IGNORED

Shen programmer at UK GDC 2004.

justclaws

Hello,

I just noticed that one of the speakers at the GDC in the UK last

year has a rather prestigious history, and has done well via Jag.

Julien Merceron, Ubi Soft Entertainment

Julien Merceron started developing on the Atari Jaguar in 1993 at Shen in Paris, programming on Super Burnout, a motorbike racing game, and Nexus, a shoot-em-up. He joined Ubi Soft Entertainment in 1994 and worked on programming for Rayman 1 for the Jaguar and Playstation. He then programmed for POD for the M2 prototype of the 3DO and worked on the online features of POD PC, and was the lead programmer on Tonic Trouble for the Nintendo 64. He worked on programming for Rayman 2 for Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast, and did R&D for Rayman 2 for PlayStation 2. Julien is now the worldwide technical director for Ubi Soft Entertainment

Nexus is an unknown title to me, unless it's also known as ZZyyorxx

(although I probably spelt that wrong, but you probably guess) and I

wondered if anybody here was at the GDC last year, sadly I could

not attend, but I'd love to see if he mentioned the Jaguar, or if any

he had any interesting chats with anybody off-topic about old times?

At least the Jaguar start gave him a good job now, what a hero. :)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

ZZyyorxx looks right to my memory, but I'd have to look at some old papers to remember for sure, the name is right, if not the spelling. I would guess that Nexus is the same game, as we all know, games often go through name changes during the development cycle, and Nexus would have been a better "market oriented" name than ZZyyorxx which is harder to remember and the marketing staff was probably turned off by the spelling.

I'd like to know if any "prototypes" of the game exist...it would be a GREAT Jaggy find! Now we at least have a name to get started looking into it! That is, someone like Songbird that could make use of the info and look into it...

Hi Justclaws!

Hello,

I just noticed that one of the speakers at the GDC in the UK last

year has a rather prestigious history, and has done well via Jag.

Julien Merceron, Ubi Soft Entertainment  

Julien Merceron started developing on the Atari Jaguar in 1993 at Shen in Paris, programming on Super Burnout, a motorbike racing game, and Nexus, a shoot-em-up. He joined Ubi Soft Entertainment in 1994 and worked on programming for Rayman 1 for the Jaguar and Playstation. He then programmed for POD for the M2 prototype of the 3DO and worked on the online features of POD PC, and was the lead programmer on Tonic Trouble for the Nintendo 64. He worked on programming for Rayman 2 for Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast, and did R&D for Rayman 2 for PlayStation 2. Julien is now the worldwide technical director for Ubi Soft Entertainment

Nexus is an unknown title to me, unless it's also known as ZZyyorxx

(although I probably spelt that wrong, but you probably guess) and I

wondered if anybody here was at the GDC last year, sadly I could

not attend, but I'd love to see if he mentioned the Jaguar, or if any

he had any interesting chats with anybody off-topic about old times?

At least the Jaguar start gave him a good job now, what a hero. :)

Wow I didn't know that. I liked Super Burnout really a lot on the Jag and I liked POD on PC a lot. I was also looking forward to ZZyyorxx and Rayman is amazing on the Jag too. I had no idea POD was ever planned for M2, though.

What does this story tell us? Good game developers/designers can get a good start in the game industry even on not so well known systems as the Jag, as long as their work is good.

Thanks Justclaws for posting this. Very interesting.

Regards, Lars.

Hi !

I'm waiting for many years the name of the Shoot'em up from Shen !

It's Nexus ! :P

If you can translate this page from my web site , you will see that Nexus isn't Zzyorxx because Thierry Schembri ( Zzyorxx programmer ) said that "Nexus" was an other shoot'em up , better than his game

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atarijaguar/French...terviewhtml.htm

Hello,

Hi !

I'm  waiting for many years the name of the Shoot'em up from Shen !

It's Nexus !  :P

Well I'm glad I mentioned that then! :D

If you can translate this page from my web site , you will see that Nexus isn't Zzyorxx because Thierry Schembri ( Zzyorxx programmer ) said that "Nexus" was an other shoot'em up , better  than his game
Of course this makes sense now.

Zzyorxx was Virtual experience, not Shen, so I was getting confused.

Now maybe you can email this guy and see if he still has Nexus code?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

(not) Totally off topic..

..attended a gfx/computergame seminar this this thursday.. one of the "professional speakers" told (though in a naging complaining tone) about how he "had to go" to GDC in sanfransisco last week... and how horrible it was to only have suggerish donuts for breakfast.. and how horribly many seminars there was to choose from... and implied that it was "far to generous" by microsoft to hand out a 42" plasma TV to all attenders to their seminar that had a specific kind of colour on their "Tag" ...(Im guessing he didnt win one :) ...

I say, next time sendsomeone that whants to go, ME! =)

/gamecoder@heart

I went to that link, and apparently, my foreign language department is lacking, but it seems that this guy was involved with several different Jaguar developments including Zzyrrxx 2 and Super Burnout among other things. I didn't notice any references to 'NEXUS', but I noticed Commander Blood was mentioned, A LOT, and something to do with Carl Forhan and Commander Blood? My French is weak at best, but doesn't it say he's procurred or is the current posessor of Commander Blood?

Hello,

Hi !

I'm  waiting for many years the name of the Shoot'em up from Shen !

It's Nexus !  :P

Well I'm glad I mentioned that then! :D

If you can translate this page from my web site , you will see that Nexus isn't Zzyorxx because Thierry Schembri ( Zzyorxx programmer ) said that "Nexus" was an other shoot'em up , better  than his game
Of course this makes sense now.

Zzyorxx was Virtual experience, not Shen, so I was getting confused.

Now maybe you can email this guy and see if he still has Nexus code?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I think I was also confusing developer and game /project. I do remember seeing some stuff on Zzyorxx, and I know that in Shen's credits it speaks vaguely of an upcoming shootem'up, so I think I naturally condused Zzyorxx with Shens reference. Not too mention that many people naturally mix the two up or think one developer did both Skiing&Snowboarding and Super Burnout, since the graphic "engines" are so similiar.

Now there are two games to find. Zzyorxx and Nexus. There was some info a while back on a shooter, and some screenshots were shown of it (a lost project, not something current like Star Alliance), was that NEXUS? The screen shot looked like a horizontal side-scrolling shooter, it was in high-color (very colorful/realistic) and looked like some kind of "Jungle ruins" background with "carved rock" wall/ruins and overgrowing vegitation...anyone else remember the screenshots I'm talking about?It wasn't Zzyorxx either, I remember screen shots of it.

For Zzyorxx , it's not really difficult if you can persuade Thierry Schembri to give the rest of the source... he was at the JC 2004 with his Sparrow ( falcon proto ).

the graphist worked on an Amiga with Brilliance for the graphs and Thierry on a Falcon for the code, he has lost a part of the code and the graphs deseapered with the graphist... ;)

For Nexus , just try to find Elysee Ade or Olivier Nallet ( quantic dream )...

Hello Fred,

For Zzyorxx , it's not really difficult if you can persuade Thierry Schembri to give the rest of the source... he was at the JC 2004 with his Sparrow ( falcon proto ).
So will he be at the Jaguar Connexxion event??? (I hope so...)

the graphist worked on an Amiga with Brilliance for the graphs and Thierry on a Falcon for the code, he has lost a part of the code and the graphs deseapered with the graphist...  ;)
That tends to be the problem - code but no supporting resources. :(

For Nexus , just try to find Elysee Ade or Olivier Nallet ( quantic dream )...
Can't you just drop a nice French email to Julien Merceron above? :)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 10 years later...