IGNORED

PSP swap exploit for playing homebrews on bios 1.5

Shannon

Yes ladies and germs the 1st PSP exploit for running homebrews on v1.5 PSP's has come out.

Of all things it is a memory stick swap exploit so for those of you wishing to "fumble" with this, have fun.

So far the only thing I've tried so far is the Genesis emu which certainly has a way to go. I'm currently loading up my memory stick with other homebrews to see how well they run.

Oh and dont bother trying to run the SNES9x emu yet. Apparently it does not work with this exploit. ;)

Just my luck it was the first one I tried. :lol:

Now it's time to give my PSP some lovin'. :lust: :lust: :lust:

Edited by Shannon

Seems a 2nd version was released to fix some issues it had with certain homebrews (like the SNES9x, MAME, and NeoGeoCD emu) among others.

While poking around with the "manual" method of creating these files it looks like they are taking advantage of some "timeout" feature of the PSP that occurs when you switch memory sticks. It "timesout" on the read. This is just a guess on my part though.

As far as the mem-stick swapping part it aint so bad... I've actually gotten pretty good at it. Setting up the homebrews to run using this exploit is where the big pain in the neck is.

Just a quick run down of emu's I've tried.

SMS - sega master system / gamegear emu. No sound and still slow with frameskip

DoomPSP - actually runs real nice but the sound is crap and it wont play the Doom1 full wad file.

Gameboy emu - No GBA emulation, but the mono and color emulation is nice. This one has got sound! (full speed)

Genesis - no sound. slow even with frameskip.

InfoNES - Seems full speed, with sound. Does not to seem to have as much support for mappers as NesterJ (see below)

MamePSP - one of the most odd versions of MAME I have ever seen. It runs a fair amount of early/mid 80 titles. But the sound is a bit scratchy, it's not full speed (even when CPU is set to 333), and has weird bugs and lock-ups.

NeoGeoCD - still have not figured this one out.

NesterJ - May have better mapper suppor, but the it's slow and no sound.

Snes9x - This one has me confused cause I think a couple versions are floating around. You can get close to full speed if you turn off the stupid auto frameskip. This one has sound.

PCE TG16 - This one is nice almost but not quite full speed with sound. Some titles wont run at all.

Wonderswan - Have not tried it yet.

All -n- all not bad. Compared to the GP32 the GP32 comes out slightly ahead but when you consider these emu's have only been out less than a month I'm sure they will eventually surpass the GP32 emu's. Bad thing about some of these emu's is they still display troubleshooting information while running.

Also almost all the emu's are NOT in english, and our pals over there seem to prefer the O button over the X button so the controls are a little wacky.

Yeah... in Japan, the O button in Playstation games is used to confirm decisions, while the X button is used to cancel them.  It's part of the culture over there... O means "OK" while X means "NO".

JR

875500[/snapback]

So explain why it's also like that on SNES games, where the laebels are B and A. :P

Yeah... in Japan, the O button in Playstation games is used to confirm decisions, while the X button is used to cancel them.  It's part of the culture over there... O means "OK" while X means "NO".

JR

875500[/snapback]

Yeah the problem with that logic when it comes to emu's is it tends to interfere with the button assignments/placement. But once you get used to it it aint too bad, just odd pressing O and Triangle for fire buttons. When I'm used to X and O.

1.51 and 1.52 wont work with the hack and word has it sony is gonna make some UMD games so they will not play unless you upgrade your firmware. :(

Forgot to mention that I found a SMS/GameGear/soon to be colecovision emulator that actually has sound.