IGNORED

Jetman (my second 2600 minigame)

cd-w

I have attached the ROM (and source code) for my second Atari 2600 1K minigame

to this message. The idea for this game came about while I was working on a new missile

routine for Hunchy. The actual game was inspired by JetPac on the VIC 20 (and other platforms).

The aim is simply to collect fuel for the rocket ship, and avoid the missiles. The controls

are left/right and thrust (fire button).

post-6563-1115114950_thumb.jpg

I didn't have space for a score or energy indicator, so the sky is used instead. The height

of the sky indicates your energy level (you die when the sun sets), and the colour of the sky

indicates the game level. There are 16 levels in total, and the sky colour changes every

second level. The number of missiles, and the quantity of fuel that you need to collect

increases on every level.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm not sure that the gameplay is quite there yet, so if

you have any suggestions then I will be happy to hear them.

Chris

jetman01.zip

Edited by cd-w

This is a nice little game!

It'll make collisions harder, but have you considered trying this game with gravity? If you keep track of the speed and position of the guy w/ 16 bits (8 integer 8 fraction) and then never modify the position directly, just change the speed and then add the speed to the position each click, you might get a fun inertia to the game...

It'll make collisions harder, but have you considered trying this game with gravity? If you keep track of the speed and position of the guy w/ 16 bits (8 integer 8 fraction) and then never modify the position directly, just change the speed and then add the speed to the position each click, you might get a fun inertia to the game...

848554[/snapback]

Yeah I was thinking a little gravity would be nice too. I would also like to see the player recieve damage if he fell from too high.

Also do the platforms ever change location or are they constant?

Very cool little game.

-Tim :)

Jet Pac is one of my all time favourites (and was one of my very first games I got for the ZX Spectrum... hm... twenty years ago!?). I would really encourage developing this into a faithful Jet Pac clone... here's a suggestion for a design for the Jet Pac sprite...

post-5564-1115150013.gif

Regards,

Moderntimes99

848554[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback. There is already a bit of a gravity effect to stop you plummeting

instantly when you release the thrust, but it could be better. Also, there should probably be

a delay when you are moving downwards, and you hit the thrust, though this would probably

make the game a lot harder. I don't think I have space in 1K to implement the fractional

technique, but I might work on an extended version later.

Thanks,

Chris

Jet Pac is one of my all time favourites (and was one of my very first games I got for the ZX Spectrum... hm... twenty years ago!?). I would really encourage developing this into a faithful Jet Pac clone... here's a suggestion for a design for the Jet Pac sprite...

post-5564-1115150013.gif

Regards,

Moderntimes99

848665[/snapback]

I don't think a faithful version will be possible on the 2600, as there are a lot of sprites on-screen

at the same time. However, I could probably implement the bit where you have to construct the

spaceship instead of just collecting fuel.

Chris

This is awesome!  Very fun, and nice little jetman sprite!  Cool sound effects too, though the laser firing sound is a little weird.  Not very laser-like to my ears.

Fun stuff :)  :thumbsup:

848508[/snapback]

Thanks - I'm glad you liked it (your "Go Fish" game is much better though!).

I couldn't figure out how to make a good laser sound with the TIA, so I went

with this instead. If anyone has a better effect then please let me know ...

Chris

Thanks - I'm glad you liked it (your "Go Fish" game is much better though!).

I couldn't figure out how to make a good laser sound with the TIA, so I went

with this instead.  If anyone has a better effect then please let me know ...

Chris

My Go Fish! game is also 8 times as big :roll: :D

I'd say that your man should go a tad slower than the missiles. Maybe you could skip the movement routine for the man every 8 frames or something. Also, I wouldn't mind if the rocket took a little more fuel to fill up. You finish the levels really fast.

But all in all, this is a really fun game! Keep up the good work!

I don't think I have space in 1K to implement the fractional technique, but I right work on an extended version later.

But you know that there is always space left for optimisation? ;)

Also, fractional movements really don't need much ROM space, just a bit more RAM. If you search the [stella] archives, you should find some discussion and code snippets.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Also, fractional movements really don't need much ROM space, just a bit more RAM. If you search the [stella] archives, you should find some discussion and code snippets.

849126[/snapback]

Yes, it amazing how much space can be saved when you really put your mind to it. I have now managed

to free about 30 bytes of ROM (and there is plenty of free RAM), so I will have a go at implementing a better

gravity routine soon.

Chris

849126[/snapback]

Yes, it amazing how much space can be saved when you really put your mind to it. I have now managed

to free about 30 bytes of ROM (and there is plenty of free RAM), so I will have a go at implementing a better

gravity routine soon.

Chris

849183[/snapback]

Excellent! Sometimes it amazes me at how few classic games bother with inertia...but it's pretty easy to program, and can give a game a lovely feel.

• 1 month later...
Excellent!  Sometimes it amazes me at how few classic games bother with inertia...but it's pretty easy to program, and can give a game a lovely feel.

849192[/snapback]

It's important to sanity-check velocity, though. Otherwise goofiness can ensue (e.g. in Spacewar, if a player just keeps thrusting in the same direction).