IGNORED

Midway Arcade -> Atari 2600 port

Cybergoth

Which of these Midway Arcades should be ported to the 2600?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Midway Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Amazing Maze
    • Datsun 280 Zzzap
    • Tornado Baseball
    • Checkmate
    • Desert Gun
    • Dog Patch
    • Guided Missile
    • Laguna Racer
    • M-4

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Datsun 280 Zzzap was called Midnight Racer, which looks a lot like Night Racer on the 2600, i was playing around hacking that recently, so i might try to hack a 2600 version of Datsun 280 Zzzap, to see if i can.

But my vote is would be for M-4, but i just want to see you try Amazing Maze sorry :)

Haydn

Hi there!

Datsun 280 Zzzap was called Midnight Racer, which looks a lot like Night Racer on the 2600, i was playing around hacking that recently, so i might try to hack a 2600 version of Datsun 280 Zzzap, to see if i can.

That would require not too much work I think. First you'd probably have to switch it to Joystick control, so you can add shifting gears and brakes. Then adding the guy giving you the starting flag would also be a cool touch.

Greetings,

Manuel

That would require not too much work I think. First you'd probably have to switch it to Joystick control, so you can add shifting gears and brakes. Then adding the guy giving you the starting flag would also be a cool touch.

I am proberly better starting with something a bit simpler then, just doing the graphics, and leave the complex stuff for a while.

Haydn

If people wanted a primitive game that they've never heard of, there are already many options.

If M1 was turned on its side it could probably be programmed pretty quickly. That's a good 2-player game.

I don't think you would need to turn it on its side. Probably could get it in 1K, too.

I just hear tales of how much easier things are when the objects move horizontally.

Really, all of these games suck. None of them were hits, so there's no nostalgia value either. If you want a Midway game, theres' great latter-day stuff like Space Zap, Timber, Lazarian, Robby Roto, Wacko, Domino Man and the magnificent little-known Crater Raider.'

Still hoping Satan's Hollow and Kick-Man already exist somewhere.

If M1 was turned on its side it could probably be programmed pretty quickly. That's a good 2-player game.
Really, all of these games suck.

So, which is it? :D

It would be easier if it was horizontally aligned instead of vertically - but it would certainly be possible to do it vertically and, if you are making a port, might as well be as faithful as you can, when you can.

I got some nostalgia for M-4, it was the game in the lobby of the theatre where I saw Star Wars 15 times. Aside from that, it really doesnt fill a hole in the 2600 library at all. But that's the one I voted for because I'd certainly be playing it.

Has anyone else ever even seen this game in the wild?

I agree that these games suck. The only good games to come from Midway back then were Gunfight and Sea Wolf... Maybe Manuel should do those? Wait... never mind.

Seriously, how about some pre-79 Atari/Kee games? There were some good ones that were never done (AFAIK) like Fire Truck.

...I bet these would all look great on the Vectrex... :ponder:  

minorleageguy

I agree. I think this are better suited to the Vectrex for the most part.

I had a chance to try all these out today. M-4 is the definite best of the lot and would be the one I would probably buy if it made to to cart form o the VCS.

Hi there!

I don't get the voting. Amazing Maze is Maze Craze so what's the point?

Amazing Maze has two players entering the maze on opposite sides of the screen. It's your goal to find the exit on the other side faster than your opponent. There's even a little bit of strategy involved: While you have to find your own way, you can also have an eye on the other guy and memorize his path, so once you meet each other, you can quickly finish your way.

Is this how 2600 Maze Craze works? I admittedly never really played it...

In general I know that those early Midway games look very simple, but it's always interesting to see some spiced up homebrews based on simple basic principles. Also these are ideal beginners projects.

There's two homebrew cart releases available with Pong variants, so why not trying these as well? :)

Maybe try a classic Sega poll next? I vote for Eliminator.

Hm... I don't find one from Sega, but MAME lists a game called Eliminator from Gremlin, is it that?

Greetings,

Manuel