IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Quoted from Gamasutra today:

Atari has announced the Flashback 2.0, a second standalone collection of classic Atari games that attaches directly to televisions. The lineup of 40 games in the 2.0 version includes Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Lunar Lander, Breakout, Missile Command, and Combat, amongst others. Furthermore, though not mentioned in the announcement, it's possible that this is the edition of the Flashback that will contain the winner of the Retro Redux competition, held in early April. The unit will retail for $30, as opposed to the first Flashback's price point of $45.

sTeVE

It's shaped like a heavy-sixer...

Looks like a cart-port, but if the machine is as small as the original FB, the cart port will be to small to be real...

considering that the joysticks look like they are as big as the originals, the system itself looks to be a mini vcs.

845824[/snapback]

There is no cart port accessible from the outside. :ponder:

..Al

I don't want to burst any bubbles, and Curt really should be making the reply probably. But the new FB2.0 is small. It has roughly the same footprint as the first FB. In fact, that box is a pretty good example. Only the FB2.0 next to the CX-40s is still on the large size in that pic. Unless the design has changed from what I saw earlier...

I have seen pictures of the FB2.0 compared to an actual 2600. Trust Al and I on this one, that cart port in the pic is only for looks.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Very good packaging, that should get a lot of people's attention.

They show some paddle games on the box, yet the system comes with joysticks. Those must not be original binaries. Hopefully the joystick games are unaltered.

Are the joysticks removable DB-9s? That would be nice, but given the price reduction, I wonder if they're hardwired serial devices. If the system really is binary compatible, that might also explain the price reduction since they wouldn't have to pay for much reprogramming outside of the paddle games.

Are the joysticks removable DB-9s?  That would be nice, but given the price reduction, I wonder if they're hardwired serial devices.  If the system really is binary compatible, that might also explain the price reduction since they wouldn't have to pay for much reprogramming outside of the paddle games.

845885[/snapback]

Joysticks are removable, with standard DB-9 connectors that are electrically compatible with standard Atari joysticks. Paddles and other Atari 2600 controllers will also work in this unit.

..Al

Looks nice. It's exactly as Curt said that it was going to do, so far. Now, the question is, are the solder points really there to add in your own cartridge? If so, looks like I have some hacking to do!

Also, think about this folks. Real cartridge slot + new technology = Who needs an audio/video mod anymore? :cool:

I aint too worried about warlords and joysticks, as I have the real cart and paddles.

Edited by keilbaca

Looks good, but, Lunar Lander?!?!?!?!  Was something new uncovered, or is this just the variation from Star Ship / Outer Space?

Ed

845920[/snapback]

There are several new and revamped titles on the Flashback 2.0. :)

..Al

845929[/snapback]

Is this a Lunar Lander that was developed by Atari but never made it for release? That was going to be a title I developed after I get the VHDL done :)! I've got to see this :)!!!!

Ed

Any photo's yet ?

845743[/snapback]

right here

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/mediaviewer.jsp...6type%3Dpartner

845760[/snapback]

Cool, looks like a "HEAVY-SIXER" with the thick sides. I kinda want one... NO I DO want one. I know I could be a good friend to it, really good friend tooo it :evil:

WHY not put a cart-port in it and make new small cart games or a card-port for games on cards like the Sega Master system had or that GameBoy reader card thing ? :ponder:

Edited by Draikar

Wow.

The original FB didn't really impress me, and the reviews even less so.

This ... this actually impresses me. It's a mini sexy! And it has DB9 ports! And even the box looks all retro nouveau!

I'm going to have to see if I can get one of these in Canada. Or get someone south of the 49 to get one for me. :-)