IGNORED

How about an Arcade Stick.

Cobra Kai

Can MAS Systems build a stick for the Jaguar you think?....maybe like a stick with C,B,A, Pause, Option...and then a splitter to allow the Jaguar pad to connect to it....much like the 5200 joysticks of it's day.

Or perhaps someone has already built a stick, I just don't know about it?

• Like 1

The GOAT Store used to build Arcade sticks for the Jag (minus the keypad) but discontinued them in late 2002 or early 2003. Can't remember at the moment.

They can be found on ebay every now and then by searching with "Jamma" in the criteria.

A couple people have modded MAS setups. Iirc, Jaysmith2000 has/had one connected to his single player Kiosk. It is doable- just takes a little research. Maybe one of the peeps who are lucky enough to own one of those babies will pop in here and provide info. :)

EDIT

Here's a link to the GOAT Store. Maybe you could contact GoatDan (who's also a member here) and inquire if he could build you a Jamma. He might not have the parts lying around anymore, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Edited by Saturn

I do have one of the MAS sticks. I know they produced at least 3, since I've ran across 2 others over the years. I'm certain there's more out there. They are a blast with games like D2K and Protector. :) The Goatstore Jamma and Jamma LX are awesome too. Last time I spoke with Dan though he wasn't making any more and had none left in stock.

are there any guides etc for how to make one of these arcade sticks? i wouldnt mind maybe having a go go at making one of these for myself

thanks

870307[/snapback]

I sent goatdan a PM requesting info for this thread, so hopefully he'll be able to provide documentation or a guide to building the Jammas. I wouldn't mind having one of them myself. :cool:

I think WalterJ had one with the blue color scheme- and it was the BOMB! :lust:

I do have one of the MAS sticks.  I know they produced at least 3, since I've ran across 2 others over the years.  I'm certain there's more out there.  They are a blast with games like D2K and Protector.  :)  The Goatstore Jamma and Jamma LX are awesome too.  Last time I spoke with Dan though he wasn't making any more and had none left in stock.

870230[/snapback]

So MAS might still make one on request....I've ordered from them in the past for some NEO GEO sticks...I'll just have to call them up when I've got some money and ask if they might make another Jag stick.

:idea: Why not just rewire one of the many third party arcade controllers put out for the Xbox?

870411[/snapback]

Or just open up the Jaguar controller, and solder whatever you want to whatever button? I did this with an SNES controller to PSX. Its simple, just drilled a 2nd hole into the psx controller, made the appropriate solder points, desoldered everything in the snes controller, and made the appropriate solder points. I plan on doing the same thing for an NES controller to Atari 7800, NES controller for Atari 5200, and various others.

I sent goatdan a PM requesting info for this thread, so hopefully he'll be able to provide documentation or a guide to building the Jammas. I wouldn't mind having one of them myself. 

I think WalterJ had one with the blue color scheme- and it was the BOMB! 

cool cant wait to hear something. I will have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the heads up :)

The quick version of this is that we stopped making the controllers because as much as I liked them, the official arcade parts were costing a ton. When the parts that you use to make the joystick cost about $50.00 for the standard and $60.00 for the LX, and you have to spend a few hours putting it together, and you're only selling them for $59.90 / $69.90, as you can tell it simply doesn't make sense to keep doing that...

That having been said, there is a small chance that we *may* be offering one last chance at our joysticks at some point in the future. The thing is, I personally want one, and I never got around to making myself one. In a few months when I've finished the workbench in my garage and have a little bit of time, I was thinking about making myself one. The only problem is that I would need controllers and I would need people to be willing to at least mostly pre-pay for them because of the absurdly high cost of parts.

What would interest in this be? The price would probably be around $70.00 again, but I would need controller "donations," or $85ish without. When I do this, I'll probably fire up the 2600 controller line up too. The 2600 controllers would be about $50.00 without 3DO controller donation (I need a specific type...) or $45.00 with, and I would probably just do the LX version (two buttons) of them all. If I open this up, prepayments would be something in the neighborhood of $50 for a Jaguar JAMMA LX and $40 for a 2600 JAMMA LX.

I know the prices are quite high at the moment, but I stuck them there because I would rather be able to knock them down than have them get higher now and maybe take some off the top. I would need probably 10 orders to make this a worthwhile project. So, if you're interested post here and I'll start looking into the parts again :)

I'm interested.

Put me down for at least one Jaguar Jamma (for now) and feel free to shoot me a total for prepayment. Also, if I can donate a/some controller(s) to bring down cost, I'll be happy to do that.

I hope this works. I've been hurtin' for one of these badboys for way too long! :thumbsup:

just thinking - the cases are made of wood yes? I would hate to buy one and then have it get Quarantined because of the wood. (im in Australia). have had some adds on tv lately with the Croc. hunter talking about this.

plus as always delivery would kill me.

is there any chance of seeing a guide to make one. for my personal use only, promise

Lee

Thanks for the heads up :)

The quick version of this is that we stopped making the controllers because as much as I liked them, the official arcade parts were costing a ton.  When the parts that you use to make the joystick cost about $50.00 for the standard and $60.00 for the LX, and you have to spend a few hours putting it together, and you're only selling them for $59.90 / $69.90, as you can tell it simply doesn't make sense to keep doing that...

That having been said, there is a small chance that we *may* be offering one last chance at our joysticks at some point in the future.  The thing is, I personally want one, and I never got around to making myself one.  In a few months when I've finished the workbench in my garage and have a little bit of time, I was thinking about making myself one.  The only problem is that I would need controllers and I would need people to be willing to at least mostly pre-pay for them because of the absurdly high cost of parts.

What would interest in this be?  The price would probably be around $70.00 again, but I would need controller "donations," or $85ish without.  When I do this, I'll probably fire up the 2600 controller line up too.  The 2600 controllers would be about $50.00 without 3DO controller donation (I need a specific type...) or $45.00 with, and I would probably just do the LX version (two buttons) of them all.  If I open this up, prepayments would be something in the neighborhood of $50 for a Jaguar JAMMA LX and $40 for a 2600 JAMMA LX.

I know the prices are quite high at the moment, but I stuck them there because I would rather be able to knock them down than have them get higher now and maybe take some off the top.  I would need probably 10 orders to make this a worthwhile project.  So, if you're interested post here and I'll start looking into the parts again :)

870551[/snapback]

I'm interested but I just like to know something are new joystick going to let us have use of the number key pad? ;)

The cases are made of plastic.

They would still not have any option to use the number pad. To make a long story short, to do so would be extremely hard and make it cost quite a bit more. Besides, the intent is for games like Raiden and Defender, not for games like Iron Soldier and Doom.

I've found that even with my MAS stick which has a joypad connected to it for the keypad usage, it's kinda a waste. Dan's stick is awesome and very well built. I believe I have the LX version, I'd like to get just a regular one if you do another run Dan. Either way I'll probably get at least one more from ya! :)

I could put 2 of your sticks on my other Kiosk, instead of the one MAS I have there now.... NICE!

Hello,

Can MAS Systems build a stick for the Jaguar you think?....maybe like a stick with C,B,A, Pause, Option...and then a splitter to allow the Jaguar pad to connect to it....much like the 5200 joysticks of it's day.

Or perhaps someone has already built a stick, I just don't know about it?

Before Atari folded, there was a guy called Ben Aein who sold quite a few sticks

for the Jaguar in a woodeen housing, with arcade controls. In fact, he helped me

get in contact with some developers who kitted me out with my first Alpine etc..

From the Atari Jaguar FAQ of old... and he *long* since stopped making them.

* Ben Aein

B.Aein@genie.geis.com

(301) 251-0997

- LAPCAT.  Joystick controller.  Lap/table-sized joystick controller.

12" x 11.5" x 3".  Arcade-quality build, with steel joystick shaft

and reed contact buttons.  Six large fire buttons are provided, and all

Jaguar controller keys are available.  Available in left-handed or

right-handed models (fire buttons on the side of the hand).  A "Lapcat

Pro" is also available.  Write to Ben for pricing details.

Lap-Cat Arcade-style Joystick $75+$15 shipping

Ben Aein, 613 Northcliffe Drive, Rockville, MD 20850.

Of course, as has been written already, other people have produced sticks for

the Jaguar too, including the very nice Goat Store ones (not that I've got one)

and of course it's pretty simple to make one yourself from an old Sega stick.

In fact, I've made a few Pro Arcade sticks, minus the numeric key pad, but

with shoulder buttons. Sadly, at this time, I have no track of my JS creations,

as I traded them away several years ago to people for whom I was just kind!

I didn't realise how hard it would be to track down the ideal sticks again when

I wanted to make one for myself, because there's a particular 3rd party stick

I was using which is robust, has 10 black buttons (including pause and option)

and 3 buttons in grey, and 3 buttons in black, plus red "shoulder" buttons.

I just stripped out a standard controller and soldered the innards to that...

if I find another suitable joystick housing, I'll create a step-by-step howto.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

post-3013-1118481021_thumb.jpg

Interesting! The more I think about it...the original Sega(Genesis) Arcade Power Stick would be a perfect guinea pig for this project...it's sturdy, has all the necessary buttons, and has a turbo feature as well....how difficult would it be to make the Sega Arcade Power Stick work on a Jaguar.....heck doesn't it even have the same cable and plug?

Edited by Gunstarhero

Hello,

Interesting! The more I think about it...the original Sega(Genesis) Arcade Power Stick would be a perfect guinea pig for this project...it's sturdy, has all the necessary buttons, and has a turbo feature as well....how difficult would it be to make the Sega Arcade Power Stick work on a Jaguar.....heck doesn't it even have the same cable and plug?
You need space to mount the original Jaguar controller circuit board inside the

case of the new joystick controller, and you need to use the original Atari Jaguar

cable usually, because the Sega cable is only 9 pin, and the Jaguar is 15 pin. A

Jaguar joypad has the same kind of connection as a VGA cable as a reminder...

If everything fits inside, just hope the new joystick does not use stupidly small

surface tracks for the connections to the buttons, because you need to cut all

the connections from the buttons to the Sega circuitry, and solder wires from

the Jaguar controller PCB to the Sega buttons, or their supporting PCB instead.

Usually you have to cut some tracks, butchering the PCB, then wire up the Jag!

It's much easier to make a new arcade style controller if you have a case, as

then all you have to do is wire up the buttons to the Jaguar controller PCB. It

would be nice if somebody would create and distribute some small custom PCB

for the Jaguar controller, I'm sure it could be done in minimal space very fast.

Converting a joystick is a pain, very fiddly, and you may end up buying more

than one joystick only to find that the innards are impossible to adapt for Jags!

I have bought probably 4 or 5 old joysticks over the years that were useless.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

IIRC Dark Knight Games made some Joysticks for the Jag the although I'm not sure if they incorporated a Pause and Option Buttons.

If you want a Joystick that also lets you use the Keypad there then do a search here for JagStick, unfortunately only the original analog prototype existes at the moment as I have invested in manufacturing Multi-Taps ATM, but when I hopefully get some money in from the sales of those I am hoping to make a version for USB joysticks that will output both Standard JagPad and Encoded Analog outputs so that developers and write games with analog control that do not require Jags to be fitted with ADC's.

IIRC Dark Knight Games made some Joysticks for the Jag the although I'm not sure if they incorporated a Pause and Option Buttons.

873990[/snapback]

Dark Knight Games never made any of their own products. They did sell two different joysticks through their site for the Jaguar -- the buggy Flight Stick that they were planning on selling about 100, but only had about 15 made because the company making them realized they didn't work on all models of the system, and the Team 13 / GOAT Store stick add-on, which was essentially a joystick sticking off the D-Pad of the pads. There were about 40 of those sold.

My last question I have to help me decide if I can get one is the approx. weight. being in Australia postage could be a lot, so just wondering the weight.

i know this could be a silly question as you dont have any but I need to ask before i commit to ordering one.

thanks

Lee