IGNORED

A li'l game...kinda fishie...

vdub_bobby

Here's my second stab at a 2600 game...a port of that ubiquitous flash game.

Let me know what you think.

Currently it is about 1.5K. I'm going to try to squish it down to 1K...and maybe also beef it up to 4K.

EDIT: I am going to try to keep the latest version of Go Fish! attached to this post. I will still leave my original attachment (fishies.zip) attached as well.

EDIT: May 12 2005. New binary attached (gofish.zip).

EDIT: May 31, 2005. New binary attached (gofish05312005.zip)

EDIT: June 1, 2005. Yesterday's binary reattached with a few small bug fixes.

EDIT: June 7, 2005. New binary attached (gofish06072005.zip).

EDIT: June 8, 2005. New binary attached (gofish06082005.zip). Fixed a few bugs, and now should erase high scores (in AVox EEPROM) when you hold down RESET and SELECT at powerup. Untested, though. :ponder: :D

fishies.zip

GoFish.zip

gofish05312005.zip

gofish06072005.zip

gofish06082005.zip

Edited by vdub_bobby

I'm not sure what I am supposed to do, but it looks really good!

Hey, you didn't give up on RunningMan did you?

Oh. Guess I should have explained :)

You are the gold(ish) fishie. Your goal is to eat the other fishies. You can eat fishies that are your size or smaller. As you eat and eat, you will grow (thereby allowing you to eat bigger fishies).

And don't get eaten by the bigger fishies!

Running Man...I needed a break, so I slammed this out. I plan to return to Running Man next :)

Lives? You wimps! :)

Here's a link to the flash version that I (from memory) based my game on:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fishy.html

You only have one life in that version which is why you only have one life in mine.

But, hey, I can be persuaded :) Maybe I'll make the # of lives selectable or something.

After replaying the flash version, I realized that it had no gravity. I guess I just remembered wrong. So with that, and since neotokeo2001 requested, no more gravity.

Sound (music/effects) is planned also...though it might not make the 1K version.

New version without gravity and with slightly different scoring attached.

fishies.zip

I like the no gravity version much better. I think it also makes the game a little easier which should handle the only 1 life problem. The new scoring system is cool too.  

I gotta ask. Will there be a shark??  :D

What is this shark you speak of?

Here's another update...added new (annoying?) music, which you can turn off with the player 2 difficulty switch. I tried to set reasonable volumes for the music (it's quieter when you are playing), but I'm running on an emulator so I'm not sure how reasonable they are. Is the music too loud/quiet?

Changed scoring slightly.

Also made it start out easier and get harder.

Changed some of the fish graphics.

Currently I'm trying to figure out why the screen momentarily rolls/blanks when you hit Reset for the first time. I've traced my code and traced my code but I can't figure it out. Doesn't seem to affect anything else, though.

Oh, and thanks for all the nice comments :)

fishies.zip

Hi there!

What is this shark you speak of?

http://intvfunhouse.com/games/shrk.php

Greetings,

Manuel

Hmm. Never heard of that before...I guess that was the original for the flash game? What does the shark do? I'll dig up an Intellivision emulator to play it, I guess. The review you linked to raved about the music, so maybe I'll try to steal it.

I really like this game! 8)

The music is fine, it keeps me moving and paying attention! I like it!

Starts out a little slow, but once I got around 500 points, it really picked up, and that was fun! :D

I also liked how it stopped at the next to largest fish, so I still had some to dodge! Just picking them all off would be no fun! :D

Also, the inertia works really well. All in all, this is a GREAT game so far! Keep up the good work!

One Suggestion: Maybe you could add a short death sound? Like a quick buzz or something? I think it would be nice before the loud music kicks back in. :D

-------

Chase Hermsen

I like the no gravity version much better. I think it also makes the game a little easier which should handle the only 1 life problem. The new scoring system is cool too.  

I gotta ask. Will there be a shark??  :D

You wanted a shark, you got one :)

Latest and greatest. Not too different, just with a shark, I think.

fishies.zip

Upon realising you can eat fish of your same size, I now revoke my previous statement that the game moved slowly. Now it's just right! :D

I'll try the version with the shark tomorrow/later tonight, I'm burning enough time away typing this as it is, and need to finish something. :ponder:

---------

Chase Hermsen

Hey, this is pretty awesome! It's always exciting to hear about a new 2600 release, and this sounds like it could be pretty promising. Shark! Shark! was a lot of fun on the Intellivision, but the game has some control issues which make it less enjoyable than it could have been, even on the recent Intellivision Lives! collection for home consoles. Hopefully this 2600 game will address those issues.

JR

Hey, this is pretty awesome!  It's always exciting to hear about a new 2600 release, and this sounds like it could be pretty promising.  Shark! Shark! was a lot of fun on the Intellivision, but the game has some control issues which make it less enjoyable than it could have been, even on the recent Intellivision Lives! collection for home consoles.  Hopefully this 2600 game will address those issues.

JR

Just to be clear...this isn't a direct port of Shark! Shark! In fact, this isn't a direct port of anything, though it obviously is closely modelled after the flash game I linked to above (which was probably closely modelled after Shark! Shark! itself).

And,

what control issues are you referring to? I played Shark! Shark! a little via emulator, but I'm not very familiar with the game.

Now that I've played the game a considerable amount more,

I have the following requests and comments:

For the future, if and when you decide to expand upon this game or even

if its something to be implemented now, one of the things that I think

would really add well to the game would be a start screen.

Even if its a simple black screen with a logo featuring the topscore and

your initials or racecar or whatever that would add so much to the

experience of the game in my eyes I mean hey, almost 30 years of the

2600 and even today we can't put in some more title screens? heh.

(yes I am aware that many of the 2600 games today do infact have them)

This one is definitely for later say if you expand it to an 8k game or even

if its implementable now, I don't know would be merely animated fish.

two frames, yeah I know that would double the size of the graphic

data for the most part but thats why I suggest this one assuming that

you'll manage to make an 8k version

Personally I can't find any "flaws" to the game, you have music

(I love how it quiets down once you start to play) you have action

you have multiple fish kinds and even wonderful colours

All in all its a wonderful solid game.

Okay, I'll be quiet now and let you get back to working on it!

Now that I've played the game a considerable amount more,

I have the following requests and comments:

[...]

Thanks for the comments/requests/suggestions. Those are all good ideas. As far as animation goes, well, that's on my list :)

The game is less than 2K right now and the graphics data are only about half a page (128 bytes). So I could probably make like all the fishie graphics 5+ frame animations and still have plenty of room in 4K :)

Anyway, right now I am working on the super-condensed 1K version. When I finish that I will return to work on the 2K/4K version.

All suggestions/requests are welcome!

Cool game. I've played the flash one before. Here's my idea:

1 - Yes you need an intro. Would be so much cooler.

2 - Some fish gulp sound would be nice.

3 - If you did decide to expand and make "different levels" it would be cool that instead of a score why not make it say "10 lbs" -- as you eat the other fish it shows you how much your fish weighs. When your fish gets to it's largest size there's a break in the game, maybe an intermission, then the next level.

Anyway, awesome game. Keep up the good work!

Someone should make a port of this:

http://www.freshpulp.com/fishtank/fishtank.html

It's a similar game, but you feed your fish food when he's hungry.. you buy more fish when they die.. you buy other stuff to protect your tank from predators. The fish poop out money and you gotta catch them.