IGNORED

Best joysticks, on a budget or otherwise?

mitsubachi

Hey, I'm a new collector and I've just gotten myself a junior in the box. It came with the CX78 joypads, which are perfectly good to play with, but I'm collecting more for the fun of reliving my childhood (thus the junior version) and it's the CX40 joysticks I want.

However, as I'm just getting started and want to get gaming asap I don't really have the luxury of waiting around for the right price on the joysticks I want.

So what other brands would you recommend I keep an eye out for? What is the best of what comes up pretty often on ebay? Or is there no real substitute for the CX40, and I will just have to pay what's being asked now or wait for it to come up at a better price?

There is one currently going for about $20 (AUD), but I really didn't think they'd be worth that - maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice would be helpful, since I'm starting out and pretty much just woke up a week ago and said "Yes, time for an atari." I've been buying based on my fond memories ever since, and I get the impression that this isn't the smartest way to go about it. :ponder:

Also, thanks to atari age crew - what little break there was in my madness for research, was done with this website.

The most popular seem to be the Suncom Slik Stik (and variants), Competition Pro, or the Wico Command Control (known commonly as the "bat"). Myself, I love the Epyx 500XJ. Contoured to fit the hand, durable microswitches, it has a great feel to it. The microswitches make it a little noisy, but it's extremely responsive and has just enough play in the stick to give good feedback and precision control during gameplay.

I've tried others, mind you. The good ol' CX40 is the classic of course, but a bit lacking in the ergonomics department. The Slik Stik is solid, but feels and plays like a brick; the stick has almost no play whatsoever. Some people like that about it though. The Wico sticks are nice for the arcade feel, but a bit too big and clunky for handheld use; it's really meant for a tabletop.

Hey thanks for the help :) I found a few coming up on ebay... I think I must just have expensive tastes since the one I was drawn to, seen here, is now the same price as the CX40 I was looking at.

There is a Wico up for sale atm too, and I must admit it looks pretty good, however for the same money there is a lot of 6 various joysticks, which would at least offer the opportunity to try a few different styles of design.

You've at least made it pretty clear for me that actually holding them and giving them a go will be the best way to decide. It's a shame there's not much of the old gaming systems to be found around my parts so I can paw at them a bit before sinking my dollars in.

Hey, I'm a new collector and I've just gotten myself a junior in the box. It came with the CX78 joypads, which are perfectly good to play with, but I'm collecting more for the fun of reliving my childhood (thus the junior version) and it's the CX40 joysticks I want.

However, as I'm just getting started and want to get gaming asap I don't really have the luxury of waiting around for the right price on the joysticks I want.

So what other brands would you recommend I keep an eye out for? What is the best of what comes up pretty often on ebay? Or is there no real substitute for the CX40, and I will just have to pay what's being asked now or wait for it to come up at a better price?

There is one currently going for about $20 (AUD), but I really didn't think they'd be worth that - maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice would be helpful, since I'm starting out and pretty much just woke up a week ago and said "Yes, time for an atari." I've been buying based on my fond memories ever since, and I get the impression that this isn't the smartest way to go about it.  :ponder:

Also, thanks to atari age crew - what little break there was in my madness for research, was done with this website.

850298[/snapback]

I'm curious... does anyone else have a problem with their CX78 joypads causing static to appear on screen whenever they hit the fire buttons? It may just be my 2800 disagreeing with them as I haven't heard this complaint from others. I really like the feel of them for most games, but the static is just annoying.

The most popular seem to be the Suncom Slik Stik (and variants), Competition Pro, or the Wico Command Control (known commonly as the "bat").  Myself, I love the Epyx 500XJ.  Contoured to fit the hand, durable microswitches, it has a great feel to it.  The microswitches make it a little noisy, but it's extremely responsive and has just enough play in the stick to give good feedback and precision control during gameplay.

I've tried others, mind you.  The good ol' CX40 is the classic of course, but a bit lacking in the ergonomics department.  The Slik Stik is solid, but feels and plays like a brick; the stick has almost no play whatsoever.  Some people like that about it though.  The Wico sticks are nice for the arcade feel, but a bit too big and clunky for handheld use; it's really meant for a tabletop.

850331[/snapback]

I've got a Competition Pro and a Wico 'bat' controller as well. I really love the bat but I didn't think too much of the Competition Pro (it's not as built nearly as tough as it looks and It doesn't seem to track as reliably in 8 directions as the bat does).

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer playing the consoles with the original sticks, the ones meant to be played with the system, so yeah nothing but a CX40 for me. It's what I get the most enjoyment out of playing the 2600.

Other people enjoy using more updated sticks with auto fire and crazy shit like that, whatever you get the most enjoyment in playing use that one :)

Sega Master system/Genesis sticks work fine. Use the 'B' button. I use a sega arcade stick with mine. I like that arcade feel when playing I guess. If I had any working original sticks, I might use them :ponder:

Every time I buy some they're broken, and I'm to lazy to buy replacement parts :x

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer playing the consoles with the original sticks, the ones meant to be played with the system, so yeah nothing but a CX40 for me. It's what I get the most enjoyment out of playing the 2600.

850497[/snapback]

I try and do the same thing, although I play my Colecovision with Atari or Sega controllers. Those CV controllers are thumb busters!

Hey thanks for all the opinions. Looks like I'm going to have to make a decision soon since one of the controllers has decided it doesn't like south and won't move downards at all. :/

I took it apart and had a little look see and a clean up, but it all seems to be connected fine. I'm just gunna have to make up my mind and buy another controller or two. That wico is definately looking the goods.