IGNORED

Emulation of 2600 "frying"

batari

If you're like me, you used to "fry" your 2600 all the time and miss doing this since nobody has tried to emulate this (as far as I know) but aren't trying it anymore since you don't want to risk melting your expensive CC2 or whatnot.

I assume that all that really happens is the registers and memory contents are scrambled. I took it upon myself to modify Stella from source to do this, since one advantage of open source is so you can add features yourself if they are not there. It wasn't too hard to do since the changes are relatively trivial, but the way I did it is probably considered BAD programming. But it works, and I'll share the binary for you to play with.

I compiled it for Mac OSX 10.3.3 since that's what I've got. But since I didn't change anything Mac-related it could be built for a PC too, just not by me since I don't have the proper tools to do so. PM me if you want the source to build a PC version, and I'll email it as long as you promise not to laugh at the bad coding I've done.

To install, unzip the file into your StellaOSX directory, which will create a new icon called StellaOSXFrying. To fry, start the game and press the right driving controller button (the "end" key on my iBook.) You can refry the same game as many times as you want. Note that often the game will crash or do really weird stuff, as did the real 2600...

Let me know what you all think!

http://www.geocities.com/qwerty123123/StellaOSXFrying.zip

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser. If it still doesn't work, PM me and I will email it to you.