IGNORED

Stunt Cycle '76

s0c7

Trying to right yet another graphical wrong for the Atari. Maybe not on the level of Pac-Man, but it grates on my nerves.

Changed Stunt Cycle to look a little more like the real thing. No more are you driving Herman's dragster from the Munsters through a oddly above ground/below ground world (jumping tombstones?). :? What were they thinking? Actually, that would make a cool hack...

Anyway, you're now actually driving a motorcycle. For the colors, I shot for a b&w look & feel without actually going b&w.

Unfortunately, I'm going mostly from my somewhat failing memories of playing it back in the late 70's. I did look at the screenshots on KLOV, and they helped a little.

Note: As it has gone through a lot of changes, the original bin has been removed. To make life easier, the latest is attached here. This is also the latest screenshot.

post-6510-1114692265_thumb.jpg

Edited by s0c7

Here's a screenshot. BTW - does anybody have a screenshot from the old dedicated home unit? I've heard the gameplay is pretty much the same as the arcade. I'd like to see how they crammed all that on a regular tv screen. Without major alterations trying to change this would result in "Come one, come all... See Evel Knievel jump 32 matchsticks!"

post-6510-1114319553_thumb.jpg

Here's a screenshot.  BTW - does anybody have a screenshot from the old dedicated home unit?  I've heard the gameplay is pretty much the same as the arcade.  I'd like to see how they crammed all that on a regular tv screen.  Without major alterations trying to change this would result in "Come one, come all... See Evel Knievel jump 32 matchsticks!"

842855[/snapback]

The difference between the arcade unit and the two home versions .. is that on the second acceleration line the cycle goes from right to left.

Even though you can jump up to 32 busses on the home dedicated unit .. the physics of the jump aren't right when jumping the first say 14 busses. And there are some really jerky motions at one point in acceleration. Resolution is a little better on this one than the 2600 proto.

The arcade version was best of all!! If I remember correctly .. when it ate $10 of my quarters!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

The difference between the arcade unit and the two home versions .. is that on the second acceleration line the cycle goes from right to left.

Even though you can jump up to 32 busses on the home dedicated unit .. the physics of the jump aren't right when jumping the first say 14 busses.  And there are some really jerky motions at one point in acceleration.  Resolution is a little better on this one than the 2600 proto.

844263[/snapback]

Hmmm...... Interesting. May have to try to pick up a home unit sometime.

One note of interest about the 2600 version:

I made a semi-trained version of this hack for my son. I altered the initial speed of the motorcycle so he could just set it in motion and successfully jump a few before having to actually try to control it (he's only 2 1/2). I guessed I'd probably be able to get over the 1st 3 this way. I was surprised to find you can get over the 1st six all by going the exact same speed.

I like the idea of having a real arcade port of Stunt Cycle for the 2600 that I made some label art of many diffent cart from Picture Silver version 1 and 2.I took an old flyer fromthe arcade and then had to draw the old bus by hand with Photoshop coloring.

845234[/snapback]

Hey..... really cool! The first one is my favorite.

If anybody is interested, please look at the screenshots below. Should I stay with the 2600 version style ground or go with the more arcade looking alternative?

post-6510-1114657488_thumb.jpg

Edited by s0c7

I like the idea of having a real arcade port of Stunt Cycle for the 2600 that I made some label art of many diffent cart from Picture Silver version 1 and 2.I took an old flyer fromthe arcade and then had to draw the old bus by hand with Photoshop coloring.

845234[/snapback]

Hey..... really cool! The first one is my favorite.

If anybody is interested, please look at the screenshots below. Should I stay with the 2600 version style ground or go with the more arcade looking alternative?

845374[/snapback]

More on the arcade looks^_^ Now if you can make it all B&W then we got somthing here! And your riight I do like the first old Picture Label one my self:)

Edited by Atariboy2600

More on the arcade looks^_^ Now if you can make it all B&W then we got somthing here! And your riight I do like the first old Picture Label one my self:)

845384[/snapback]

This ok? :) I drastically reduced the number of scanlines. It plays fine under emulation. Not sure if it will cause issues on a real TV.

post-6510-1114659188_thumb.jpg

Edited by s0c7

Yea now all you need is to make the right side score number black and you got it!:)

Is that the score for the 2nd player? If so, you'll note on the 2 player games the 2nd players score is black (it depends on who is up as to which one is showing).

I'm going to play around with it a bit this weekend when I have more free time. I have an experiment in mind, but I doubt it will come to anything.

So for now, consider this a "final" release (unless anybody discovers some issue with it).

Big thanks to everybody who contributed information and opinions.

@Atariboy2600 - your stuff rocks. Thanks.

Oh, BTW - to anybody who had the home unit. How many crashes did it allow per game?

Edited by s0c7

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, BTW - to anybody who had the home unit.  How many crashes did it allow per game?

845592[/snapback]

8 crashes .. as I remember which is the same as the arcade version.

Are you able to increase the number of busses???

My interest in the home unit is to provide an output from the throttle control and see if it will work as a Paddle substitute. Control your hack with the home unit!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

850798[/snapback]

Haven't given up on it, but need to step back from it for a little while. The path I was going down wasn't leading anywhere. Need to rethink my direction.

My interest in the home unit is to provide an output from the throttle control and see if it will work as a Paddle substitute.  Control your hack with the home unit!

850798[/snapback]

That would be way cool. :cool:

850798[/snapback]

The first way I wanted to do it was a dead end. As for the alternatives :ponder: ... see screenshot. I think I understand how the ramps and buses are done. Just have to figure out where certain things are. The buses can probably be done at half the width they are now and still look ok.

No matter how it is done, there is still the issue of it only being designed to go up to 9. This will require a ton of reworking on its guts. So don't get your hopes up.

Anyway, I still consider Stunt Cycle '76 finished. If this thing with the extra buses ever comes to anything maybe it can be Stunt Cycle '76 Deluxe. :roll:

Unless of course somebody prefers the new bus style. I'll change that if need be. Is it more arcade like, or did I accidentally create sandmountainslim's Fonz hack (the episode where he jumps the barrels, or was it trashcans? The shark came later.)?

post-6510-1115616740_thumb.jpg