IGNORED

PS1 Homebrew - Super Bub Contest

Alex H

Hello!

I wrote a game for the PlayStation1 a few years back and thought you lot might fancy a tinker. Binary here: superbub.zip

It's best played on the real hardware with the proper controllers etc., but that might be a little tricky for most of you (plus it's PAL only). It runs ok in ePSXe 1.6.0 which can be found here: NGEMU (popup alert!)

ePSXe requires plugins for the video/sound (also downloadable from NGEMU) - the ones that worked best for me are:

Video Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.16.

Audio Plugin: Eternal SPU 1.41 (crisper sounding than the others I tried).

Since it's PAL only you'll need a PAL BIOS. The file you need is SCPH7502.BIN. Naturally I can't provide this - you'll just have to Google for it. ;)

Configuring DirectX to force 100Hz full-screen refresh gives the smoothest display.

To execute the binary, select File>Run PS-EXE and then pick SuperBub.zip. It can take a while for the game to start up. (Don't forget to configure the plugins/BIOS/controller first.)

Controls:

Left/Right = move left/right. (Who'd have thunk it!)

Square = rotate left.

Circle = rotate right.

X = Fire.

Watch the demo and you'll get the gist of the game.

Have fun!

Edited by Alex H

I've got a dev PS1 here at home, so just burn the EXE file to a CD and pop it in the machine to play...? :)

867910[/snapback]

I think you need to rename it BOOT.EXE. I wrote it on the Net Yaroze system so always loaded it from the PC via serial - don't think I ever made a bootable disk. Would be interested to hear if you get it working that way.

Seems pretty cool...but I couldn't figure out how to play. :?

869963[/snapback]

The swirly fireball thingies destroy all connected bubbles of the same colour. Destroy 3 or more fireballs/bubbles and you'll chuck (or spill) random fireballs/bubbles into your opponent's playfield. The more you get rid of in one go, the more you throw at your opponent. After bubbles/fireballs have been removed, the remaining ones will float up to fill the empty spaces. This can be used to create chain reactions. In each stage of a chain reaction the bubbles become worth more in terms of how many are spilt onto the other player. If anything ends up below the black line (in the shaded area at the bottom) in your playfield, you lose.

That's basically it. Similar game to Baku Baku and Super Puzzle Fighter.

Seems pretty cool...but I couldn't figure out how to play. :?

869963[/snapback]

The swirly fireball thingies destroy all connected bubbles of the same colour. Destroy 3 or more fireballs/bubbles and you'll chuck (or spill) random fireballs/bubbles into your opponent's playfield. The more you get rid of in one go, the more you throw at your opponent. After bubbles/fireballs have been removed, the remaining ones will float up to fill the empty spaces. This can be used to create chain reactions. In each stage of a chain reaction the bubbles become worth more in terms of how many are spilt onto the other player. If anything ends up below the black line (in the shaded area at the bottom) in your playfield, you lose.

That's basically it. Similar game to Baku Baku and Super Puzzle Fighter.

870579[/snapback]

That's what I thought, but it seemed like sometimes the swirly fireballs wouldn't destroy anything even though they hit the right color. :? Maybe I'm just colorblind. :D I'll give it another try; puzzle games are fun. Port to 2600...? :lol:

That's what I thought, but it seemed like sometimes the swirly fireballs wouldn't destroy anything even though they hit the right color. :?  Maybe I'm just colorblind. :D  I'll give it another try; puzzle games are fun.  Port to 2600...?  :lol:

870588[/snapback]

Must be connected horizontally of vertically - no diagonals.

That's what I thought, but it seemed like sometimes the swirly fireballs wouldn't destroy anything even though they hit the right color. :?  Maybe I'm just colorblind. :D  I'll give it another try; puzzle games are fun.  Port to 2600...?  :lol:

870588[/snapback]

Must be connected horizontally of vertically - no diagonals.

870595[/snapback]

I still don't get it :?

Sometimes when I drop a fireball it doesn't destroy balls of it's color, and sometimes it doesn't destroy all of the connected balls of it's color. What am I missing?

I still don't get it :?

Sometimes when I drop a fireball it doesn't destroy balls of it's color, and sometimes it doesn't destroy all of the connected balls of it's color.  What am I missing?

870665[/snapback]

Ok, well I've downloaded the binary and had a good play to check that it isn't corrupt or anything - it's fine, working as it should.

Fireballs don't destroy other fireballs. Could that be it?

The only other thing I can think of that it might possibly be is that you have downloaded a bad BIOS. Seems unlikely that it would screw up the game in this way, but maybe. (If you want to PM me your email address I'll send you the BIOS I'm using.)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Alex,

I am not sure if you're reading this forum these days but I would just like to say THANKS to you for this great game. I've had the old Official PlayStation Magazine demo of Super Bub since it came out, but it's great to be able to play it on an emulator these days. By the way, my mother used to be addicted to this game, and generally she doesn't usually play video games at all!

The basic game is as good as Bust-a-Move or any horrifically addictive game. I would love to see a new version with different modes and features. A "pause" option would be great for starters. :) Although I can't imagine you'd be interested in making PlayStation games nowadays. A stand-alone version of Super Bub might be a good idea. Maybe a Flash version?

Once again, THANKS. You have some fans out here mate. Take care. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all !!

My cd of super bub contest is broken, i search it for PS1, not emulated.

Can you post a file .iso of this demo game PLLSSSSSSSSSSS????

you can use dvd decripter to do it.

Really plsss do it im loving this game!

Cyu and thanks!

Just discovered this game today :)

Good game, a bit of tetris+bomblis, but original enough.

It's a psx EXE, you can run it on epsxe direct on zip, no need to extract. For CD, I don't know if a ISO is required, maybe burn the .exe on cd root is fine...

Ah nevermind, post no. 5 :

I think you need to rename it BOOT.EXE. I wrote it on the Net Yaroze system so always loaded it from the PC via serial - don't think I ever made a bootable disk. Would be interested to hear if you get it working that way.

I hope Alex is ok, somebody here have contacted him recently?

Edited by LS_Dracon

Hey alex H

No burning .exe on cd rom dont working for PS1. (i hav tried)

We need a .mds .mdf or .iso for burning it

and swap magik for boot it (i get it)

Please gamers i search a charitable soul who can give me a copy of this demo game (using dvd decrypter)

Really!

Somebody... Please!!

in upload post or direct transfert i dont care.

reply here or join me by email: Blizzz_zzz@hotmail.com

I will pay you 10$ for merit

Thanks

Hi there,

Just discovered this game today :)

Good game, a bit of tetris+bomblis, but original enough.

It's a psx EXE, you can run it on epsxe direct on zip, no need to extract. For CD, I don't know if a ISO is required, maybe burn the .exe on cd root is fine...

Ah nevermind, post no. 5 :

I hope Alex is ok, somebody here have contacted him recently?

As I understand it, you can't burn a Yaroze game or a game created with Bladelib and expect it to load on a PSX without a launcher program. You can go here and try Candu's BladeLib Launcher.

Hi.

I hav tried to burn it with the launcher (superbub.exe renamed target.exe + PSX.exe) isofiled with burn at once.

Not working..

So,

I get Swap magic plus coder v and in jacket we can see: can load programs from USB device

How? just copy it on usb key and connect it to PS2??? mmmh i dont think it work, i will trie too.

If you get more infos about swap magic app launcher pls say to me.

Does apps for PS must get the .elf extension??

omg too many questions, not enought solves... Alex Herbert what are you doing??

thanks to help