IGNORED

2600 Mods

keilbaca

I can mod the following models:

Heavy Sixer

Light sixer (Best picture, for some reason this produces the best)

4 switch (any verison, including vader)

Atari 2600 Jr (Quality isn't as good though, I don't recommend this. Its made differently, thus causing the decrease in quality.)

Will NOT (well haven't attempted) the Sears Video Arcade II, or anything else I haven't listed. I'll look this up so I can do this mod to any other model. I'll edit this when I get more info, but as of now, will only mod the listed above models.

A/V mod: $25 because of shipping now.

They look good on a lot of TV's, but I have had one report in which the screen just doesn't sync up. Its the tv itself, and not my mod, as I have tested and fully played a game on the atari, sent to him, had this problem. If this happens, I have no problems refunding your money and instructions on how to take out the mod, or you can ship it and I can take it out, but its really easy to take out.

Note, if you do play this through a VCR, for some reason, the colors are brighter than normal. Its best not to play through a VCR. It works fine on all of my tv's, and looks especially good on a commodore monitor.

A complete makeover (A/V mod, LED's installed, battery mod): $50 because that's gonna take a lot of time to do per atari. Attached is how the atari would look, except the battery compartment will be inside of the atari, and is accessed by unscrewing the case.

Green LED: Power. Both red LED's: difficulty switch LED's, left for left player, right for right player. when the difficulty switch is on expert, the appropriate LED lights up.

I have a picture posted below of how good of a job that I do (that's on a 4 switch). And please post feedbacks of your mod, I want to hear how you like it.

Update: Everything is good to go, just waiting for a good way to ship the stuff. Once I get a set way to ship the atari's, I'll start this up again.

Update: Spirantho can do mods to the following systems in the UK (And I'm asking info about the other systems so I can mod these for us U.S. folks ;)

Incidentally, I can do the same thing. I can mod:

Heavy 6ers

Light 6ers

4 switchers (woody or Vader)

Junior

Intellivision

Colecovision

ZX81

Spectrum

and actually pretty much anything with a standard RF modulator.

I can do the above in PAL and NTSC flavours but make sure your TV supports NTSC signals if you want me to mod an NTSC one or it's pointless!

Plus, as I'm in the UK, I'm not really in competition with keilbaca! Unfortunately, however, given it costs me 4 quid or so for the phono cables _alone_ (I use a premade cable so the connection is really solid), and postage is about £8 or so, I can't offer to do it for the prices he says! However, I am in Europe, so postage is still cheaper than sending it to the States.

post-4191-1121485726_thumb.jpg

Edited by keilbaca

How about a 7800 mod? I really really want mine modded. :)

856368[/snapback]

I had my 7800 modded by Steve over at:

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/

He did a great job on a S-video/Composite mod.

keilbaca, you're offer sounds like a sweet deal but I already have a composite 2600 and 7800. Hope some people take you up on the offer.

keilbaca, you're offer sounds like a sweet deal but I already have a composite 2600 and 7800.  Hope some people take you up on the offer.

856510[/snapback]

Thanks, I figured that I'd offer it being I see constant posts about people wanting the a/v mod. I already have a few offers, I have plenty of resistors to go around. As you can see from up top, I do a top notch job!

EDIT: Under the tape, it is soldered very securely. the tape is there so nothing hits the ground, that'll short out the signal.

EDIT #2: It would be appreciated if you posted how you guys like your mod. The more feedback, the better!

Edited by keilbaca

I had my 7800 modded by Steve over at:

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/

He did a great job on a S-video/Composite mod.

keilbaca, you're offer sounds like a sweet deal but I already have a composite 2600 and 7800.  Hope some people take you up on the offer.

856510[/snapback]

How much did that run you?

856512[/snapback]

Not too bad, it worked out to about $30 for his time because you need a $40 part from these guys to do the full s-video/composite mod:

http://www.8bitdomain.com/about7800.php

Dude.

Hate to piss on your parades here, but doing a FULL S VIDEO mod costs about $8.50 in parts if you build the chroma and luma drivers yourself.

The end results(boards not shown)

Http://www.templeofinsanity.com/images/tech/2600.JPG

carry on...

857502[/snapback]

Then don't.

First off. I don't have S-Video. 2nd off. Other people don't, and 3rd off, the color quality is not noticible. This isn't today's graphics with pixel shading. We're talking one pixel color. Hardly any shading.

the shipping is included in the price.

Its for those who don't want to shell out $60 for a Cybertech mod and you still have to install it, or $80 for them to install it.

If you REALLY wanted to, you could look up the values of the resistors in the picture, buy them yourself and do the mod yourself. Or, everyone knows of Ben Heckendorn and his audio/video mod. They can just do his. Or even cheaper, the Cracknel mod. The fact of the matter is, that people just can't do it, but they want the mod. Thats why I am offering this. Don't like it? Fine, get the Cybertech mod. And yes, the Cybertech mod is better quality. I am not about to rip off someone's design to sell. My mod is something that I have created, tested resistors, made sure that all the colors are right. I went through several hours of changing resistors to get the colors JUST right. And yes, it won't work on a PSOne screen. The only mod in existance to do that is Ben Heck's 2.0 mod. But, once again, I aint going to sell someone else's work.

If you want, you can post those boards, so I can do that mod too. Help out those who want this mod, that way if they want to do the s-video mod themselves, they can too.

Edited by keilbaca

Well I finally got a good pic, but I cannot seem to take a picture without the ripples. If you look among the latest HSC screenshots done by me, it was done on this A/V mod as well, for comparison. Here's a quick shot of River Raid.

post-4191-1116871369_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my modded Atari from Kielbaca today, and the picture looks GREAT. On my Commodore monitor it's as clear as a bell, better than I've gotten out of any Atari I own on any TV, even using the cable converter for RF to the back of your TV. Wow - I'm going to send him another one to mod!

Just got my modded Atari from Kielbaca today, and the picture looks GREAT.  On my Commodore monitor it's as clear as a bell, better than I've gotten out of any Atari I own on any TV, even using the cable converter for RF to the back of your TV.  Wow - I'm going to send him another one to mod!

866720[/snapback]

Same as above but on a t.v. :lust: :lust: :love: :lust: :lust:

Gotta bug him about learning a 7800 enough to do the mod.

*nod nod*

[edit for spelling]

Edited by FireTiger

Dude.

Hate to piss on your parades here, but doing a FULL S VIDEO mod costs about $8.50 in parts if you build the chroma and luma drivers yourself.

Hate to piss back here Kamino, but Keilbaca offering to do that for $20 shipped is not only a good price, it's Charity work. Lots of folks don't have tools or mechanical talent or the inclination to spend the time doing it. I'll probably have him mod one for me at some point and I'll almost feel guilty only giving him $20.

Keilbaca, I think it's really cool of you to offer this to the community at such a low price (I think I'd charge a bit more).

Edited by Blackjack

Incidentally, I can do the same thing. I can mod:

Heavy 6ers

Light 6ers

4 switchers (woody or Vader)

Junior

Intellivision

Colecovision

ZX81

Spectrum

and actually pretty much anything with a standard RF modulator.

I can do the above in PAL and NTSC flavours but make sure your TV supports NTSC signals if you want me to mod an NTSC one or it's pointless!

Plus, as I'm in the UK, I'm not really in competition with keilbaca! Unfortunately, however, given it costs me 4 quid or so for the phono cables _alone_ (I use a premade cable so the connection is really solid), and postage is about £8 or so, I can't offer to do it for the prices he says! However, I am in Europe, so postage is still cheaper than sending it to the States.

Just wanted to point that out. :)

That's awesome, we got worldwide service now :)

Oh a little update, I'll be home from June 29th to July 23rd. So, if you send any systems around that time, I won't be able to do it, as all my tools will be here.

Heh, haven't been home in over a year, I need this break.

Edited by keilbaca

• 2 weeks later...

Just a price breakdown:

$10 for a A/V cable, 12' long with gold tips.

$2 for resistors.

$5 for priority shipping.

So as you can see, I'm not really making money on this.

I am no longer accepting atari's, as any shipped now will NOT be able to get done until I come back from leave. Sorry for the inconvience.

Here's a nice little edit: My testing for the LED's are just about done, and very soon i will be able to offer this service as well. A green Power LED and 2 Red LED's for 4 switch and vader atari's. The Red LED's are for the difficulty switches, being they're kinda hidden. When the light is on, say the left one is on. That means, the left player is on expert, same with the right player. I got a pic of it in the My Room link, the project atari, and I can install the battery hookup as well for a 9 volt, it lasts 4 hrs on one battery. Eventually, I will be able to do a complete mod for atari's, including the LED installments, turn the channel 2/3 switch into a ac/dc switch, and on the inside have a bettery compartment to hold 8 AA's that will make it last a long time, and of course the audio/video mod.

Edited by keilbaca

• 2 weeks later...
Incidentally, that's just the US base of operations. If anyone wants one done in the Europe then I can still do them (albeit not at that price! $5 priority shipping? I wish! :) )

878226[/snapback]

Eh, looks like shipping went up, so if you see a small increase in price, its because of shipping. the last atari costed me 10 instead of 5.

EDIT: I just thought of something, the prices will most likely go like this.

A/V mod: $25 because of shipping now.

A complete makeover (A/V mod, LED's installed, battery mod): $50 because that's gonna take a lot of time to do per atari.

Edited by keilbaca