IGNORED

7800: Pac-Man Completed.

PacManPlus

Hey Ken:

Thank you very much for the explanation...  The Pac-Man Logo is part of the character set...  Although I don't have much room left to try and attempt that... I'll see what I can do :)

Kepone:

Hmm.  I just tried it, and that doesn't happen to me.  Blinky does get faster than you toward the end of a level, but it should only be him, and that should happen every level. :(

861319[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with which ghost is which but I have tried the "B" difficulty (I think) and it seems a little easier, though the maze looks different. Maybe that was the problem.

Thanks again, Guys :)

I made an attempt at a manual...  I just used most of the text from the 5200 version, and put it in the format of the 7800 Ms. Pac-Man manual.  I also added text about the difficulty switches.  It's in Microsoft Publisher format (it's a pretty big file - 5.5Mb!) So if anyone wants it we'll have to figure out a way to get it to you :)

861241[/snapback]

WOW! I love it soo much I hope that your next idea is making Super Pac-Man! :D

BTW is there a way you can make a Better-Pac-Man game for the 2600 from that hack Ms-Pacman game but this time have Pacman's death from a Mspacman to the real Pac-Man death ;)

Thanks again, Guys :)

I made an attempt at a manual...  I just used most of the text from the 5200 version, and put it in the format of the 7800 Ms. Pac-Man manual.  I also added text about the difficulty switches.  It's in Microsoft Publisher format (it's a pretty big file - 5.5Mb!) So if anyone wants it we'll have to figure out a way to get it to you :)

861241[/snapback]

WOW! I love it soo much I hope that your next idea is making Super Pac-Man! :D

BTW is there a way you can make a Better-Pac-Man game for the 2600 from that hack Ms-Pacman game but this time have Pacman's death from a Mspacman to the real Pac-Man death ;)

862227[/snapback]

Have you seen Hack 'Em?

This is amazingly cool. If you don't mind me throwing out some suggestions--

One thing that's always bugged me about Atari's Ms. Pac Man conversions is the robotic look they gave to the ghosts. A large part of the appeal of the Pac Man series is the cutesy graphics, and they totally lost it with the sharp-angled, square-eyed ghosts. A second thing that bothered me about the ghosts is that they seemed so squat and wide... as if they could barely fit between the maze walls. Ironically, it's possible to restore the roundness to the ghosts while simultaneously reducing their resolution, shaving a column of pixels off both sides so they're proportioned more like their arcade counterparts.

Also, for some reason the Atari versions make Pac Man shorter than the ghosts, where in the arcade they're the same height. Another minor niggle is the hugeness of the dots. They almost look like the dread dashes of the 2600 version.

And on a conversion-related note, in Pac Man the extra guys face the opposite direction. The fruit too.

Anyway, I've attached a mockup that illustrates what I'm talking about.

post-2663-1117141059_thumb.png

Thanks for the compliments ZylonBane, Bryan :)

@ZylonBane: You know what's funny about that? When I first started changing the graphics I actually did thin out the monsters by one pixel instead of two, but I didn't like the way it looked so I put it back. :-/ Although the way you did it, it looks pretty cool... I'll have to re-visit it. BTW, I actually made Pac-Man one pixel shorter, because it bothered me that the top and bottom parts weren't even (Ms. Pac-Man always looked like she had over-bite to me because her top half was 1 pixel higher than the bottom). I had to change that. It's also that way in the 5200 Ms. Pac-Man as well :-/

@Bryan: Nukey Shay already brought up that point to me and I though it was a great idea, but the problem is there are two black bars on either side of the maze (used to hide the players & monsters when they go through the side doors). So I couldn't move the score to get that extra row in. :( BTW, I have to thank you - it was finding your partial disassembly of the 5200 version of Pac-Man that got me started with all this hacking (Hangly-Man, PacManPlus, and now 7800 Pac-Man) :-D

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Finally got to play this on my Cuttle-Cart, and must say I'm impressed. It's an extremely welcome filled gap in the library of 7800 arcade conversions, and near-identical to its arcade source, that differences. (mostly sound FX that I noticed) are mostly dismissed as nitpicking.

It's times like this I kinda wished the 7800 used some slighlty bigger cart ROMs, and gave us two or more similar games as selectable varaitions on the same cart (Pac/Ms. Pac, Asteriods/Deluxe, Centipede/Millipede)

@Bryan: Nukey Shay already brought up that point to me and I though it was a great idea, but the problem is there are two black bars on either side of the maze (used to hide the players & monsters when they go through the side doors).  So I couldn't move the score to get that extra row in. :(

There's always the overscan route. How many lines does it use now? I used 210 lines in Castle Crisis. :)

BTW, I have to thank you - it was finding your partial disassembly of the 5200 version of Pac-Man that got me started with all this hacking (Hangly-Man, PacManPlus, and now 7800 Pac-Man) :-D

Thanks again,

Bob

862443[/snapback]

You're welcome. I always meant to finish that. It's still on my stack of things to do.

-Bry

Hey, my eyes seem to popular.

I was worried a bit about the eyes because while does make them look cutesy, the way I did it made them kinda crossed eyed.

I wouldn't be suprised if those eyes found their way to 7800 Ms. Pac-Man.

Thanks for the kind words.

I was playing the lastest build and I realized that the eyes of the ghost after you eat them just didn't look right.

Here's an edit to make those eyes match the new ones.

This is 3X the original size.

post-4750-1117594827.gif

Does anyone make 7800 carts? I'd like to get one of this game.

865531[/snapback]

Since I don't have a Cuttle Cart, I've been hacking apart my duplicates to play Bob and Ken's 7800 gems. I haven't seen this documented anywhere else so this past weekend I decided to document the process. Attached is a tutorial for converting a 32K PCB to take a 32K EPROM which will work for any of the Bob's pacman hacks or the new homebrews like frogger, qbert, and beef drop. I did this pretty quick so I apologize in advance if a step is unclear or if I had a typo.

I hope this helps somebody...

Jeff

Creating_7800_32K_EPROM_Cart.zip

Does anyone make 7800 carts? I'd like to get one of this game.

865531[/snapback]

Since I don't have a Cuttle Cart, I've been hacking apart my duplicates to play Bob and Ken's 7800 gems. I haven't seen this documented anywhere else so this past weekend I decided to document the process. Attached is a tutorial for converting a 32K PCB to take a 32K EPROM which will work for any of the Bob's pacman hacks or the new homebrews like frogger, qbert, and beef drop. I did this pretty quick so I apologize in advance if a step is unclear or if I had a typo.

I hope this helps somebody...

Jeff

866171[/snapback]

This is excellent! Superb work! :D

Very nice work! I'm curious though (and maybe a bit late), why is the maze different from the original Pac-Man. It makes the game challenging and it's somewhat refreshing to see a variation. However, I'm a purist when it comes to classics like this and i'm wondering why at least a version with the original maze was not done (or was it?).

Very nice work! I'm curious though (and maybe a bit late), why is the maze different from the original Pac-Man. It makes the game challenging and it's somewhat refreshing to see a variation. However, I'm a purist when it comes to classics like this and i'm wondering why at least a version with the original maze was not done (or was it?).

869970[/snapback]

I think you're talking about the Hangly Man Maze. The original maze is in this version of Pac-Man. What are you playing this with? The original maze can be played by flipping the difficulty switch.

• 4 weeks later...