IGNORED

Easter Egg in Berzerk?

X5-655

Well, since iv'e been playing Berzerk for a very long time now, I noticed something. Iv'e even searched Google for it, but found nothing...

On Berzerk, when you destory a robot, when it pops off the screen, a smile face flashes where the robot was...

post-6958-1116896218_thumb.jpg

On Berzerk, when you destory a robot, when it pops off the screen, a smile face flashes where the robot was...

860563[/snapback]

That's probably not an Easter Egg so much as a conservation of graphics code. The smiley face you see is actually the inverse of the "Evil Otto" graphic. It's meant to look like debris from an exploding robot, but of course the source of the graphic is a little too obvious.

Edited by skunkworx

860563[/snapback]

That's probably not an Easter Egg so much as a conservation of graphics code. The smiley face you see is actually the inverse of the "Evil Otto" graphic. It's meant to look like debris from an exploding robot, but of course the source of the graphic is a little too obvious.

860565[/snapback]

Is Evil Otto even in the 2600 version? I have played for hours straight, and don't see him anywhere...

860563[/snapback]

860565[/snapback]

Is Evil Otto even in the 2600 version? I have played for hours straight, and don't see him anywhere...

860569[/snapback]

Oh Hell Yeah :) You gotta play on game variation 3 or 6 or 9, He's not on game 1, that is a version for children :)

Is Evil Otto even in the 2600 version?  I have played for hours straight, and don't see him anywhere...

860569[/snapback]

Yes, but not in game variation #1, which means you'll never see him if you don't fiddle with the game select switch. For every three game variations, Evil Otto doesn't appear at all in the first, he appears and can be shot in the second, and he appears and is invincible in the third.

Oh O Your a music stealer...

Look at the icon 12th in...

:lolblue:  :lolblue:

And yes it is off topic  :P

860605[/snapback]

I am completely lost :ponder: Whazzit mean?

Support Fonz

:thumbsup:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69490

860608[/snapback]

he means the limewire icon in my dock..

i dont use it to steal music (i got all my bought CD's to prove it..) that limewire is there when I just want to get *ahem* other stuff ;)

The explosion graphic is not reused or an easter egg. Just a cute touch someone thought of.

You can see where I changed it in the following two hacks:

Quickdraw XXX:

post-3832-1116903937_thumb.jpg

Berzerk Neo:

post-3832-1116903957_thumb.jpg

Also, If you want Evil Otto to come out on the default game 1, Just give Berzerk Neo a try.

Fire Fast!! Cause Otto's on your A**!!!(Thanks Atari Troll )

BerzerkFinal50.gif

z26p0000.gif

z26p0002.gif

DOWNLOAD BERZERK NEO BIN:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...e=post&id=34450

Is Evil Otto even in the 2600 version?  I have played for hours straight, and don't see him anywhere...

860569[/snapback]

Yes, but not in game variation #1, which means you'll never see him if you don't fiddle with the game select switch. For every three game variations, Evil Otto doesn't appear at all in the first, he appears and can be shot in the second, and he appears and is invincible in the third.

860575[/snapback]

Man... playing Berzerk without an invincible Evil Otto is right up there with people play 2600 Asteroids without the UFO's.

USE YOUR SELECT BUTTON :D

860569[/snapback]

860575[/snapback]

Man... playing Berzerk without an invincible Evil Otto is right up there with people play 2600 Asteroids without the UFO's.

USE YOUR SELECT BUTTON :D

860665[/snapback]

Or 2600 Ms. Pac-man with one ghost.

You know somebody should me a Frenzy homebrew, I prefer that over Berzerk. You get a nasty suprise if you manage to shoot Otto.

Long ago I heard the rumour of an easter egg that if found gave you a maze with no walls and two evil Otto's bouncing around inside of it but it was never confirmed, as was the rumour of a maze with only one door which all the robots crowded around trying to prevent your man from escaping. Anyone else heard of this?

Another strange thing I've found with Berserk and Stella is the ability to 'lose' the gun/whatever the guy is firing with. I'm thinking it's a bug in the event handling in Stella, and I'll have to fix it for the next release.

Try shooting and pressing both 'Up' and 'Down' at the same time. Sometimes, the Berzerker will lose his gun, and you have to grab it again before you can shoot. Is this an Easter egg, or just a bug in event handling (since under normal conditions, one should never be able to select opposite directions at the same time)?

i dont use it to steal music (i got all my bought CD's to prove it..)  that limewire is there when I just want to get *ahem* other stuff ;)

860609[/snapback]

Doesn't OSX readily spport screenshots of just the current window?

It's little stuff like that that make me hesitate before taking the plunge from PC-land.

i dont use it to steal music (i got all my bought CD's to prove it..)   that limewire is there when I just want to get *ahem* other stuff ;)

860609[/snapback]

It's little stuff like that that make me hesitate before taking the plunge from PC-land.

860780[/snapback]

Even if OSX doesn't, I'm sure StellaOSX does. Try the F12 key, or whatever 'Snapshot' has been remapped to.

Try shooting and pressing both 'Up' and 'Down' at the same time.  Sometimes, the Berzerker will lose his gun, and you have to grab it again before you can shoot.  Is this an Easter egg, or just a bug in event handling (since under normal conditions, one should never be able to select opposite directions at the same time)?

860764[/snapback]

That's a bug in Berzerk. The bullet will move until it collides with something. And the game will remember the last direction before the shot was fired, and move the bullet one pixel in that direction in every frame. So if opposite directions are selected when the shot is fired, the game will move the bullet one pixel up and one pixel down in the same frame, and therefore not generate any movement at all. Only when the player or a robot runs into the bullet the game will sense a collition and reset the gun to be fired again. The same thing happens when you press left and right at the same time too.

Other games where pressing opposite directions can cause strange effects are Combat, where you can speed up your tank that way, and Boing, where you can accidently hop outside of the playing field.

So it would be good to prevent these conditions in the emulator. But you might want to allow them as an option for certain games. I think Bumper Bash needs left and right at the same time, so that you can use both paddles.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Another strange thing I've found with Berserk and Stella is the ability to 'lose' the gun/whatever the guy is firing with.  I'm thinking it's a bug in the event handling in Stella, and I'll have to fix it for the next release.

Try shooting and pressing both 'Up' and 'Down' at the same time.  Sometimes, the Berzerker will lose his gun, and you have to grab it again before you can shoot.  Is this an Easter egg, or just a bug in event handling (since under normal conditions, one should never be able to select opposite directions at the same time)?

860764[/snapback]

Not an easter egg. Just a glitch from how the program handles the missile direction (and it functions the same way on actual hardware). To save space, the program checks for both up and down in the same instance...since both being true would be an impossibility using a joystick. I gather that this value is used as an index to gather movement deltas from tables. Up's index value (or offset) would be 1, down's index would be 2...both would be 3. No value exists at that offset, so the missile doesn't move.

Debro's disassembly can be seen here:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...12/zip00006.zip

860764[/snapback]

So it would be good to prevent these conditions in the emulator. But you might want to allow them as an option for certain games. I think Bumper Bash needs left and right at the same time, so that you can use both paddles.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

860843[/snapback]

So I guess the real problem is Stella, because like Nukey Shay said, selecting both directions at the same time is impossible on a real joystick? Maybe I'll leave the ability there to do that, but only if it's been enabled. There's just something cool about an emulator being able to do these 'quirks', just like the "frying" patch someone released a while back.

As to the other game you mentioned (Bumper Bash), does it actually use paddles or joysticks? Because the event handler in Stella differentiates between joystick events and paddle events. So I can modify the joystick stuff and it will never affect the paddle games ...

By "impossible", I meant that an Atari joystick just doesn't move that way (therefore, that probability just wasn't put into the program tables). The program under emulation functions just as the cart would (you could verify this by using a Starplex button controller to move both directions). So it's not a problem with Stella...it's doing what an actual 2600 would do.

i dont use it to steal music (i got all my bought CD's to prove it..)   that limewire is there when I just want to get *ahem* other stuff ;)

860609[/snapback]

860780[/snapback]

Yes, it does. If the program does not support it itself, then there is the Grab utility which allows screenshots of the whole screen, a single window, or any rectangle of the screen you wish to grab.