IGNORED

Space Harrier XE Updated (Stage 3)

stage 3 movie (10MB)

863422[/snapback]

Whoa. Just.. whoa! The parallaxing horizon and arcade voice samples are very nice touches!

It's a shame the music will never be as good as the C-64's release, but you're doing a commendable job!

863497[/snapback]

Didn't think I'd be able get those features in and running at a reasonable speed, so I was pretty pleased too :)

it's not final on the in-game music yet - there's definitely room for some improvement. I will be having a go at hacking in a decent music player, rather than my own, which was just quickly lashed together, and bolted on top of the simple sound effects player. Although maybe there is room for a little polish, something as interesting as emkay's efforts(Hardsynth)

could be possible in-game. It's debateable how it might work out though - because I feel the sound effects are such an integral part of the game, the tune would have to be cut-back to allow the atari to play them both at the same time.

could be possible in-game. It's debateable how it might work out though - because I feel the sound effects are such an integral part of the game, the tune would have to be cut-back to allow the atari to play them both at the same time.

On Computers with less than 4 channels it was often done by switching one channel off from the music-player temporarily, to play the FX.

I'm not shure if we really need better music inside this game.

Great & pretty fast "3D" graphics, marvellous gameplay, clean digi-voices, and 3 channel music (good tuned in) plus an fx channel (during gameplay)...

How many games on the A8 have a real 3 voice music and a separated FX channel in use already?

I hope no one will get me wrong here, but one feature of those in almost every other game of the A8, and there would be more people than some "Atarians" remembering "that great machine".

This game smashes the whole database of the available A8 games multiple times, technically.

:D

I managed to play the avi file on my Windows Media Player by typing:

run: regsvr32 /u divxdec.ax

Now I can see it (though it needs a connection to the www ?)

------

Pretty impressive Sheddy ;)

Do you use the flickering principle to gain more colors?

Edited by analmux

:D

I managed to play the avi file on my Windows Media Player by typing:

run: regsvr32 /u divxdec.ax

Now I can see it (though it needs a connection to the www ?)

------

Pretty impressive Sheddy ;)

Do you use the flickering principle to gain more colors?

863854[/snapback]

Hmm, xvid seems a little awkward sometimes :( - this is the version of codec I'm using, and it just worked with mediaplayer

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

yes, still using flicker principle, Mux. I rather not use it, because of the strain on the eye - but for this type of game it seems useful: freedom of placement of colour; good resolution; spreads cpu load of colour processing over more than 1 frame

Edited by Sheddy

Sheddy,

Next time it would be great to have a quicktime file as it's a lot more cross-platform compatible.

Thank you,

AB.

863838[/snapback]

sorry Andy, the emu makes an .avi, and the freebie PC software I'm using (VirtualDub) doesn't seem capable of converting it into a .mov - I'll have to look into it some more :)

Edited by Sheddy

Sheddy,

Next time it would be great to have a quicktime file as it's a lot more cross-platform compatible.

Thank you,

AB.

863838[/snapback]

sorry Andy, the emu makes an .avi, and the freebie PC software I'm using (VirtualDub) doesn't seem capable of converting it into a .mov - I'll have to look into it some more :)

863994[/snapback]

In my experience, AVIs are more easily moved across platforms than MOVs, although to be fair, Apple's Quicktime for Windows is a lot less annoying than it used to be. AVI is the most popular choice for the freebie creation programs, though. I don't know that I've seen any free Quicktime MOV creators, although mplayer/mencoder may be capable. Alternatively, VirtualDubMod can create MPEG-2 files compatible with any software DVD player, including mplayer and a few other freebies.

Personally, I'd say stick with AVI and use codecs that everybody will either likely have or can easily get. DivX is widely popular, but there are certainly worse options than XviD.

incredible work... still not fave of interlaced games but this is unbelievable fast... does the atari have a 3d chip? ;)

music is ok, samples are chrystal clear... sound fx are good... a real masterpiece... (hmmm.... seems that Boinxx need a little face lift... ;))

Well done Sheddy!

thankyou all :)

and thanks to big cartridges to make it all possible :D

For any other Mac/Linux users interested, but having problems with .avi/xvid, I'll have a go at an Mpeg a bit later, as Skunkworkz suggests.

Edited by Sheddy

thankyou all  :) 

and thanks to big cartridges to make it all possible  :D

For any other Mac/Linux users interested, I'll try and make an Mpeg abit later, like Skunkworkz suggests.

864676[/snapback]

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Cross-platform media player - shows the .avi just fine.

BTW - excellent work Sheddy!!

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Cross-platform media player - shows the .avi just fine.

Works perfect in Panther (10.3.9).

Thank you deathtrappomegranate !

Sheddy, what you did is incredible.

To quote Richard Taylor (Tron): "Bang ! That things looks just like it !!!"

You did it man !

That's a kind of stimulation I need for Galaxy Force XE...

AB.

Glad that works for you - makes life easier for me not messing with different formats. I'll put the player links up on the site - thanks guys.

Galaxy Force XE - even a pale imitation of the original will be an incredible miracle - have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Sheddy,

Thank you,

AB.

863838[/snapback]

Hmm.... I use Quicktime/Panther 10.3.9 and it plays just fine, though I did get the latest version of QT from Apple about a week ago. Maybe the real issue is that Apple users need keep their software up to date.