IGNORED

Vectrex Protector goes for silly money!

Alex H

Ah... my fault there then :P

(I wrote the Retro Gamer article)

Still, it deserved to be there as there are only 100 of them, they are in demand and they are very hard to come by (as I said, I believe only 4 have been resold).

Wow.  What did you sell these for originally?  Interesting to see a homebrew game fetching this much, since you could always choose to make another run of them.  :)

..Al

868805[/snapback]

Maybe a 2nd print in a different color or something to tell them apart. I'm sure if more were made, he'd have no trouble finding new owners.

Original selling price was 25 GBP (at the time about $40).

Despite the fact you can get the game (with YASI) for a bargain price, it's the fact there's a deluxe version available that gets the collectors salivating.

Glad I went in for one... and people have offered me very good money to sell (but I never will).

Thankfully, Mark from VectrexCarts.com has been making these for the average user (no overlay).  But, it's such an awesome game that really every Vectrex owner needs to have.  Obviously that hasn't done anything to hurt demand for the game.

868947[/snapback]

Well .. the limited edition features Alex's Spike Goes Down as a bonus game. The version that Mark sells has YASI on it as a bonus.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Ah... my fault there then  :P

(I wrote the Retro Gamer article)

Still, it deserved to be there as there are only 100 of them, they are in demand and they are very hard to come by (as I said, I believe only 4 have been resold).

868543[/snapback]

What about the other homebrews that saw a limited release? Like for example War Of The Robots? It too has only 100 copies made. See http://geovector.tripod.com/_sgg/m2_1.htm

What's the difference between this and Protector? Or is Protector really that good?

Raymond

Wow.  What did you sell these for originally?  Interesting to see a homebrew game fetching this much, since you could always choose to make another run of them.  :)

..Al

868805[/snapback]

As Mayhem said, 25.00GBP. At the time that was just under US$50 incl. worldwide shipping.

What about the other homebrews that saw a limited release? Like for example War Of The Robots? It too has only 100 copies made. See http://geovector.tripod.com/_sgg/m2_1.htm

What's the difference between this and Protector? Or is Protector really that good?

Raymond

871148[/snapback]

It's Defender, init? :P

The nice box and overlay help I guess.

Two words: Killer Ap.

Plenty of homebrews before it, but this was the first time I saw people going nuts over a Veccy homebrew. And the mad scramble to get a copy and the disappointment I found from plenty of people once they knew they'd missed out.

And yes, the box and overlay help ;)

871168[/snapback]

/NIT-PICKING_MODE_ON

Ok, i understand that, but 'holy grail' is an indicator of rarity, not interest. So that would make all the other homebrews (at least the ones released in limited quantity, like the aforementioned War Of The Robots) holy grails too...

/NIT-PICKING_MODE_OFF

871168[/snapback]

/NIT-PICKING_MODE_ON

Ok, i understand that, but 'holy grail' is an indicator of rarity, not interest. So that would make all the other homebrews (at least the ones released in limited quantity, like the aforementioned War Of The Robots) holy grails too...

/NIT-PICKING_MODE_OFF

871197[/snapback]

"Holy Grail" is an indicator of rarity, but it also suggests that something is being sought out vigorously. In this case, Protector is more valuable because it's not only rare, but because of it's high cosmetic appeal and replay value; Protector appeals both to the casual gamer as well as the hardcore collector. Now it's an issue of supply and demand. I think that this sort of thing should be considered when determining a rarity rating.

Say for instance, both of the NES cartridges Super Mario Bros 3 and Rampart had a limited release of 100 copies each. Both are good games, but because Super Mario Bros 3 appeals to more gamers, it will probably be the more highly sought after cartridge and in turn it is labeled a "Holy Grail".

:ponder: At least that is how I see it.

Btw "Holy Grail" has nothing to do with the article I wrote whatsoever for Retro Gamer. The word is never mentioned, and the article wasn't about "holy grails". It was about some of the most valuable and collectable retro games out there. Admitedly a lot of them were very hard to find, but I picked one title from each format I could think of to describe. And Protector happens to be the most collectable and desired (in general) release seen for the Vectrex. And the most valuable outside of any protos.

It was issue #13 (or #2.1 as it is currently notated). Thankfully being at the front of the binder it is housed in, it was easy to remove and scan for you :)

http://62.168.142.47/~mayhem/images/retro.zip

(warning: 1.5MB big - I tried to keep the file size down but it isn't easy without sacrificing quality and legibility)

It was issue #13 (or #2.1 as it is currently notated). Thankfully being at the front of the binder it is housed in, it was easy to remove and scan for you :)

http://62.168.142.47/~mayhem/images/retro.zip

(warning: 1.5MB big - I tried to keep the file size down but it isn't easy without sacrificing quality and legibility)

872264[/snapback]

Ta very much! Just bought the latest issue - not a bad mag at all. I think I might have to subscribe.

Plenty of homebrews before it, but this was the first time I saw people going nuts over a Veccy homebrew. And the mad scramble to get a copy and the disappointment I found from plenty of people once they knew they'd missed out.

And yes, the box and overlay help ;)

871168[/snapback]

Missed out? Nah! Those of us who passed on the limited edition got YASI and Protector together in one cart, and for less than fifteen dollars! I call that a bargain... the best I ever haaaaad...

JR

There WAS rather a large gap between the limited edition coming out (which was over 2 years ago now) and the combo 2-pack appearing ;)

How long Alex...? If I recall, about a year or so...

(and yes I did buy the combo, as I wanted YASI and it saves my limited edition Protector from wear of use!)

Raymond

I'm the author of WAR OF THE ROBOTS, and can sum it up like this...

PACKAGING

I originally released WOTR in plastic bags. I've since offered

a replacement box for those interested. PROTECTOR originally

came with foil-imprinted box packages.

OVERLAY

A very professional quality overlay is packed with the

original PROTECTOR release. No overlay came with WOTR.

HI-SCORE SAVE

The only Vectrex game with this feature is PROTECTOR.

In fairness, WOTR does not utilize a point-scoring system.

FREEWARE

I released a Freeware Edition of WOTR just about 6 months

after the original release of the game (a couple months after

selling out all of the WOTR carts including the Special Editions).

This download is still available from my site. There is no

freeware PROTECTOR download available, which means you

get yourself a cartridge, or you don't play!

GAME PLAY

I've been told many times that WOTR is too difficult (which

is what led to the freeware release that includes a cheat mode).

I also think that a clone of DEFENDER is something that a lot

of people are interested in. That said, they are very different

types of games, and it really depends on what you like.

Keep in mind that WOTR sold for a very fair $25.

PROTECTOR went for a very fair $40, considering the

included overlay and box.

My second Vectrex game ranks much higher for most people.

I've seen the top 3 Vectrex homebrews appear listed

like this-

PROTECTOR

GRAVITREX

I, CYBORG

or, like this-

GRAVITEX

PROTECTOR

I, CYBORG

I very much appreciate I, CYBORG's unofficial "3rd place status"

where I've seen this. I'm not saying that everyone ranks these

3 games as the top 3, but I have seen this type of ranking more

than once.

At this point, I would rate my 2 Vectrex games like this (out of 10)-

I, CYBORG-10

WOTR-8

Here's my top-5 list of Vectrex homebrews from other authors-

GRAVITREX (10)

PROTECTOR (10)

PATRIOTS REMIX (10)

REPULSE (9)

MOON LANDER (9)

By the way... I, CYBORG will never be released as freeware.

New Vectrex game from FURY scheduled for a year-end release!!!

No further details available at this time.

George