IGNORED

Atari 2600 Mission X???

Tempest

I was not aware of a MissionX prototype either. The MNetwork page doesn't say that it was not programmed, just that the game was cancelled. The curious thing is that this has an INTV style label. Does anyone have an MNetwork/INTV protos to compare it to? I'll let you know if I find out anything more.

Here's the page I got it from: http://www.geocities.com/atarirx/

Apperently Geocities doesn't like you linking to pictures directly. I hate these cheesy free sites...

I could just be a regular Intellicart with an adapter glued to the end, or a mock up from a CES show or catalog.

Tempest

It would be so easy to slap a white-label Intellivision Mission X label onto an M Network/INTV cart, that I wouldn't count on that "proto" being legitimate. Especially since it's obviously a production label, which would imply there'd be a *lot* of these things floating around. You could quite easily make "protos" of a good number of Intellivision games this way.

..Al

I've actually seen that photo floating around the net sometime before -- IIRC it was quite a while ago.

My best guess is that it is one of two possible items:

a) A well-done forgery (or "creation of someone's imagination" if you want to be nice about it)

b) A display mock-up for a trade show. (If this is what it truely is, that's not too shabby of an item!)

I doubt it is an actual prototype. I see very little reason for INTV to go to the expense of creating finished labels for the game just for the sake of testing or development.

I guess there is a third possability as well.

c) It was a released game, a very limited release put out late in the lifecycle of the 2600.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: twit ]

maybe it was an opium smoking cart manufacturer in asia, that didn't know what's written on these labels anyway .... they might just took a name from the list, confused a number, and started the production of another game with some wrong labels.

i've seen the funiest errors on pirate cart, a short S.S. cartridge (supposed to have those plain english titled black labels) with a grey label on top and colored german title and a rainbowvision/suntek label on the front.

is just a stoned producer making us crazy?

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Could be, but that label looks pretty professional to me. Either they snagged it from an Intellivision cart, or it's a mock-up from a show. Either way I'd like to see it some time.

The thing is, one of these INTV style labels would be extremely easy to fake. I could whip out one in 15 minutes and print it up on my office's color laser printer. I believe that an untrained eye couldn't tell the difference.

While the label on that Star Strike looks like a production label in that it's white and uses a similar font/layout, it appears from the picture that it's a little too tall and not cut to the same size as production labels. Since I don't have the cart in front of me, I can't verify this. Can you, Joel?

..Al