IGNORED

Kirk's BestOf Series: GC

Don't know why I'm on this kick, but I thought I'd finish off the Nintendo Home Console series of these.

This was a bit of an awakening for me...maybe it's not fair because the system still has games coming out for it, but compared to the N64, the game selection seemed a lot less vibrant, with a lot more sequels that really were mostly minor upgrades. Maybe Nintendo really is resting on its laurels...but until Sony figures out how much sense having 4 controller ports without a multitap makes, I will always prefer Nintendo over Sony...Xbox is giving it a run for its money in this gen for 4-player fun, however.

So...

It's...

KIRK'S BESTOF SERIES: GC

Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader

Wow. As great as Rogue Squadron was for the N64, this game just took it to a whole new level. The battle over Endor was jawdropping.

Super Monkey Ball 1+2

Can't stand the one player mode but one of the finest multiplayer options for the system...the racing, hang-gliding/target, and punch were all nifty in the first game and much improved in the second.

Super Smash Bros Melee

A lot more frenetic than its N64 ancestor...too bad you have so much you have to unlock in one player mode!

Mario Kart Double Dash

Another worthy sequel.

Mario Power Tennis

Another minor improvement over the N64 version, but solid 4-player fun.

Pac-Man Vs

Great fun for dedicated gamers and the non-hardcore alike, using the GBA as a small screen for Pac Man while everyone plays the ghosts.

Luigi's Mansion

A nice short story of a game, with nice show-off-the-system graphics.

WarioWare, Inc

Hee! Short Attention Span Theater for gamers. Could stand more simultaneous minigames, though.

Time Splitters 2

A quality FPS by the same team that brought us Goldeneye on the N64...nice co-op mode.

Metroid Prime

I mostly watched my friend chug through this, but it really captured the mood of the original and made the transition to 3D fairly smoothly.

Honorable Mentions:

StarFox: Armada / Zelda: The Wind Waker / Super Mario Sunshine