IGNORED

Retro Redux

Pretty cool, seems kind of wierd though. Havent people been making homebrews for a while now? Why didnt they make it a contest for all the hobbiest to make a game for the new flashback? Its probably a tax write-off and they get a new game out of it, and meaby find some talent to recruit. Its good for the students to I guess to have a published game on your reseume.

Pretty cool, seems kind of wierd though. ... Its good for the students to I guess to have a published game on your resume.

Just a high profile promotion by Atari/Infrogrames. And the "published" game has to be programmed by someone here to make it work on a real 2600 .. or maybe the flashback2 will support this kinda "I can make a real game in 24 hours" game software. :P

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(sorry for my english)

Looks like they used Gamemaker 6 program to code and Photoshop for graphics. Just look inside RetroReduxDevelopersKit.zip that is on the

http://retroredux.parsons.edu/index.htm

But what stands for "based on the original Atari 2600 technology"? It all looks more like simulation or simple retro-style. Strange seems that results of contest not mentioned on the HQ of contest. I suppose that some other guys will translate winner`s game to "an upcoming version of the Atari® Flashback™ Game Console". But they may have troubles with flicker and all the things (I don`t know - what is Atari Flashback`s hardware based on?).

Only thing that I understand that it is DESIGN contest with set of rules (like allowed palette and number of sound effects which can be used in game), not CODING contest, but again if it all-retro, game must be designed by one man and on some assembly language to save authenticity and feel, but it is certainly can`t be implemented in reality (where can you find so many 2600 coders now?). Wrong accents - they should`ve mention Gamemaker first.