversion, and it works FINE!! (though it did crash the second time around fighting NUNCHA-3rd guy) So, anyway, it seems if you have a real PAL or PAL converted Atari with 320K (or more probably) it will work on the REAL THING!!!

Not as good as IK+ would have been, but at least this one is playable and not left for dead! I don't recall if I ever played this game on another system, and therefore I don't recall the music, but I like the oriental style music in this version fine!

EDIT #2: I've now managed to make it to stage 4, the POLE guy, after losing to the NUNCHU guy on stage 3, 3 times, and so the stage 4 guy got me and it was game over. But it didn't crash at all, and the background graphics get better on stage 4. I also like the game over screen. Overall, this seems to be a very cool game with very cool graphics and music, though so far winning seems to be just a matter of jumping all over and random button mashing...still very cool. I'm glad I upgraded to 320K and did the PAL conversion!

Edited by Gunstar

How do you do a PAL conversion to a American Atari????

For 100% PAL compatibilty you need to swap out the NTSC OS, GTIA and ANTIC chips for the PAL versions. For 99.9% compatibility, all that's needed are PAL GTIA and ANTIC chips. For 95% compatibility just replacing the ANTIC is enough, which is what I currently have done, though I did recently get the PAL GTIA, but haven't installed it yet. This game works fine with just the PAL ANTIC chip. Best Electronics and B&C Computervisions both have all these chips in stock, IIRC, for about $10 each. The % is based on % of games that will work. NTSC games will still work fine 99.9% of the time with this conversion too. But you do need a TV/monitor that is capable of displaying both 50hz and 60hz signals; I use a Commodore 1084s monitor, but many newer TV's are capable of this too. Also be aware that the screen is "squished" compared to NTSC, though overscanned graphics have a better resolution, and also there is definate "flickering" at 50hz PAL, which is very noticeable to people used to NTSC, and does give some headaches or sore eyes from staring at it, at least until you get used to it. I would make an educated guess that one could do the same to a PAL machine to make it NTSC compatible...

Edited by Gunstar

@PG: Well, Vega didn't like the original music, so i wrote this one. The rest of music (almost) is written using sid-based midi-files from this site. It was great fun to convert it. The sid2pokey engine ate too much processor time to run the game at desired speed.

Unfortunately the author (after over half of year fighting) gave up on this. And the next version had even more lousy bugs... :_(

So, maybe someone could dig in code and see what's wrong. The game is freeware and can be modified.

Edited by miker

For 100% PAL compatibilty you need to swap out the NTSC OS

There is no such thing as "NTSC OS" in XL/XE computers.

Don't be stupid. It may not be called "NTSC" OS, but there is an OS that is DEFINATELY different from the PAL OS, and it is the OS that is in NTSC Atari's, so by DEFAULT it is an "NTSC OS." :roll: If you want to be stupidly technical about it, then I'll call it the OS that is in NTSC machines verses the PAL OS.

Edited by Gunstar

For 100% PAL compatibilty you need to swap out the NTSC OS

There is no such thing as "NTSC OS" in XL/XE computers.

Don't be stupid. It may not be called "NTSC" OS, but there is an OS that is DEFINATELY different from the PAL OS, and it is the OS that is in NTSC Atari's, so by DEFAULT it is an "NTSC OS." :roll: If you want to be stupidly technical about it, then I'll call it the OS that is in NTSC machines verses the PAL OS.

I didn't mean the name. The XL OS is one and the same in PAL and NTSC machines, so there's nothing to replace in this matter while converting an XL/XE machine from NTSC to PAL.

Edited by drac030

drac030 is absolutely right. The PAL vs. NTSC OS exists on pre-XL models only (400/800). The XL/XE is a "smart" ROM that detects the actual model and adapts accordingly.

You might want however, to patch the ROM if you have the typical ANTIC only PAL modification. The ROM will think it is running on an NTSC computer (because GTIA is NTSC) and will attempt to use the wrong timing. IIRC, the only important aspect affected is tape handling. So probably not worth the hassle if you don’t use tapes. Note that you can't replace the ROM with a standard one, you must patch and make a custom one.

Of course that replacing GTIA is much better, but it is not that simple. You can’t just change GTIA. For replacing GTIA you need to replace most (might be the whole) video circuitry, including the color clock crystal. If the video circuitry doesn’t match GTIA, then it will produce the wrong colors (don’t know, you might get not colors at all), disregarding if you TV/Monitor is PAL, NTSC or dual-norm. Obviously it is much simpler to get a whole PAL computer.