IGNORED

Upgrading TOS

I tihnk you have to swap out ROM chips.

850072[/snapback]

Right :) But make sure, that you have the right number of chips - TOS 1.00 is on 6 chips, so you need a 6-chip TOS 1.04

Mike

850121[/snapback]

I have TOS 1.0 one 2 chips! I have a non-working ST with TOS 1.04 in it on 6 chips, so I'm not able to swap unfortunately. I bought an Artifex TOS 2.06 CPU card upgrade board off of E-bay to install, but I haven't yet becuase the instruction booklet is in german, so I have to get it translated, but it's far to large to tranlate on translation.com without joining/buying the software (I forget which it is now, it's been a long time since I went there). Is there a FREE tranlation site that can handle/allow you to translate larger documents? I'd have to type it all in I guess, even if there is such a site. But once I get this baby installed, it'll be awsome!

Edited by Gunstar

Isn't there a jumper on the board to allow you to choose between two or six chip TOS sets? I'm pretty sure mine has one.

Mitch

852362[/snapback]

If you mean a standard jumper that you can plug in or unplug (a little black, square jumper thing), mine doesn't seem to have one (I have a rev. C board), if you mean one that needs to be soldered or desoldered, then there may be, but I don't know where it is...I have always thought it strange that it wouldn't be a simple as a jumper since there are six sockets on-board...There is a solderable jumper next to where the TOS sockets are, labled A16&A17 which are also labled 256k (open-no jumper point soldered) and 1M (closed-jumper point soldered) on both A16&17, but I always figured this was for memory depending on if it was a 520ST with 512k installed or a 1040ST with 1MB installed...Is this in fact for the TOS chips? otherwise, I'd like to know where the correct jumper is...

My working ST is a 1040STF rev. C board with a 2-chip TOS 1.0 installed. My non-working ST is a 520STF Rev. D board. The rev.C board has the ram under the power board and the TOS sockets in front of it to the left side. The rev. D board has the TOS sockets under the power board and the ram set in two rows towards the front of the board. I wish I could get the 520ST working, since it has a 4meg 30-pin simm upgrade board installed in it as well as a 4096 color upgrade MMU board too (that requires two MMU chips), both made by John Russel Innovations, but I've found nothing on the net regarding these upgrades and think the reason it isn't working is becuase they were improperly installed or something. If I could find the original intallation instructions, I might be able to get it working. It powers up, but it has problems, wierd shit onscreen and whatnot, it may be becuase of a lack of shielding since the metal shielding case was removed to maek room for the upgrades. but I'd be happy just getting TOS 1.4 installed in my 1040. Or, this TOS 2.6 board from germany, if I could get translated installaion instructions for it.

Edited by Gunstar

I'm pretty sure those jumpers you mentioned are for the memory. It's been a while since I opened my 1040 but it seems like the soldered in jumper was in the middle of the board not very close to where you'ld expect it. It's possible that I have a different rev board, seems like mine had the space for a blitter chip as well.

Mitch

I'm pretty sure those jumpers you mentioned are for the memory. It's been a while since I opened my 1040 but it seems like the soldered in jumper was in the middle of the board not very close to where you'ld expect it. It's possible that I have a different rev board, seems like mine had the space for a blitter chip as well.

Mitch

852437[/snapback]

My board seems to have the spot for the blitter chip too, I can't imagine what else it could be for...Another thing that I find VERY strange is that my Rev. C board has the spot for the Blitter, but my Rev. D board does not! What's up with that? Or were there different boards/revisions completely for 520 and 1040's? Or maybe the later rev. D board doesn't have the spot for the blitter as a cost-cutting revision? Knowing Atari, I wouldn't doubt that.

Edited by Gunstar

Is there anyplace on the net that I can get electronic schematics of the 1040ST? Preferably the Rev. C 1040STF board that has the ram under the power supply and an open spot for the blitter (strange thing is that I've been looking at various modifications for the ST and many people say they have "REV. C" boards that have TOS under the power supply, and other differences, more like what the Rev. D board I have is set up,) but basically I REALLY, REALLY just want to find out where this JUMPER that mithc spoke of is located so I can change it to accomidate all six chips, which I have sockets for on my 1040, but it only has a 2 chip TOS 1.0 or 1.2 installed (my NEOdesk says it's 1.0, but it's "supposedly" documented that 1.0 only came on 6 chips, so maybe mine is 1.2 but neodesk recognizes 1.2 as 1.0?) Would i need to purchase some kind of ST "field manual" in order to get these schematics? The online Atari dealers seem to want a MINT for these things. Big suprise there...

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER!!! To the question of how to switch between 2 chip and 6 chip TOS versions!!! At least on later 520/1040STFM versions (like my Rev. C motherboard taht has the spot for the Blitter, and those that have the blitter installed) So here it is to all whom it may concern; this may have similiar points on other motherboards too): The A16 and A17 jumper points that I mentioned earlier above, along with a jumper point labled 'CE' just above the MMU are INDEED the 3 jumper points to swithc between 2 or 6 chip TOS chips! If they are soldered on the 256kB side, it is for the use of the 256k( 6 chip) TOS sets. If it is soldered on the 1MB side, it is set up to use the 1MB TOS chips (2 chips). So you are NOT LIMITED to using 2 or 6 chip upgrades depending on your board and if you have 6 TOS chip sockets! Just desolder and solder the appropriate jumpers (256k/1MB) at the 3 locations specified (A16-next to TOS sockets) (A17-next to TOS sockets) and (CE-above the MMU). I KNEW it had to be BS that you were stuck with 2 or 6 chips TOS depending on what your computer already had! Otherwise WHY put in 6 sockets when only 2 chips are used ?!?!? HA! :cool: :thumbsup:

I have successfully upgraded from a 2 chip TOS 1.0 (possibly 1.2?-not sure) to 6 chip TOS 1.4 (rainbow)! :lust:

Edited by Gunstar

• 3 months later...
I FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER!!! To the question of how to switch between 2 chip and 6 chip TOS versions!!! At least on later 520/1040STFM versions (like my Rev. C motherboard taht has the spot for the Blitter, and those that have the blitter installed) So here it is to all whom it may concern; this may have similiar points on other motherboards too): The A16 and A17 jumper points that I mentioned earlier above, along with a jumper point labled 'CE' just above the MMU are INDEED the 3 jumper points to swithc between 2 or 6 chip TOS chips! If they are soldered on the 256kB side, it is for the use of the 256k( 6 chip) TOS sets. If it is soldered on the 1MB side, it is set up to use the 1MB TOS chips (2 chips). So you are NOT LIMITED to using 2 or 6 chip upgrades depending on your board and if you have 6 TOS chip sockets! Just desolder and solder the appropriate jumpers (256k/1MB) at the 3 locations specified (A16-next to TOS sockets) (A17-next to TOS sockets) and (CE-above the MMU). I KNEW it had to be BS that you were stuck with 2 or 6 chips TOS depending on what your computer already had! Otherwise WHY put in 6 sockets when only 2 chips are used ?!?!? HA! :cool:  :thumbsup:

I have successfully upgraded from a 2 chip TOS 1.0 (possibly 1.2?-not sure) to 6 chip TOS 1.4 (rainbow)!  :lust:

859792[/snapback]

Only the Atari 1040STf (with Blitter pads) has those "jumpers". The rest of the STs do not. But, there is a way to get the 6-chips version of TOS to work, someone just has to find out. :roll:

I FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER!!! To the question of how to switch between 2 chip and 6 chip TOS versions!!! At least on later 520/1040STFM versions (like my Rev. C motherboard taht has the spot for the Blitter, and those that have the blitter installed) So here it is to all whom it may concern; this may have similiar points on other motherboards too): The A16 and A17 jumper points that I mentioned earlier above, along with a jumper point labled 'CE' just above the MMU are INDEED the 3 jumper points to swithc between 2 or 6 chip TOS chips! If they are soldered on the 256kB side, it is for the use of the 256k( 6 chip) TOS sets. If it is soldered on the 1MB side, it is set up to use the 1MB TOS chips (2 chips). So you are NOT LIMITED to using 2 or 6 chip upgrades depending on your board and if you have 6 TOS chip sockets! Just desolder and solder the appropriate jumpers (256k/1MB) at the 3 locations specified (A16-next to TOS sockets) (A17-next to TOS sockets) and (CE-above the MMU). I KNEW it had to be BS that you were stuck with 2 or 6 chips TOS depending on what your computer already had! Otherwise WHY put in 6 sockets when only 2 chips are used ?!?!? HA! :cool:  :thumbsup:

I have successfully upgraded from a 2 chip TOS 1.0 (possibly 1.2?-not sure) to 6 chip TOS 1.4 (rainbow)!  :lust:

859792[/snapback]

Only the Atari 1040STf (with Blitter pads) has those "jumpers". The rest of the STs do not. But, there is a way to get the 6-chips version of TOS to work, someone just has to find out. :roll:

934263[/snapback]

I'm not sure you are right about that, maybe they aren't labeled as nicely, but I'm SURE that regardless of the ST the answer lies in jumpers of some sort. But I try to help, you say it's no good for you, THEN, you go and dig up this old thread that I was refering too, and you say the same damn thing again! Telling me I was wrong, twice, about the exact same thing, in two different threads, when, obviously I know more about ST than you, is ridiculous. With that kind of attitude, your going to be "finding out" all by yourself. You are going to be the "someone." I think you better shut the hell up and start looking for those jumpers. It's the only way I'm sure of it. Edited by Gunstar

859792[/snapback]

934263[/snapback]

I'm not sure you are right about that, maybe they aren't labeled as nicely, but I'm SURE that regardless of the ST the answer lies in jumpers of some sort. But I try to help, you say it's no good for you, THEN, you go and dig up this old thread that I was refering too, and you say the same damn thing again! Telling me I was wrong, twice, about the exact same thing, in two different threads, when, obviously I know more about ST than you, is ridiculous. With that kind of attitude, your going to be "finding out" all by yourself. You are going to be the "someone." I think you better shut the hell up and start looking for those jumpers. It's the only way I'm sure of it.

934330[/snapback]

I know you are not talking to me, punk! It is YOU that "better shut the hell up", because you do not know what you are talking about. Prove me wrong, big mouth, by showing me a high resolution picture of those "jumpers" on a MegaST motherboard.

I looked at my Mega ST 2/4 Service manual.

It states...

For 256K (6 chip TOS) you need W2 and W3 in position 1-2, W4 jumpered, and U12 has no use (and might not even be there).

For 1M X 2 (2 chip) it says W2 and W3 need to be in position 2-3, W4 jumper removed, and U12 needs to be there. U12 is a 74LS11

Here is a link to a Mega ST motherboard picture I found on the web. I highlighted the jumpers. (its an animated gif, so wait five seconds for the highlights to come up. They toggle on and off every five seconds. It is about a 700K gif.

http://www.hillsoftware.com/Atari/megast.gif

It states...

For 256K (6 chip TOS) you need W2 and W3 in position 1-2, W4 jumpered, and U12 has no use (and might not even be there).

For 1M X 2 (2 chip) it says W2 and W3 need to be in position 2-3, W4 jumper removed, and U12 needs to be there.  U12 is a 74LS11

Here is a link to a Mega ST motherboard picture I found on the web.  I highlighted the jumpers. (its an animated gif, so wait five seconds for the highlights to come up.  They toggle on and off every five seconds.  It is about a 700K gif.

934535[/snapback]

Bought a new Mega ST motherboard from Best Electronics not too long ago. One of the inserts that came with it was on how to use either 2 or 6 chip TOS sets. It seems to follow what you just said....

859792[/snapback]

934263[/snapback]

I'm not sure you are right about that, maybe they aren't labeled as nicely, but I'm SURE that regardless of the ST the answer lies in jumpers of some sort. But I try to help, you say it's no good for you, THEN, you go and dig up this old thread that I was refering too, and you say the same damn thing again! Telling me I was wrong, twice, about the exact same thing, in two different threads, when, obviously I know more about ST than you, is ridiculous. With that kind of attitude, your going to be "finding out" all by yourself. You are going to be the "someone." I think you better shut the hell up and start looking for those jumpers. It's the only way I'm sure of it.

934330[/snapback]

I know you are not talking to me, punk! It is YOU that "better shut the hell up", because you do not know what you are talking about. Prove me wrong, big mouth, by showing me a high resolution picture of those "jumpers" on a MegaST motherboard.

934495[/snapback]

Looks like Belboz and Darklord proved it for me...moron.

859792[/snapback]

934263[/snapback]

934330[/snapback]

934495[/snapback]

Looks like Belboz and Darklord proved it for me...moron.

934722[/snapback]

No, moron, I said that only the 1040STf has those jumpers clearly marked, the others do not.

It states...

For 1M X 2 (2 chip) it says W2 and W3 need to be in position 2-3, W4 jumper removed, and U12 needs to be there.  U12 is a 74LS11

Here is a link to a Mega ST motherboard picture I found on the web.  I highlighted the jumpers. (its an animated gif, so wait five seconds for the highlights to come up.  They toggle on and off every five seconds.  It is about a 700K gif.

934535[/snapback]

Thank you so much, dude :)

This is exactely what I was looking for. :D

@Gunstar:

I just noticed your question about a translation website: I always use FREETRANSLATIONS.COM

Lots of languages. The only annoyance is that after two or threee translations it loks you down for a while, asking if you would like a manual, paid-for, translation.