IGNORED

This is a genuine PAL 'Heavy Sixer'

Pipster

I have just collected this and i don't think anyone can now say there is no such thing as a PAL 'heavy sixer', i made an offer to a bloke selling it as a 'woody' on ebay and he accepted it, it was a substantial offer i hasten to add. He had no idea that it was a 'heavy sixer' even though he considered himself a dealer and i had seen him selling at a local car boot sale, he seemed perfectly honest and told me he had bought it from an old couple for £6 and they had had it since new. Surely if he'd known anything about Atari stuff he could have sold it as a 'Heavy Sixer'?

You can see from the photo that it has Cherry Leisure tape on the box and the instructions say the same as does the box for the power supply and the power supply itself, it also comes with hex disc joysticks (the discs are missing) but normal paddles.

post-3562-1119560638_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560667_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560694_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560721_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560744_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561025_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561070_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561125_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561183_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561416_thumb.jpg

I have just collected this and i don't think anyone can now say there is no such thing as a PAL 'heavy sixer', i made an offer to a bloke selling it as a 'woody' on ebay and he accepted it, it was a substantial offer i hasten to add. He had no idea that it was a 'heavy sixer' even though he considered himself a dealer and i had seen him selling at a local car boot sale, he seemed perfectly honest and told me he had bought it from an old couple for £6 and they had had it since new. Surely if he'd known anything about Atari stuff he could have sold it as a 'Heavy Sixer'?

You can see from the photo that it has Cherry Leisure tape on the box and the instructions say the same as does the box for the power supply and the power supply itself, it also comes with hex disc joysticks (the discs are missing) but normal paddles.

post-3562-1119560638_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560667_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560694_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560721_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119560744_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561025_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561070_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561125_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561183_thumb.jpgpost-3562-1119561416_thumb.jpg

879704[/snapback]

Can you post a pic of the underside of the system, please?

I'm interested to see the sticker with the serial number, etc.

Nice system!

Here you go, tomorrow i'll take it apart and see if there's a build date piece of paper and check the revision number on the board.

post-3562-1119561982_thumb.jpg

Here's the ebay auction as well, and please note i had secured the deal two days ago, before any bids had been placed but he still has it up for auction.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by Pipster

Here you go, tomorrow i'll take it apart and see if there's a build date piece of paper and  check the revision number on the board.

Here's the ebay auction as well, and please note i had secured the deal two days ago, before any bids had been placed but he still has it up for auction.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

879707[/snapback]

Cool - that sticker is similar to mine - ie no FCC conformity declaration.

I suspect that it's the real deal. But it'll be interesting to see what's inside. Mine didn't have the paper attachment.

Hi Pipster, could you tell us the number on the lower bottom left hand corner of the label? I think it begins with CO or something. Also, have you actually tested it with a PAL TV and a PAL cart?

Edited by Hendra

Lol, also own a PAL Atari have sixer. Live in a PAL country. I like these machines better then the JR. Versions. For some reason it seems that picture quality is also better, because of better RF shielding? At the back it says "MODEL NO CX-2600 A" and it has 6 switches on top. It was made in Hong Kong.

If you look at this leaflet that came with the console you'll notice that the paddles aren't marked 'ATARI' but say 'PADDLES' and the joysticks don't have the word 'TOP' on them and don't have hex discs either, exactly like the ones i've just got.

post-3562-1119646463_thumb.jpg

If you look here you'll see the same thing about another boxed PAL heavy sixer...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59545&hl=

Edited by Pipster

Not every heavy sixer is a "heavy sixer". :)

Whats the difference then, mine looks exactly as the one posted here in this topic only it says "MODEL NO CX-2600 A" with the A at the end.

880423[/snapback]

Look carefully at the corners on the lower front of the machine. Pipster's has smooth curves. Most of the HK-made 2600s have angular plastic there.

The "heavy" machines are also, guess what, a little heavier then the regular 6-switch woodgrain models.

Do you have any pictures of your machine?

Thanks for the advice, I checked and it indeed has smooth curves at the lower front. Don't know if its heavier because I can't compare it. But mine was thus made in Hong Kong and his in Sunnyvale.

I shall upload some pictures tomorrow.

(btw. I had to look up the word 'angular', didn't know what it meant in my language (dutch) but now I know its 'hoekig' :) )

Prt. I'm confused now, ive attached some pictures of my system so please tell me what I have :) Notice that Taiwan is overwritten with H. K. (Hong Kong probally)

I think its the same of Pipsters, but im no expert.

BTW, at Atariage 2600 Consoles and Clones there is a pic placed for the CX2600A with only 4 buttons on top, mine is also an CX2600 A (see pictures) with 6 buttons.

Greets.

post-6948-1119707157_thumb.jpg

post-6948-1119707201_thumb.jpg

post-6948-1119707223_thumb.jpg

post-6948-1119707255_thumb.jpg

Still curious why the pic on atariage for the CX2600A has only 4 buttons and mine 6 oh well...

The model "CX2600A" was the four-switch model that was released in 1980-81. Your system is an anomaly. The probable story behind it IYAM is that when Atari started making four-switch systems, they simply used up older (read: six-switch) parts to get rid of them, and the tags for the new systems got stuck onto them.

Could be something else though, just my theory.

Still curious why the pic on atariage for the CX2600A has only 4 buttons and mine 6 oh well...

The model "CX2600A" was the four-switch model that was released in 1980-81. Your system is an anomaly. The probable story behind it IYAM is that when Atari started making four-switch systems, they simply used up older (read: six-switch) parts to get rid of them, and the tags for the new systems got stuck onto them.

Could be something else though, just my theory.

880826[/snapback]

The VCS I had at that time also had 6 switches also every model of my friends had that much so for me the 4 switches model is an "anomaly".

I auctioned one from EBay last year and wonder why it had only 4 :)

Btw. I live in Germany (a PAL country).

Probably because Atari originally planned to put speakers in the console.

Is anyone else tempted to take a Heavy Sixer and put a little stereo amplifier circuit with speakers in it? It would be rather cool to have it as it was _meant_ to be. Wonder where the volume control would go though....

Still very tempted, specially given I have a spare heavy 6er. :)

Probably because Atari originally planned to put speakers in the console.

Is anyone else tempted to take a Heavy Sixer and put a little stereo amplifier circuit with speakers in it? It would be rather cool to have it as it was _meant_ to be. Wonder where the volume control would go though....

Still very tempted, specially given I have a spare heavy 6er. :)

881690[/snapback]

I'll do it when I get back, I have a spare big sexy I can do that to.