IGNORED

PS3 in 2006 info

And in any case, of all the head-to-head console matchups over the last 25 years, how many have been won by the technologically superior machine?

857583[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking tonight. I mean, the PS2 is currently destroying the other systems overall, but it probably has the worst specs in the current generation. And really, can you say that you think RE4 looked bad because it wasn't on the Xbox or that God of War sucks because it is on the PS2. Alternatively, can you say that the only thing that makes the xbox a great system are the specs? If Xbox didn't have great games and awesome online support (which could have been offered by any of the current systems) do you really think its specs would matter? I have been praising all the next generation systems because just like in all previous generations I am excited about everything that is coming out (and because try as I might, I have no ability to resist slick advertising).

857794[/snapback]

Exactly. Plus there was a point when Xbox games really did blow away PS2 games but the difference isn't so much these days. I couldn't tell much of a difference between Mignight Club 3 Dub Edition on both systems. Sega Master was techically superior to the NES and the SMS got it's clock cleaned everywhere in the world except Europe. Gameboy whooped up on every competitor until the PSP. Jurory is still out on that one. Specs don't matter as much as the games and of course the hype.

Source

GamesIndustry.biz: One question on the lips of many people at the moment: how much of what we saw in the PlayStation 3 demos was actually running in real-time?

Phil Harrison: Everything in the demos was real-time.

And what about the game footage clips?

Not all of that - in fact, none of it was real-time because it was all running off video. If you make a presentation to two and a half thousand people, you're going to put some of it on video just to be on the safe side.

I've been asked this question a lot. The way we put those videos together, everything was done to specification. Everything was done to PS3 spec. Virtually everything used in-game assets; some things were rendered.

How representative of what we're actually going to be seeing in PS3 games were those videos?

I think very. I think depending on the game, different games took a different approach to their way of expressing what the games are like - but clearly, something like Motor Storm uses more cinematic, replay-like cameras than you would ever enjoy in-game. So that makes a big difference... But everything is done to spec.

"Everything is done to spec"?

:ponder:

the Xbox 360's three 3.2gigahertz G5 processors.

LOL. I did not know that. Microsoft is using mac processors?! Doesn't anyone else find that funny?!

:lolblue:

No, but seriously. I really like the look of all three of these up and comings. I think they're putting a lot of effort into making these machines as beautiful as the games you play on them.

I'm also glad for the backwards compatability, but Revolution really takes that to a whole new level, I haven't heard anything about the backwards compatability being limited to just first party games, so if it's true that anything that says "licensed to Nintendo" is going to be on that backwards compatability roster plus the GC catalog, than even having the entire PS1, PS2, and PSP libraries isn't gonna be able to hold up. And even if it is just 1st party games for Revolution's back catalog, then that's still good IMO. X-Box 360 is really gonna suffer if they don't support their back catalog. Does anybody know yet.

And lastly, which system so far is shaping up to be the most powerful? Least powerful? I've only got a few of the specs so far.

To the PS3 comparo to the CD-i a couple pages back.... hmmm, I can sorta see that. Wave that "less is more", "dynamic in it's simplicity" wand over it and you've got a PS3! Now I'm embarrassed. I have one of those, and I didn't make the connection.

Speaking of bad controller designs....speak of the devil. Look at that CD-i picture again, and then you'll feel better about the PS3's.

To the PS3 comparo to a George Forman Grill a couple of pages back.....

Niiiiiice! :lol: