IGNORED

Easter Egg in Berzerk?

X5-655

As to the other game you mentioned (Bumper Bash), does it actually use paddles or joysticks?  Because the event handler in Stella differentiates between joystick events and paddle events.  So I can modify the joystick stuff and it will never affect the paddle games ...

860854[/snapback]

Officially Bumper Bash is a paddle game. But it only uses the buttons. It does use both buttons at the same time though, which are the same as the left and right signals on the joystick. Therefore it might be easier to emulate Bumper Bash as a joystick game with all combinations of directions allowed. At least for the paddle simulation through the PC keyboard it might be better.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Doesn't OSX readily spport screenshots of just the current window?

It's little stuff like that that make me hesitate before taking the plunge from PC-land.

860780[/snapback]

Here's an example of using Grab to capture the window that KrokCom is running in.

:idea: Since "stuff like that" doesn't exist, perhaps it's time to take the plunge. We use Windows XP were I work and I'm glad I don't have to deal with the issues at home that we've dealt with at work(such as viruses and DLL hell)

post-3056-1116977268_thumb.png

There have been several times when I am playing Berzerk when the screen will totally screw up between rounds and come back lookin all sortsa funky :? the mazes will be all mixed up and sometimes two colours, there are even times when two mazes appear with my humanoid in one and the robots in the other with no way out!

Fonzie won't make it without your help! :thumbsup:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69490

Edited by sandmountainslim

It's little stuff like that that make me hesitate before taking the plunge from PC-land.

860780[/snapback]

Here's an example of using Grab to capture the window that KrokCom is running in.

:idea: Since "stuff like that" doesn't exist, perhaps it's time to take the plunge. We use Windows XP were I work and I'm glad I don't have to deal with the issues at home that we've dealt with at work(such as viruses and DLL hell)

861186[/snapback]

Is Grab built into MacOSX or is it a seperate app?

Anyway, especially since I've started using Firefox which A. is available on Mac and B. has somewhat changed my headspace about grouping tasks vs. seperate things on the taskbar, I'm a little more likely to change but I've had some questions:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=141249...ed&cid=11836750

is a an ugly argument I got into about the philosophy behind the dock, and

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=144161&cid=12082042

is just my hesitation in general...one thing I forgot is having to remember what the equivalent of ctrl-arrow was on Mac, was it ctrl or open apple or whatever...

860780[/snapback]

861186[/snapback]

Anyway, especially since I've started using Firefox which A. is available on Mac and B. has somewhat changed my headspace about grouping tasks vs. seperate things on the taskbar, I'm a little more likely to change but I've had some questions:

is just my hesitation in general...one thing I forgot is having to remember what the equivalent of ctrl-arrow was on Mac, was it ctrl or open apple or whatever...

861508[/snapback]

yes, Grab is built into OS X... as for the dock, you can easily tell what applications are open, and what are not... When you open an application thats in the dock, it puts a nice little black arrow under it.. If you open an application that's not in the dock, it places it to the right of the dock, with that black arrow, and if you close the application, the icon just shrinks and goes away, putting your dock the way it was before...

Also, most of those command shortcuts work now, like they did on a PC... Alt+Tab works, the same as it does in Windows, and things like copy and paste work the same also..

Copy = Command+C

Cut = Command+X

Paste= Command + V

most of all those commands exist.. remember, it's a different computer platform, so not all the commands are the same, like instead of Ctrl, it's the Command (Apple) key.. Also, even though the Stella Atari emulator works great under OS X, some of the commands conflict with OS X (atleast they do in the new Tiger). but those issues are not OS X's fault, thats cause the programmer of Stella has not corrected the issue yet.. for example, to take a screenshot in Stella, I can press F12, but on OS X Tiger, that causes the "Dashboard" to appear on the screen. So, the only way for me to use F12 in Stella, is if im in fullscreen, where the Dashboard will not appear (because it knows a fullscreen application is running, and will not get in the way)...

It's a seperate app that's included with the operating system. Your options are to grab the full screen, a window, an arbitrary section of the screen, or a time delayed full screen capture.

You don't have to use the doc that way. I took all the apps off it so that only running programs show up. I then added a few "pop-up" folders that contain shortcuts to launch programs. I'll take a screen grab of it tonight so you can see it.

861508[/snapback]

I program in Windows during the day and the different key combos threw me off at first. It becomes second nature after a while.

but those issues are not OS X's fault, thats cause the programmer of Stella has not corrected the issue yet..  for example, to take a screenshot in Stella, I can press F12, but on OS X Tiger, that causes the "Dashboard" to appear on the screen.  So, the only way for me to use F12 in Stella, is if im in fullscreen, where the Dashboard will not appear (because it knows a fullscreen application is running, and will not get in the way)...

:idea: You can remap every key in Stella. Press TAB while it is running.

but those issues are not OS X's fault, thats cause the programmer of Stella has not corrected the issue yet..  for example, to take a screenshot in Stella, I can press F12, but on OS X Tiger, that causes the "Dashboard" to appear on the screen.  So, the only way for me to use F12 in Stella, is if im in fullscreen, where the Dashboard will not appear (because it knows a fullscreen application is running, and will not get in the way)...

:idea: You can remap every key in Stella. Press TAB while it is running.

861609[/snapback]

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. I've never used a Mac before, so I had no idea that the function keys were reserved for the OS. That doesn't happen in Linux or Windows, so that's why I used F9-F12 for Stella.

Maybe for the next release we can work around this somehow ...

Steve

It was always apparent to me that the programmer was just saving memory by re-using a graphic.

860900[/snapback]

I thought neotokeo2001 said above that it wasn't reused?

861619[/snapback]

Besides the fact that inverting a graphic would be difficult to fit into the kernel plus it would require enough extra code that the ROM space saved would be negligible. Another graphic would only be like 8 bytes or so.

It's a seperate app that's included with the operating system. Your options are to grab the full screen, a window, an arbitrary section of the screen, or a time delayed full screen capture.

You don't have to use the doc that way. I took all the apps off it so that only running programs show up. I then added a few "pop-up" folders that contain shortcuts to launch programs. I'll take a screen grab of it tonight so you can see it.

861508[/snapback]

I program in Windows during the day and the different key combos threw me off at first. It becomes second nature after a while.

861555[/snapback]

i took the liberty of taking a screenshot of the submenu from the folders on a dock, for you.. though, you'll have to show without icons on the dock, cause i got all my icons on the dock, and don't want to forget which ones i have there...

post-6958-1117041716_thumb.png

Here's my dock in action. As you can see, only actively running programs show up to the left of the divider line. To the right are 4 pop-up folders containing shortcuts for my most frequently used programs: Applications, Internet, Flextronics and Fun.

post-3056-1117063163_thumb.png

Here's my dock in action.  As you can see, only actively running programs show up to the left of the divider line.  To the right are 4 pop-up folders containing shortcuts for my most frequently used programs: Applications, Internet, Flextronics and Fun.

861838[/snapback]

How do you do that? I got Panther and my dock has all sorts of crap cluttering it.

How do you do that?  I got Panther and my dock has all sorts of crap cluttering it.

861850[/snapback]

To remove the inactive programs, click & hold on the icon, then drag it up(off the dock) and let go of the mouse button.

For the pop-up folders, I just created 4 folders in a folder called "Dock Folders" and put application shortcuts in them. I then drug each folder to the right side of the dock. You can even drag&drop shortcuts on the popup folder in the dock, no need to track down the original when you want to add a shortcut to it.

I found the slick Atari joystick icon here for my "fun" folder. This article tells you how to change icons.

It was always apparent to me that the programmer was just saving memory by re-using a graphic.

860900[/snapback]

I thought neotokeo2001 said above that it wasn't reused?

861619[/snapback]

Well, it's obviously the same graphic, in reversed pixellation. Would the coder bother putting it in there twice?

Edited by Chris++

he means the limewire icon in my dock..

i dont use it to steal music (i got all my bought CD's to prove it..)  that limewire is there when I just want to get *ahem* other stuff ;)

860609[/snapback]

860780[/snapback]

Yes, it does let you capture just one window. I'm working on some 2600 code on an old iBook running OS X 10.39, and using Grab (the included screen grabber) to take periodic screen shots. Grab gives you the following options: selection, window, screen, timed screen.

It's a little annoying that it only saves as TIFF files, though, and that you can't ask for the window frame to be removed, but I suppose there's probably another screen grab utility out there; I'm just too lazy to look. =)

Another annoying thing is that there's no Z26 for OS X, so I have no way to count scanlines unless I take the file to my PC. =P Hmm, not that I think about it, I wonder if the Linux version would build on OS X as an X11 app...I'll have to try that. The Stella version for OS X is great, though - it just doesn't do that nice scanline counting trick that Z26 does (-n option). At least, I don't think it does. (Anyone?)

861508[/snapback]

I didn't notice mention of this in the Slashdot thread, but if you haven't heard, Command-Tab in OS X brings up a task list and lets you toggle through it, just like Ctrl-Tab on Windows. Of course, this is no good for switching between windows within the same application.

Another annoying thing is that there's no Z26 for OS X, so I have no way to count scanlines unless I take the file to my PC. =P Hmm, not that I think about it, I wonder if the Linux version would build on OS X as an X11 app...I'll have to try that. The Stella version for OS X is great, though - it just doesn't do that nice scanline counting trick that Z26 does (-n option). At least, I don't think it does. (Anyone?)

864135[/snapback]

It seems my other message didn't get through. I'm currently adding an integrated GUI debugger to Stella. When you press the ` (backquote) key, the emulation image moves to the upper-left corner of the screen, and the rest of the screen will be used for debugger widgets.

The integrated GUI has already been added to Stella. And the debugger code was already written for Stella 1.1. The only thing left to do is tie it all together, and get input from 2600 developers. It's the last major addition to Stella before the 2.0 release, due in a month or two.

Steve

It's a little annoying that it only saves as TIFF files, though, and that you can't ask for the window frame to be removed, but I suppose there's probably another screen grab utility out there; I'm just too lazy to look. =)

Stella supports saving snapshots to a PNG file. It's currently tied to F12, but if that's being used in OSX (Dashboard or something), you can remap it to another key.

Steve

It seems my other message didn't get through.  I'm currently adding an integrated GUI debugger to Stella.  When you press the ` (backquote) key, the emulation image moves to the upper-left corner of the screen, and the rest of the screen will be used for debugger widgets.

The integrated GUI has already been added to Stella.  And the debugger code was already written for Stella 1.1.  The only thing left to do is tie it all together, and get input from 2600 developers.  It's the last major addition to Stella before the 2.0 release, due in a month or two.

Steve

864160[/snapback]

Sweet!

It seems my other message didn't get through.  I'm currently adding an integrated GUI debugger to Stella.  When you press the ` (backquote) key, the emulation image moves to the upper-left corner of the screen, and the rest of the screen will be used for debugger widgets.

The integrated GUI has already been added to Stella.  And the debugger code was already written for Stella 1.1.  The only thing left to do is tie it all together, and get input from 2600 developers.  It's the last major addition to Stella before the 2.0 release, due in a month or two.

Steve

864160[/snapback]

Sweet!

864281[/snapback]

Just a few snapshots of the current alpha version of Stella to whet your appetite:

The debugger window (no widgets are there yet):

post-1512-1117558641_thumb.png

And the video options dialog box:

post-1512-1117558665_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Looks like you don't need to run Grab - noticed this in the Keyboard Shortcuts

Command-Shift-3

Take a picture of the screen

Command-Shift-4

Take a picture of the selection

Command-Shift-4, then press Control while selecting

Take a picture of the screen, place in Clipboard

Command-Shift-4, then Spacebar

Take a picture of the selected window

Funny this comes up now, I just played Berserk for the first time YEARS and I noticed the evil otto face when they explode.... i didnt think of it so much as an easter egg as i thought of it as a really creative subliminal way to invoke fear of otto.